I know bringing action too low may make it easier fretting but also harder bending strings but it's typical around the middle of the neck.
Is it a good idea to bring down the action at the first fret as low as possible?
Just want to know if there's something I don't know before doing anything.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

1st fret is really close to the nut, so to get any change in action would probably require cutting the nut down

easy to mess up tho imo
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Yep. Forgot to mention that I am going to take out the nut and sand it down. This has nothing with the string height at the bridge.

ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Yeah, basing action off the 1st fret not a good idea. Measure your action at the 12th fret. Measure your neck relief. With proper neck relief, and assuming your frets are level, you should be able to lower your action (measuring at the 12th fret) until your guitar is more comfortable and easy to play. If you don't know what any of this terminology is, then please do your guitar a favor and take it to a tech for a setup.
Quote by hminh87
Yep. Forgot to mention that I am going to take out the nut and sand it down. This has nothing with the string height at the bridge.

The bridge height wont make a huge difference to action at the first fret

Think of it like a triangle, the strings being one line and the fret level being another
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Guys... Please read my post properly...

I am asking about lower action at the nut side. This means sanding the underside of the nut down so that the strings are closer to the first frets top.

It should make fretting easier on the lower registers and should not effect much on anything else. I am just being cautious on this because I cannot easily just back off on the nut once I filed it down.

ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I had this done on my cousins guitar, made a HUGE difference in playability. Just note that there is no going back if you sand it down to much, you will need a new nut.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
The problem with doing this is it'll force you to have higher action at the middle and upper frets, and it can severely screw up intonation. Generally unless you have a compensated nut, having a particularly lowered nut is nothing but a problem.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^ The nut is Earvana Compensated nut. Will the intonation get knocked out if I lower the nut severely?
Like, right now it's almost a 1mm between low E and 1st fret. I would like to lower it to around 0.2~0.3mm.

ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

If it's a compensated nut then do not try to lower it's height. Compensated nuts are carefully cut to give correct intonation at the optimum height, lowering it (or raising it, come to that) will throw the intonation off even more than a regular nut.

However, you could get a new compensated nut cut that is already lower (and cut for the lower height). This typically means taking the guitar off to a qualified luthier to do the work (unless you can do the work yourself - but if you were that good then you wouldn't have made this thread in the first place so there you go).

The other thing I'd add is that lowering the nut that much to a third of a millimetre off the fret will cause you endless fretbuzz and mean you'll have to very drastically raise the action and increase the neck relief, overall making it harder to play. 1mm off the fret is already very low.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.