I'm looking for an eq, and I'm pretty tight on budget.
I've been reading alot of posts about eq arguments, and I know most people suggest the mxr 10 band, but I don't have too much money to shell out right now.
I want to know if it's worth it to have an eq, even if it's the cheaper fish and chips, in order to just have an eq. I may upgrade down the road, but is it wise to go ahead and get this one now to help adjust my tone?
lawlkyle
It is a great EQ on a budget. The F&C will do the job without adding noise. You can use it as a EQ or a boost.
I don't get the point of an eq :S
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Quote by demitriv

Me neither....I only have one to roll off the harshness I get sometimes when using certain presets...
The Gear:

Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Yamaha RGX A2
PRS Custom 24 SE
Amps:
VOX AD100
VOX AD15
WTB: Line 6 Vetta II
Rack:
Shure PGX Wireless system
Line 6 Pod XT Pro
Behringer Compressor
Extra:
Line 6 Pocket Pod
Mackie 802
Yamaha HS50M
Quote by demitriv

it adjusts frequencies between Bass-Mid-High, I don't need one right now either but they seem nifty.
Quote by demitriv

To shape your tone in a way that is more precise than your amp's equalization section can? Seems pretty obvious to me
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by nightraven
do you know what an EQ does and what the differences between all the EQ pedals around is?

what do you need it for? just because practically everybody on this website has one on their board doesn't mean it's necessary. fun fact - on other gear forums hardly anybody has one on their board...

I haven't powered up my EQ pedal in months now. In fact, it's probably going in the classifieds tonight with the 535 and the Bad Monkey.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
If you need one get it (if your amp is terrible trebly or bassy and you don't like it)
The Danelectro is decent if your on a budget but you should probably just save
Last edited by Rhoads_1096 at Jun 26, 2009,
don't mean to threadjack, but is the Boss GE-7 a good EQ? by good, i mean reliable, not noisy? my buddy has one he is looking to sell, so i may take it of of his hands.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by nightraven
well all EQs are noisy to some extent and of course it suffers the boss buffer but if i were to buy a cheap EQ it'd be either that or the danelectro

what would be a good price for the GE-7? it is used, but in immaculate condition. the guy used it twice, and it was while jamming with me.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by nightraven
but do you need that?

are you planning on having a complex zigzag EQ setting

As a musician who has performed before and spent alot of time in studio's, An E.Q Can really help you give the edge to your tone.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by nightraven
things like the MXR 10 band have as much edge as a satsuma

*Google Search*

ZZZZZZZING!

Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by nightraven
things like the MXR 10 band have as much edge as a satsuma
i've no doubt that the most focused EQs (pedals and racks) are useful in a live situation for cutting through but the majority of the people on this forum expect far more from an EQ than they're going to get. just the other day there was someone in the market for an EQ pedal that could get them high gain sounds, progressive sounds and clean sounds
and in regards to studios - EQing is far better done post-production with a proper parametric EQ while you're editing, rather than a cheap pedal at a mixdown...

i should have pointed out i was talking about semi decent ones, And i think your right about what people are expecting, but untill they try out a 15 band rack-mount, most people won't know that.

And in the studio i didn't use any "Cheap Pedal's" at mixdown, guitar was plugged into a lovely rack system which had a 15 band E.Q on it, Used to use straight slider E.Q's on a guitar over a parametric E.Q, however, Always used a parametric on drum overheads and snares and they are alot more diverese than the slider ones, seems you have mroe "Control" to the sound.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If you want it on all of the time get a rack eq but if you using it on the fly get a USED mxr 10 band.

By the way does anyone else agree with me that danelectro has the stupidest pedal names. They must all be ****ing high when they are working. Tell them to get there head out of their ass and to start thinking.
Quote by Deanguitarist39
If you want it on all of the time get a rack eq but if you using it on the fly get a USED mxr 10 band.

By the way does anyone else agree with me that danelectro has the stupidest pedal names. They must all be ****ing high when they are working. Tell them to get there head out of their ass and to start thinking.

?? The Cool Cat range all have normal pedal names like "Transparent Overdrive" and "Fuzz"
Quote by ZanasCross

Quote by cliff_em_all
?? The Cool Cat range all have normal pedal names like "Transparent Overdrive" and "Fuzz"

Yeah but WTF is up with fishNchips. Were not at long john silvers xD
Quote by nightraven
yeah i agree that proper EQs are great pieces of kit. but so many people here want an EQ just so that they can have 'more control'. then funnily enough you still see their MXR 10 band EQs in the pedalboard thread set totally flat except for a mid scoop
i personally think graphic EQs are much better used on an entire mix to do a final leveling out, or as part of a PA. but i think you can make everything slot together a lot more effectively with the parametric on each of the various tracks. although there is the risk of sterilising the whole mix if every instrument has a distinct block of EQ with no overlap.
it's all opinion in that respect i find it fun to tune up something like a guitar with a parametric EQ. the amounts of sounds you can squeeze out of a simple recording is far bigger than with a graphic EQ (especially one with only 10 bands spread across the whole frequency spectrum...)

i think dunlop should start naming their pedals properly too. taking MXR's name in vain.

I have a 31 band eq and I love it. It is perfect for recording a song. People say 31 bands is a useless overkill but those extra bands can be used to eliminate unwanted noise. A 31 band eq is much more versitile than a pedal. A pedal eq will give you just allot more bass or mids but with a rack eq you can totally shape your tone. I have a nady qew 131 which I got for $80 bucks new and let me tell you it blows the mxr 10 band eq away. It also wiped the boss ge7 off the face of the earth.
Last edited by Deanguitarist39 at Jun 27, 2009,
Quote by Deanguitarist39
Yeah but WTF is up with fishNchips. Were not at long john silvers xD

Long John Silvers?

Is this some kind of resturant?
Quote by ZanasCross

Quote by nightraven
silly yanks don't know the magic of fish and chips

Luckily im from the country that made it thank you very much
Quote by ZanasCross

Quote by nightraven
you're so lucky

dutch fish and chips are nowhere near the english league. ours doesn't even come in old newspaper

why on Charlie Sheen's green earth would you want your food served in NEWSPAPER?! that's disgusting.

here in Canada, we do the sensible thing with french fries... smother them in gravy and cheese.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by nightraven
it's all about the mojo, dude

.....you did WHAT in my fries!?!?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by nightraven
lol i know. i fully agree with you.
i'm just a parametric kind of guy

Have you tried the Empress EQ at all, nightraven? I really like the look of it but I can't find it anywhere.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by nightraven

seriously it's not fish and chips without the tone colouring of the newspaper

any englishman will agree

It's been a long time since I've had fish and chips....interesting food the English have...French cuisine tastes better though .
The Gear:

Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Yamaha RGX A2
PRS Custom 24 SE
Amps:
VOX AD100
VOX AD15
WTB: Line 6 Vetta II
Rack:
Shure PGX Wireless system
Line 6 Pod XT Pro
Behringer Compressor
Extra:
Line 6 Pocket Pod
Mackie 802
Yamaha HS50M
I prefer the Danelectro FishNChips to the Boss Equalizer personally, the Boss sucks alot of tone. (But that is my personal opinion)