Page 1 of 2
title says it all really... what pick-ups could i put in a fender strat to get a really nice metal tone?

i don't want to spend more than £150 on anything.

help much appreciated.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
Are we talking an HSS or normal Strat? If it's HSS then an EMG 81 is right up your alley.
DiMarzio D-Sonic
DiMarzio Evo
Duncan JB
Duncan Fullshred
EMG 81,85,60
BKP Warpig
BKP Nailbomb
DiMarzio D-activator x
Dimarzio D-activator
DiMarzio Breed
Dimarzio Evo 2
Dimarzio X2N
Duncan Blackout
Duncan Dimebucker
Duncan Invader
Duncan Livewire
Duncan Distortion

those are all humbuckers... are you looking for singelecoils? or is your strat HSS

EDIT: some good single coils are
DiMarzio Air norton s
DiMarzio Chopper
DiMarzio Fast Track 2
DiMarzio Super Distortion S
DiMarzio YJM
Duncan Blackout S
Duncan Hot Rail
Duncan Hot Stack for strat
Duncan JB Junior
Duncan li'l screamin demon
Duncan Lil' '59
Duncan Quarter pound flat
Duncan Quarter pound staggered

I personally like the DiMarzio YJM for metal
Last edited by Killedelphia19 at Jun 26, 2009,
Quote by CoBRaGe
I personally despise people who play metal with a strat.

So you're going to make a personal judgement on someone based soely on the guitar the play?
Do you have an SSS or HSS strat, and what bands because metal is a broad genre.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by CoBRaGe

So you despise Iron Maiden and Andreas Kisser of Sepultura?

Grow up child, and never mind strats, a Fender Telecaster is a far more manly guitar that any of your pussy pointy things.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by CoBRaGe

sorry, was in a rush to post that. forgot other details. metal stuff i mainly play... bullet, trivium, in flames, and stuff similar to those. however my band is a post-hardcore band, so something that fits that too would be perfect. i've not been playing long, and dont know what SSS or HSS mean... the one i have at the minute is single coil, however i've been considering buying one which has humbuckers.

i use two amps, a spider III 15 watt for practise (dont kill me please... i was young and foolish when i bought it) and a spider 212 valve (best amp ever)

so.. yeah suggestions? thanks to killedelphia already. thats a pretty neat list.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
HSH? what are all these abbreviated terms?! i'm confused.

also, another question, would it make a difference if i put it in the neck pickup to if i put it in the bridge pick-up?

thanks for all your help guys!
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
if its the 3 single coil style of strat, I would go with a Dimarzio Tone Zone S or Super Distortion S. mine has the super distortion and it sounds awesome . Guy I used to jam with has the same guitar, but with the tone zone and his sounds awesome.
They're pickup configurations.

HSH= Bridge humbucker, middle single coil, neck humbucker
HSS= Bridge humbucker, middle single coil, neck single coil

Are you asking what would happen if you switched the neck pickup with the bridge pickup? The different pickups are wound and developed differently to work the best in their normal position. The neck pickup probably isn't as hot, and has a smoother tone due to its position. In the bridge pickup, it probably wouldn't be as strong as the normal bridge pickup, and might have decreased harmonic response or something.
Okay, first of all you really shouldn't be worrying about replacement pickups and whatever until you at least know the difference between humbuckers and singlecoil pickups, and the difference in sound between bridge and neck positions of the guitar.
Secondly both of your amps are modelling amps. That means whatever you put through them, the amp will try it's hardest to make it sound a specific way. So changing pickups won't really do all that much.

For what it's worth, I would suggest a full humbucker for the bridge position. Probably something like a Seymour Duncan Custom 5, which would have high output and a modern tone.
For the middle position I would suggest a Seymour Duncan Hotrails singlecoil pickup, which is actually a humbucker but in a singlecoil size. It's got a lot of output but not as much full bass as a regular humbucker so it'd balance better with the middle position.
For the neck I'd suggest either a full DiMarzio PAF Pro or Seymour Duncan Jazz or Pearly Gates humbucker, or another Seymour Duncan rails singlecoil pickup depending if your guitar was HSS or HSH.

However would also strongly advise, before you think about any pickup upgrades, getting a new amp instead. An regular all-valve amp with no modelling is going to be the only way to get those full tones you're after.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Okay, first of all you really shouldn't be worrying about replacement pickups and whatever until you at least know the difference between humbuckers and singlecoil pickups, and the difference in sound between bridge and neck positions of the guitar.
Secondly both of your amps are modelling amps. That means whatever you put through them, the amp will try it's hardest to make it sound a specific way. So changing pickups won't really do all that much.

For what it's worth, I would suggest a full humbucker for the bridge position. Probably something like a Seymour Duncan Custom 5, which would have high output and a modern tone.
For the middle position I would suggest a Seymour Duncan Hotrails singlecoil pickup, which is actually a humbucker but in a singlecoil size. It's got a lot of output but not as much full bass as a regular humbucker so it'd balance better with the middle position.
For the neck I'd suggest either a full DiMarzio PAF Pro or Seymour Duncan Jazz or Pearly Gates humbucker, or another Seymour Duncan rails singlecoil pickup depending if your guitar was HSS or HSH.

However would also strongly advise, before you think about any pickup upgrades, getting a new amp instead. An regular all-valve amp with no modelling is going to be the only way to get those full tones you're after.

this
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
Quote by MrFlibble

+1 if you only intend to play metal. the point of modelling is versitility NOT tone. if you just want one good tone, there are plenty better amps out there.
If you don't want an amp, and are willing to go active, the EMG SA is an amazing single coil. My personal favorite. Followed by the DiMarzio Area 58? I think it's called.
Quote by mamosa
If you don't want an amp, and are willing to go active, the EMG SA is an amazing single coil. My personal favorite. Followed by the DiMarzio Area 58? I think it's called.
Using active pickups with a modelling amp is completely pointless and stupid though.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Don't put EMG's in a strat.

Seymour Duncan 59
Dimarzio SD

Or for SSS get a nice hotrail.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by silly hats at Jun 26, 2009,
Quote by steven seagull
So you despise Iron Maiden and Andreas Kisser of Sepultura?

Grow up child, and never mind strats, a Fender Telecaster is a far more manly guitar that any of your pussy pointy things.

Fenders are oh so manly. Jacksons are way more manly than Fenders. Yngwie rocks a fender. Most really metal bands don't rock with Fenders though. Iron Maiden is metal but they aren't as near as heavy as many modern metal bands. Pointy guitars kill Fenders. Fenders aren't made for metal. Think of the gauge of strings. EMGs come standard on those pointy guitars. Fender I believe has only one guitar that is made for metal and thats Jim Root's guitar from Slipknot.
SPIDER 212 BEST AMP.. you kidding me ....?

yeh id say save up and get A BETTER AMP ... (STAY AWAY from line6 ) a nice Peavey 5150/6505+ .. or if thats too expensive a Bugera 6262 / 333 would do the Trivium and Bullet tones probly the best and then get a new guitar ...
Quote by brad777no
Fenders are oh so manly. Jacksons are way more manly than Fenders. Yngwie rocks a fender. Most really metal bands don't rock with Fenders though. Iron Maiden is metal but they aren't as near as heavy as many modern metal bands. Pointy guitars kill Fenders. Fenders aren't made for metal. Think of the gauge of strings. EMGs come standard on those pointy guitars. Fender I believe has only one guitar that is made for metal and thats Jim Root's guitar from Slipknot.
I hope this is a really, really bad attempt at a joke.
Quote by MrFlibble
I hope this is a really, really bad attempt at a joke.

Took the words clean out of my mouth.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by kakos

yeh id say save up and get A BETTER AMP ... (STAY AWAY from line6 ) a nice Peavey 5150/6505+ .. or if thats too expensive a Bugera 6262 / 333 would do the Trivium and Bullet tones probly the best and then get a new guitar ...

There's nothing wrong with line 6 in general, so stop being a bandwagoner.

The spider valve isn't the best amp but they're pretty good.
Usually I would agree with most of these guys that a pickup swap isn't going to make that much of a difference. Through a modeling amp, even the Spider Valve(P.S. Don't state your opinion as fact. Tone is subjective, so even if you think your Spider Valve is the best amp ever, others very well may not. And then they get all butthurt like what happened here.), a pickup change probably isn't going to make AS MUCH of a difference as it would with a proper tube amp. That being said, in this scenario we're talking about trying to play metal with a guitar that has single coils. What I would suggest, if you don't want to route your guitar out to fit humbuckers, is to put a single coil sized humbucker in at least the bridge position. Which one you want is up to personal taste, so you'll have to decide for yourself. Here's Seymour Duncan's single coil sized pickups that will fit in your strat. http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/stratocaster/index.php?page=2 Look for the ones that are "stacks". My suggestion would be a Hot Rails, but go ahead and listen to the sound clips on the site and decide which one you like best.

This Guy is Stupid.
|
\/
Quote by brad777no

Your aware fender owns jackson right? and that even though iron maiden don't us as much gain there strats are modded to have high output duncans in them. Also Charvel is who is also owned by fender (well really jackson but in the wider picture fender.) makes starts and teles built for metal.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by gstacey1
Your aware fender owns jackson right? and that even though iron maiden don't us as much gain there strats are modded to have high output duncans in them. Also Charvel is who is also owned by fender (well really jackson but in the wider picture fender.) makes starts and teles built for metal.

Really, the fact that Fender owns Jackson has no relevance whatsoever except that people tend to agree that their pre-fender guitars are the best.
I dont care. jacksons are better for metal than fenders. Anyone who disagrees doesn't listen to the heavier metal genre. A dropped c fender is an abomination and those two things shouldn't be even mentioned together.
Quote by kakos

yeh id say save up and get A BETTER AMP ... (STAY AWAY from line6 ) a nice Peavey 5150/6505+ .. or if thats too expensive a Bugera 6262 / 333 would do the Trivium and Bullet tones probably the best and then get a new guitar ...

Have you ever even TRIED a Vetta?

They're 1700 dollars for a reason, you know.

Quote by brad777no
I dont care. jacksons are better for metal than fenders. Anyone who disagrees doesn't listen to the heavier metal genre. A dropped c fender is an abomination and those two things shouldn't be even mentioned together.

Ha. Ha ha. Ha ha ha.

Dude: ANY solidbody can be a metal guitar with the right pickups and amp. Maybe it won't have a floyd, big freaking deal. I've played metal on an SSS strat, for god's sakes. It sounds FINE.

Anyway, TS: Amp first. A nice Mesa, Marshall (NOT MG OR AVT), Carvin, Peavey, etc. would suit you.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Jun 27, 2009,
Quote by brad777no
One of the guitarists from nile recorded all their albums with a fender strat. Nile is probably heavier than anything you listen to as well. Also to the guy that is looking for a new pick up for his strat. If its a humbucker that you are looking for check out bareknuckle war pigs. Really nice pick up for metal.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
Quote by brad777no

We have a place for people with your IQ. It's called The Pit. Please get the hell out of here and into The Pit.

Quote by frog_friend
One of the guitarists from nile recorded all their albums with a fender strat. Nile is probably heavier than anything you listen to as well. Also to the guy that is looking for a new pick up for his strat. If its a humbucker that you are looking for check out bareknuckle war pigs. Really nice pick up for metal.

BKP's are nice. Personally, my choice is the Seymour Duncan Blackouts or the D-Activator X model.
I MIGHT get BKP's if I ever decide on one, and get the money.
Quote by MrFlibble
Using active pickups with a modelling amp is completely pointless and stupid though.

At many, many gigs the amps are provided. And a lot of them are tube amps.

EDIT:

Quote by brad777no

I agree that an unmodded strat isn't the best for metal... but wtf does pointiness have to do with anything??? A LP can play metal, and it's less pointy than a strat.... And the JR Tele that I played was WAY WORSE that a strat at playing metal. The JR Tele is a POS that Fender makes for a POS band because that POS band is popular.

BUT, people, Iron Maiden's strat are pretty much only strats in that they are produced in the strat shape and are named strats. They are basswood, have sc sized humbuckers, have OFRs, etc. So don't use that as proof that strats are good for metal.
Last edited by mamosa at Jun 27, 2009,
To those who say you cant play metal with a strat:

Look up Karl Sanders from Nile and Jon Levasseur ex-Cryptopsy.
Gear:
Fender Standard HSS Strat w/ Tone Zone bridge
ESP Ltd EC-1k Black cherry
Carvin DC127 blackburst with Bareknuckle Warpigs
Peavey 6505+
TS, It's definitely worth looking at replacing the bridge single with either a stacked humbucker or a full sized one. That'll give you a little more oomph and fatten up the sound which is definitely something you'll be lacking right now with the stock single. However, to put a full sized humbucker in there you'd need to replace the pickguard and also check that the guitar is routed for one, there may not be space. I wouldn't go overboard though, and you need something that's going to work well with the strat. For single-coil sized buckers look at the Duncan JBjr, Dimarzio Chopper or Dimarzio Super Distortion S, for full sized humbuckers Dimarzio Breed or Norton or the Duncan Custom Custom.

With regards to all the off-topic stuff I never said that Fenders were ideal metal guitars, I just pointed out that you could play metal on them.

In terms of manliness though it's no competition, pointy guitars just mean you're compensating for your own lack of manliness, it takes true balls to go out with a simple, no frills guitar like a Tele or Strat.

Tele - Joe Strummer, Keith Richards, Bruce Springsteen, Pete Townshend, Jimmy Page
Strat - Dave Murray, Adrian Smith, Janick Gers, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Ritchie Blackmore, Rory Gallagher, Buddy Holly

even Jack Bauer bows down to people who possess that much testosterone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by mamosa
BUT, people, Iron Maiden's strat are pretty much only strats in that they are produced in the strat shape and are named strats. They are basswood, have sc sized humbuckers, have OFRs, etc. So don't use that as proof that strats are good for metal.

What?!
The 'Iron Maiden' Strat released a few years ago has no relation to equipment used by the band.
Iron Maiden use Standard Strats [Alder, etc.].
Heck, Dave Murray has a standard HSH strat - still with vintage trem [now a Floyd].
Even Janick has a vintage trem.
Adrian has a SSS Floyd [as well as his HSS Jackson].

And you're a moron is you think changing pickups makes a Strat less of a Strat.

Quote by steven seagull
TS, It's definitely worth looking at replacing the bridge single with either a stacked humbucker or a full sized one. That'll give you a little more oomph and fatten up the sound which is definitely something you'll be lacking right now with the stock single. However, to put a full sized humbucker in there you'd need to replace the pickguard and also check that the guitar is routed for one, there may not be space. I wouldn't go overboard though, and you need something that's going to work well with the strat. For single-coil sized buckers look at the Duncan JBjr, Dimarzio Chopper or Dimarzio Super Distortion S, for full sized humbuckers Dimarzio Breed or Norton or the Duncan Custom Custom.

With regards to all the off-topic stuff I never said that Fenders were ideal metal guitars, I just pointed out that you could play metal on them.

In terms of manliness though it's no competition, pointy guitars just mean you're compensating for your own lack of manliness, it takes true balls to go out with a simple, no frills guitar like a Tele or Strat.

Tele - Joe Strummer, Keith Richards, Bruce Springsteen, Pete Townshend, Jimmy Page
Strat - Dave Murray, Adrian Smith, Janick Gers, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Ritchie Blackmore, Rory Gallagher, Buddy Holly

+1 to entire post.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Jun 27, 2009,
Quote by CoBRaGe

I personally think you are stupid by saying that

Edit:
Quote by brad777no

Quote by brad777no

How stupid and how much of a kid are you? go away.

TS, as it has been said already, consider a full size humbucker (I don't know wether or not you'll need to re-route) or a stacked one
Last edited by Woozye at Jun 27, 2009,
Quote by Pac_man0123
Really, the fact that Fender owns Jackson has no relevance whatsoever except that people tend to agree that their pre-fender guitars are the best.

It somewhat does because instead of fender pumping out there own line of guitars to keep up with the increasing number of people who play metal they're just using jackson.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by steven seagull

Page 1 of 2