Currently I obviously play the guitar. I'm teaching myself. I'm also talking piano lessons, while I really enjoy. I played clarinet in 6th grade, and succumbed to peer pressure to stop playing even though I also really enjoyed it. I'm entering my senior year this fall, and since 6th grade I've wished I didn't quit band. While I can't join the band, I'm thinking of picking up the clarinet again.

I can read music (from piano) and have about 1-2 hours to practice music a day during the school year. If divided up evenly it'd be 20-40 minutes per instrument. Would this be too much on my plate? I'm not exceptionally good at either piano or guitar; I've progressed a lot faster on the piano than guitar simply because I have a good teacher...I'd self teach myself clarinet until I get to college.

So...is it a dumb idea to pick up another instrument when I still have a long ways I want to go on the ones I'm currently working on?
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
I didn't literally mean "dumb;" what I meant was will I be too inefficient to progress much on any give one.

As long as your short practice for each instrument is focused you'll do fine.
Yeah as long as you are practicing right. Why would someone peer pressure you to quit playing clarinet? I learned piano, singing, and guitar at the same time, and I never felt like I was not gaining anything.
Quote by UtBDan
this man hits the nail on the head.
no, i play a lot of different instruments and i learned some of them at the same time. though i didn't have a strict practice schedule, i just picked them up and played them whenever i felt like it.
Quote by blueriver
Yeah as long as you are practicing right. Why would someone peer pressure you to quit playing clarinet? I learned piano, singing, and guitar at the same time, and I never felt like I was not gaining anything.

Basically, no one actually said anything. I was just a stupid kid back then, and since none of my friends were in band (although most of my friends now are the band kids), I didn't have fun. I've changed a lot in these 6 years though.

Learning 3 instruments at once is fine. Just focus during practice instead of dicking around.
Practicing fundamental stuff on clarinet for 20-30 min. a day should be fine as long as you're focused and determined and really work at it. piano and guitar should be fine.

As for myself, I'm learning piano and continue to practice guitar quite often and I play alto sax in band and at one point during the school year I was re-learning tenor sax also. And this year I want to re-learn clarinet and also learn either trumpet or trombone. It's not really a problem for me. Also, my friend has learned keyboard, guitar, and drums in quick succession for the band (he's our drummer now) and he's fine. The key is to practice. As my band director used to say, "Perfect practice makes perfect."
Quote by lt22
"Perfect practice makes perfect."

I had a clinician who extended that.
Perfect Practice makes perfect
Mediocre Practice makes mediocre
and Crappy practice gets you nowhere.
I play guitar main, then clarinet, then teaching myself piano.
Just prioritise them. For me, just 20mins a day on guitar is not enough, i forget everything too fast (but ig uess this changes for each person). For clarinet the stuff I'm doing is a lot easier, so I can just do that 20 minutes a day. Piano, on the other hand, I am really impatient with and get frustrated when I can't pick things up in the first 15 minutes so I tend to jsut stop and sulk for a bit after 15 and go play guitar :P

my main point: prioritise them.
You could easily do it.

Off topic, Ive never met a clarinet player who actually LIKED playing clarinet
Quote by tubatom868686
You could easily do it.

Off topic, Ive never met a clarinet player who actually LIKED playing clarinet

you've obviously not met many clarinet players.
I love playing clarinet.
it's the sexiest instrument of the orchestra. Long slender, and black :P
yea its not as hard as one might think.the key to learning a couple or more instruments at once is to learn music theory.music theory is like a universal language that all instruments speak.if you learn theory then you can play any instrument you want while cutting practice time and learning more in the proccess.
I learned piano, saxophone and guitar at the same time at one point in my life. It was very fun and new to me. I'd never back down the decision to learn as much as you can.

Quote by jmonster48
yea its not as hard as one might think.the key to learning a couple or more instruments at once is to learn music theory.music theory is like a universal language that all instruments speak.if you learn theory then you can play any instrument you want while cutting practice time and learning more in the proccess.

This. If you learn a little bit of theory, you're learning a little bit of all the instruments at the same time.

I'm practicing three instruments at one time too, and haven't had a huge issue with it, just stay consistent with it... which I've had issues before with. I recommend that out of all three, you should have a main focus on one of them.
Quote by mdwallin
it's the sexiest instrument of the orchestra. Long slender, and black :P
And you can blo... no, never mind. ;-)

TS, I think it'll actually help you progress. Each instrument will generate you some measure of insight you might not get from the others. The key, in my opinion, is sticking to a practice schedule. You might grow tired of practicing 2 hours a day.

I think, since a teacher is helping you to learn the piano, that should be your highest priority. You wouldn't want to waste his/her time. As for the others, be careful when self-teaching to pay attention to your position. It's easy to mislearn the proper way to hold an instrument, and very hard to unlearn it.

And why exactly can't you join the band anymore? Are you leaving your school? Are band programs limited to a certain age, or did you burn some bridges?
well you may find that everyday you may not want to play all 3. for example, i play gitar as my main instrument. but im learning the chromatic harmonica. i also play a bit of mandolin and piano and bass. now luck for me because i already play guitar, switching to mandolin and bass isnt too hard. for mandolin, i just needed to get used to the tuning, but i already know how to play a fretted string instrument. so some instruments have some crossover. piano i basically play it when i feel like it. im not too serious about it so im not concerned with practicing everyday. i find for some reason i dont get too rusty on the piano. im not really sure why. maybe its because i dont play anything complicated on it. the chromatic harmonica im also taking slow. i dont practice that everyday either. but i think i might soon. i might practice chrom during the day and guitar at night.

now ask yourself, what do you want to achieve with each instrument? do you want to be a clarinet, guitar and piano virtuoso? if so you are probably bitting off a little more than you can chew. if your love is the clarinet, make that the priority. with piano for me, i dont want to be the next chopin or anything, i just want to be able to play some songs really. so i dont make it a huge priority. i play it when i feel like it. i do however want to be the best i can at guitar. so that gets 1st place on priorities. the good thing is that you dont just forget everything if you dont play everyday.

i say play what you love and enjoy the most first. try playing all three and im betting that sooner or later you will find one you love more and you will start to focus on that more.
i think it would be sort of difficult at first but u'd get the hang of it and you shouldn't let ppl tell u what u should play cuz its ur decision
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
I highly reccomend it. There's a bunch of instuments I wished I had learned to play (piano, saxophone, violin, and I wish I was good at drums). Also, musical abilities transfer pretty well into different instruments in general (I'm talking musical abilities here, not motor abilities).

You made me remember how much I still wanna learn other instruments haha.
Quote by Withakay
And you can blo... no, never mind. ;-)

TS, I think it'll actually help you progress. Each instrument will generate you some measure of insight you might not get from the others. The key, in my opinion, is sticking to a practice schedule. You might grow tired of practicing 2 hours a day.

I think, since a teacher is helping you to learn the piano, that should be your highest priority. You wouldn't want to waste his/her time. As for the others, be careful when self-teaching to pay attention to your position. It's easy to mislearn the proper way to hold an instrument, and very hard to unlearn it.

And why exactly can't you join the band anymore? Are you leaving your school? Are band programs limited to a certain age, or did you burn some bridges?

Thanks a lot everyone for the advice. I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my clarinet, but I'll search Craigslist for one. I'm currently reading a great book that within the first few pages has helped me understand a lot of theory (this book) .

I can't join the school band because I'm entering my senior year and to be in it I would have had to do it from Freshman year. It's a pretty stupid rule...

I think my priority is: piano, guitar, clarinet. This summer I'll learn the clarinet notes (well, main ones anyway) and some more theory (basically, have clarinet my 2nd priority) so when the school year rolls around I can go back to my aforementioned list.

Thanks again everyone.

Oh, and if anyone knows a good clarinet to look for, under about $250 (I love looking used), please recommend. I don't remember what brand mine was earlier, but I know it was wood, which I prefer to plastic.

Definately not a bad idea. You'll learn so many transferable skills, not to mention with all that reading for homophonic and polyphonic instruments you'll have a great overview of how music works. Try it. If you enjoy it and feel you get something out of it, keep going. All of us have a long way to go on whatever instrument(s) we study.
I took piano and drum lessons at the same time while playing the clarinet in school band, and teaching myself guitar.

Just don't do what I did and left every other instrument for one, because after a few years, you start to lose memory of where the notes are and how to play it.
Quote by intentionsthere
I highly reccomend it. There's a bunch of instuments I wished I had learned to play (piano, saxophone, violin, and I wish I was good at drums). Also, musical abilities transfer pretty well into different instruments in general (I'm talking musical abilities here, not motor abilities).

You made me remember how much I still wanna learn other instruments haha.

I play saxophone and I think it's pretty easy to be honest. At least compared to guitar.

Yeah, just make sure you have enough time to practice them all. If you don't then you're not going to get anywhere.
Dumb people are dumb.
It's a proven fact.
Even stupid people are considered dumb sometimes.
Me? I'm not stupid or dumb.
I'm retarded.
Quote by Psalm 150:4

Oh, and if anyone knows a good clarinet to look for, under about $250 (I love looking used), please recommend. I don't remember what brand mine was earlier, but I know it was wood, which I prefer to plastic.

I tihnk it would be EXTREMELY hard ot find a good wooden clarinet for under $250
At the moment the Jupiters are really great, buffets are popular (but **** in my opinion). For your level (still learning clarinet notes) I'd say stay with a plastic. The new Yamahas are fantastic, and I'd say almost as good as a wooden clarinet if not the same. They have this new thing in the neck bit that really helps intonation.
Are you learning piano or are you learning "piano"? A lot of people now days use the piano the way a guitar would be used, while they are two different instruments. One of those ways is harder but more rewarding to learn. I'll let you decide which.
I'm about to start playing three instruments at one time also. I've been taking guitar lessons on and off for five years and since I recently graduated from high school and I'm between jobs, I've had about two weeks now with nothing to focus on but music. I'm noticing an improvement in my mediocre guitar playing and I love it.
I'm also teaching myself piano. I find it easier to read music and apply music theory on piano because the notes are laid out in a straight line, but I'm having trouble making my hands move independently of each other. But I love the way piano playing combines bass and melody, so it's very rewarding.
For about six months I've been thinking about playing the mandolin. I think it would improve my guitar playing and I like the idea of fusing mandolins with alternative or indie rock.
I'm a little concerned about learning three instruments at once since I'm about to start college and two new part time jobs, but my solution is:
1. To make guitar practice a priority, everyday
2. Play the other instruments as much as possible
3. Stop sleeping/invest in energy drinks
4. Have fun
Play the music, not the instrument. ~Author Unknown

blackzeppelion
Who's the band that could become the next led zeppelin?
Ovenman
Iron blimp.
J.A.M
Aluminum helicopter.
Ovenman
*Breaks out periodic table* Magnesium bi-plane.
learning new instruments complement your main instrument so it is a great idea. It is also great for musicians to be good at various instruments. I really enjoy seing zappa´s videos with lots of multi-instrumentalists doing wild music.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
Quote by Psalm 150:4

Hey, it's gonna be next to impossible to find a decent playing wood clarinet for that little money. I don't know how much instrument shopping you've done, but its a definite process, and you gotta be careful about it. Like, I wouldn't buy any instrument you don't get the chance to play. And I don't mean like, oh, this is a Buffet R30, and I've played an R30 before, so that means I've played it. Especially if you're buying used, you have to play that exact instrument, because every instrument is different and instruments age differently. Make sure it can do everything you need to do, and take a friend along with you, maybe someone who also plays your instrument, to listen or help you out. Be very careful if you're gonna buy of Ebay or Craigslist, a lot of people just aren't that honest with you and you'll end up with a very subpar instrument.

My advice to you is to maybe spend a little bit more for an instrument that will actually last, because getting a crap instrument now is only gonna cost you more in repairs and ultimately require you to get a new instrument anyway. I recommend www.wwbw.com, and I see that you're from North Carolina, so if you're up for a road trip you can take a trip up to Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center near DC, its a ways, but I they sell for ridiculous low prices, and you can try things out til your heart's content.
"I love music, it's not like math. In music, 2+2 can equal 5, if it's a pretty enough 5." -Samuel R. Hazo

"Alle menschen werden bruder- all men become brothers"
-Ludwig Van Beethoven, from his 9th Symphony.

-John
im doing two instruments and its going fine for me. I'm playing the guitar on my own and the tenors in my schools band. If your gonna do multiple instruments just make sure you find time for both.
i'm doing the same thing but just not a clarinet, i love instruments, the more the better