Page 1 of 2
well?

I havent changed the strings on my epiphone black beauty for about a year lol
Last edited by raikohruins at Jun 26, 2009,
depends
if i forget to wipe them down after a gig and they rust.... the day after the gig

or bedroom guitar....once every 2 months if you wipe it down ( my hands sweat bad)
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
I have to change mine once every month, usually.

By the end of the month putting on new strings is like getting a new guitar.

I play to much.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
once a month
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Whenever my high e breaks.
Quote by aldo47
(i thought hot strings would make me finger faster.)
so i tried to set my strings on fire by putting a lighter on the high e string n it cut it so wtf??!!? i passed the lighter rrly slowly by it for less then a sec n then it snapped...
Whenever a string breaks
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
i change my high strings, quite a few times a year..i almost never touch the low strings, then again im an idiot
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
My Gibson has had the same strings on it since it left the Memphis factory a year ago. Still plays and sounds fantastic. Nothing beats old strings.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I change my strings when they don't sound good anymore.
Control your destiny.
Quote by habits
I change my strings when they don't sound good anymore.

I would love to do this, but I cant afford to right now. I usually change my strings about once a month, but if I could I would do it at least once a week.

oh, and also I use elixir anti-rust strings, which last longer...I go through a set of normal strings in about a day or two.

I cant believe some of these answers! A YEAR?! How often are you guys playing? Like an hour or two a week?!
It depends... once every 3 months on average, but sometimes it's longer just from laziness.
Every 2-4 months. I would change every couple of weeks but that can get a bit expensive for a miserly sod.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
another question that gets every so often

every 2 weeks depending on how much playing i`ve done on which guitar

last time i`m answering this noob question.
Every 3 weeks to a month. Mind you, this is with plain D'addario XL's, which last about that long IMO.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Never....only replaced a High E once....but then again I only get to play about 6 hours a week anyways.....
The Gear:

Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Yamaha RGX A2
PRS Custom 24 SE
Amps:
VOX AD100
VOX AD15
WTB: Line 6 Vetta II
Rack:
Shure PGX Wireless system
Line 6 Pod XT Pro
Behringer Compressor
Extra:
Line 6 Pocket Pod
Mackie 802
Yamaha HS50M
Quote by chainsawguitar
I cant believe some of these answers! A YEAR?! How often are you guys playing? Like an hour or two a week?!
2-3 hours a day, most days of the week. I try and fit in at least half an hour of practise even on days when I'm otherwise too busy to practise properly.

And yeah, I leave my strings on for as long as possible, I would never change them at all if I could. Generally the only time I'll change strings is if I want to do something to the guitar that requires all the strings have to be taken off, e.g. replacing the bridge, setting it up for a drastically different tuning/string gauge, etc. Otherwise I leave them on there as long as possible, a year or more is not unusual for me. I had a bass that had had the same strings on it for three years. Old strings sound and feel much better than new ones. When/if I do ever change strings, I usually won't then play that guitar properly for at least a month and a half, until the strings have started to wear in a lot.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
When i can afford to! XD. Usually about every 2-3 months. Unless i get bored and want to change them.
Gear:

• ESP LTD SC 207
  • Washburn X200 PRO E
  • Squier Strat (in bits LOL)
  • Line 6 Toneport ux1
Quote by PirateXc
whenever something breaks
or every 1-2 months
whatever comes first

This.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
When ever I break a string
Quote by Snake™
Yeah, becuase Buckethead is like 6' 8" and his hands are bigger than George Lopez's head.

Quote by Scutchington
"You've been... THUNDERSTRUCK!"
About every two month, give or take a few weeks. It's about time for me to change them, getting rusty.
Keeping it real since '92
Wow...i must be playing the crap out of my guitar....once every two weeks about....
Maybe i just play like an asshole?

Haha....Mind you, these are D'addarios, but I haven't had much better luck with Elixirs either.
- ChrisBob
Quote by MrFlibble
Old strings sound and feel much better than new ones.

I completely disagree with this statement, to the point where I can barely comprehend it.

A string will deform with age, which will affect sound negatively in many ways. The string, regardless of how well your guitar is intonated, will eventually become fatigued to the point that it is out of tune with itself in different parts of the neck. Noticeable wearing will occur over the frets, killing a lot of sustain and the string will sound quite dull, because the higher order harmonics can't ring on a string that has deformed.

As for how they feel, the build up of grime and corrosion increases friction, the wear over the frets will give the string a very uneven feel.

I'd like to know, specifically, what aspects of feel and sound you prefer with older strings?

I'll change the strings on a guitar I'm regularly playing at least twice a month, possibly three times.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
It depends on how many packs of strings I have. I don't buy them very often, Sometimes I just replace one string if I broke one and the replacement is of lesser quality.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Quote by Trynstopme
Haha....Mind you, these are D'addarios, but I haven't had much better luck with Elixirs either.
The only time I've ever had strings break on me was twice when I tried D'Addario strings. Other than those two times, I use just Ernie Ball or Gibson strings on all my guitars and I've never had a breakage with them.

Quote by Prophet of Page

I'd like to know, specifically, what aspects of feel and sound you prefer with older strings?
New strings always sound too bright and 'springy' even when well stretched. I also find the tone doesn't seem to respond to my playing as well either, as if I've stuck a compressor on there. As it so happens I find I get better defined harmonics out of old strings too, compared to new strings.
As far as feel goes all I can say is they don't feel 'right'. It's like the difference between playing on a high-gloss poly-finished neck (new strings) vs a worn-in semi-satin nitro-finished neck (old strings). An old nitro finish simply inexplicably feels better than a brand new poly finish, just as old strings inexplicably feel better than brand new strings.
Whenever I feel I need to. I'm picking up a new pack of strings this weekend. I might get one for my acoustic, too. Last time I changed those, there was snow on the ground. /=
I replace mine every two to three weeks. They normally wear faster than that but replacing more often than that is rediculous and expensive.
When I'm bored, have nothing to do, and feel like treating my guitar to something new
But otherwise, once every 6 months really.My amp fund can't take any more than that
REAL MEN HAVE NO SIGS
Quote by oneblackened
Every 3 weeks to a month. Mind you, this is with plain D'addario XL's, which last about that long IMO.

yea, I use the XL-115's(11/49) and about a month or a little more it's time to change. when I was using ernie balls, they didnt last near as long
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Quote by MrFlibble

As far as feel goes all I can say is they don't feel 'right'. It's like the difference between playing on a high-gloss poly-finished neck (new strings) vs a worn-in semi-satin nitro-finished neck (old strings). An old nitro finish simply inexplicably feels better than a brand new poly finish, just as old strings inexplicably feel better than brand new strings.

I like the sound and response of new strings AND I like poly finishes.

You are my foil!

On topic: I change my strings when they break. That varies from a couple days to a couple months depending on what genre mood I´m in.

Except one time my strings were on long enough to go false, which I then of course changed them... no one likes false strings.
Last edited by Vlasco at Jun 27, 2009,
Depends on how much I'm playing. But on average I probably change them once every 1.5 months to 2 months.
depends on how much i play the guitar but elixirs tend to last me around 3 months so i change them then and every 6 months give the guitar a good clean while changing strings.
i usually change strings every 2-3 weeks depending on wear and rust. i guess i like the new string feel as they are breaking in good. nothing like some crisp strings
~GEAR~
Dean Vendetta XM
Schecter Damien FR
SD 59/JB
Raven RG100H/RG412
Crate GT-15
Delta Lab Metal Distortion
Boss DS-1
Meastro Overdrive
DOD Tec8
EB STHB 10-52
Dava Picks
Quote by MetalMan313
i usually change strings every 2-3 weeks depending on wear and rust. i guess i like the new string feel as they are breaking in good. nothing like some crisp strings

try elixirs mate they hold the new string sound for a fair amount of time
Dean Markley Blue Steels Light Top Heavy Bottom .10-.52 are my favorites

Unfortunately, they don't seem to work well with EMGs
whenever i clean my guitar.... like every month i guess... but i LOVE the sound of fresh new string... sounds so crips (most people dont like that mind you)...

also... HOW much does strings cost in everyones country?... so many ppl saying they cant change their strings because they cant afford it... its not that expensive even here (southamerica) where inflation is like a verb used in every sentence
Last edited by just17n8 at Jun 27, 2009,
Page 1 of 2