I just bought a used 5150 combo yesterday and am wanting to experiement a little bit with its looks. I've got the backplate of the chassis section off but dont want to go any farther for fear of screwing something up. How do you properly remove the 5150 logo faceplate?
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
it's just a piece of wood screwed to the grill if i remember correctly. it's a tight space though so you might have to take the tubes out to get in there.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
it's just a piece of wood screwed to the grill if i remember correctly. it's a tight space though so you might have to take the tubes out to get in there.

I believe youre right, there's a screw on each side of the wood. Problem is obviously very limited space to do that like you mentioned, what is the proper way to remove tubes? (this is my first tube amp so bear with me) I've heard you basically just have to slowly unscrew each individual one and place it somewhere it wont get dirty and when youre done, put them back on the same way?

to take the tubes out you basically just pull them straight down. if they're really tight just give them a little wiggle back and forth while pulling at first and they should come out easily.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Ok, so after a little bit of prying, the tubes actually are not in the way at all, the right side (looking at it from the back, side of ther pre-amp tubes) is not problem to get to, its the other side. There is this black box looking thing that is completely in the way and almost touching the bottom of the head section from the chassis, is there a way to remove it without taking off the tolex from the top of the amp and removing the entire chassis?

Quote by Metalcoresoul
Ok, so after a little bit of prying, the tubes actually are not in the way at all, the right side (looking at it from the back, side of ther pre-amp tubes) is not problem to get to, its the other side. There is this black box looking thing that is completely in the way and almost touching the bottom of the head section from the chassis, is there a way to remove it without taking off the tolex from the top of the amp and removing the entire chassis?

That sounds like the transformer. Don't take out what's not in your way.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

There it is, its the black box behind the power cord. How do I take that off or get around it to remove the faceplate?
Attachments:
100_2768.JPG

wouldnt touch your transformer mate, all sorts of hellish things could go wrong if you damage the coils or the connections.

btw, i think you should retolex it in fender tweed style, just because the concepts of 5150 and tweed completely clash.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

I ended up removing the entire chassis and was able to get to the faceplate, one problem tho, the grill is basically embedded into the wood panel .

Quote by Metalcoresoul
I ended up removing the entire chassis and was able to get to the faceplate, one problem tho, the grill is basically embedded into the wood panel .

Its probably stapled like all the other 5150's. Just look for them and start pullin..