So i got my first stack and i have no idea how to connect the cab and head. I know im supposed to use speaker cables instead of instrument cables so i went to radioshack (local music store is about 20minutes away so i went here)to find one but they only had "audio cables". Will those work?

Here is the description:

Ideal for: Connecting two components that have a 1/4 mono jack
Shielded: To preserve signal strength and to reduce interference and hum
1/4 mono male to 1/4 mono male

I cant actually try it yet because the head hasnt arrived in the mail yet :/ but using my common sense it looks like it wont work.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1 with DiMarzio Evolution Neck/Bridge
Line 6 PODxt Live
Last edited by Octactboogie at Jun 26, 2009,
Quote by Octactboogie
So i got my first stack and i have no idea how to connect the cab and head. I know im supposed to use speaker cables instead of instrument cables so i went to radioshack (local music store is about 20minutes away so i went here)to find one but they only had "audio cables". Will those work?

Here is the description:

Ideal for: Connecting two components that have a 1/4 mono jack
Shielded: To preserve signal strength and to reduce interference and hum
1/4 mono male to 1/4 mono male

I cant actually try it yet because the head hasnt arrived in the mail yet :/ but using my common sense it looks like it wont work.

Sounds like it. Although, any music store will have them too.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

So they will work? I dont wanna get the wrong wires
Gear:
Line 6 PODxt Live
just look for 'Professional speaker leads'

a speaker lead is essentially a superstrong double ended jack cable designed to handle the power going from amplifier to speaker.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

That is not the correct cable. You could fry the cable when cranking the amp. That cable is for audio signals at line level or below, and not for delivering power in a low impedance circuit.
musiciansfriend
guitar centre
zZounds

they all carry speaker leads if im correct, or in the case of the uk, GAK carry speaker cables.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

No. I'll find one for you, hang on.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live-Wire-1414-Speaker-Cable?sku=331177#new

EDIT: That link you gave is really badly described. All I know is it looks like an instrument cable, and all of the reviews say they are connecting pedals with it

My one's definitley a speaker cable
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Jun 26, 2009,
The one i linked clearly states speaker cable...but whatever
Gear:
Line 6 PODxt Live
True, but reviews state otherwise, and it has the smaller jack plug that usually comes on an instrument cable

This Cable is Tough!
This cable is very durable. I bought the 6 foot version to use with my pedal, and it still works flawlessly after a year of use. The cable is very cheap and comes with monster's lifetime warranty so it's hard to go wrong.

I have had this cable for well over a year now, and it hasn't shown one sign of aging. I use this cable to plug my guitar directly into my amp. It gives amazing sound quality for a very pretty price. This cable is excellent for any use. Definately a great buy.