My rhythm guitarist and I have been talking about rhythm and playing in the pocket and stuff. So it came up that he finds it easier to stay in the pocket because he doesn't need to pay attention to his playing. So he's able to play his parts mindlessly and not even think about what he's doing and in fact he can carry on a conversation while he's playing. And it's not that his parts are mind-numbingly easy or anything. But I can't do that. I have to focus on what I'm playing and what I'm playing next and he says as a result I can't hear how the song sounds. Is it a mark of bad musicianship that I can't play my parts effortlessly? Is it even a problem that I can't?
Thanks in advance.
No, it sounds like you just haven't quite got the grasp of the song yet. That's not saying anything negative, it takes some time and it's something that everyone goes through.
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.
im like you i cant play mindlessly but i have learned to play and listen by playing the part slow and then just speeding up just like you were practising
playing and talking/singing is difficult for most. i can't quite do it unless i know the song backwards, upsidedown, and in my sleep.
just practice singing along so some songs that u know.
Quote by scrambler_66
No, it sounds like you just haven't quite got the grasp of the song yet. That's not saying anything negative, it takes some time and it's something that everyone goes through.

I agree, it should come to you with practice. I can now play a song while explaining to someone how I'm playing it...but thats because of practice when I'm teaching. Anyway. anything that you think might make you a "bad musician" can be worked at with practice.

Practice is the answer.

...now I think I've said "practice" too much lol
I know all the songs perfectly, I just can't focus on much else as I'm playing or I lose my place.
And he's a terrible singer.
You have to find the groove and lock on to it.

It is hard to describe, but once you find the groove it is like your body can go on autopilot.

Try this. Don't focus on your guitar part, but instead, focus on the overall groove of the song. What the bass, drums and rhythm guitar are doing and the general feel/groove they are creating.

Lock on to that, and hopefully, with practice, your guitar part will fit into the groove, i.e. be in the pocket.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
You can do one of the two to improve:
1) Practice that specific song until you can play it in your sleep, then attempt to sing while playing.
2) Practice singing and playing in general. Just like pretty much all the things in life, this can be improved with practice too. Start with some punk, most of the time you'll have powerchords in eights, then after a few runs through the song try to sing (the words) or just sing the vocal melody.

It's really based on making your hands independent of your mouth. Think of the drummers, they should have each limb independent so they could play up to 4 different rhythms at once. Perhaps now making voice independent from guitar playing doesn't sound so tough?
I've always thought that it is just how people are wired. I can't carry out a conversation while playing not matter how well I know the song, I'll just get off.
lol, this is a psychology question. I'll attempt to answer it with my limited VCE level psychology knowledge.

Tasks can either be simple or complex (I forgot the actual terms, sue me). Complex tasks require more brain power and more attention. Generally, a task can become simple if it's repeated enough. For instance, for me driving was a complex task. I couldn't talk and drive at the same time. But after 30 hours of experience (only 90 hours to go before I can get my full licence), it's a simple task and I can drive automatically (with my brain, I don't mean an automatic car). I can therefore divide my attention between the two stimuli, the road and my annoying dad.

It's the same with you and your songs. He's learnt a song so well that it's become an automatic process to him. He can therefore divide his attention. You, on the other hand, have not practised your song and therefore you have to focus all your attention on your song (this is called selective attention, IIRC).

Yes, you are a bad musician because you didn't learn your songs. If you were in my band, you'd be kicked out.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
If you were in my band, you'd be kicked out.

u dont put up with any crap do you? haha

but yea, its all a matter of practice... start off with easy songs and work your way to harder songs... Kill em all stuff will be a good step up. and then Master of puppets will be a good step up, and so on...
Quote by demonofthenight
Yes, you are a bad musician because you didn't learn your songs. If you were in my band, you'd be kicked out.
Okay, that's a bit harsh. I think I take that back.
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Singing while playing is quite easy for me...but a conversation near impossible. I guess it's different for everyone.

Who needs to have a conversation while you are playing anyways? heh.
only 90 hours to go before I can get my full licence
You don't get a provisional license (P-plates) first?

When I was a lad, we only had to do 50 hours on our L's.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
You don't get a provisional license (P-plates) first?

When I was a lad, we only had to do 50 hours on our L's.
Anyone under 25? (I know is that these laws don't apply to immigrants) has to spend 120 hours with a full licensed driver when they're on their L's. When your parents are too scared to let you drive, this is sort of difficult. I can barely get an hour a week.

And yeah, I meant my P's.
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by kermitdf

Who needs to have a conversation while you are playing anyways? heh.

I've got two kids, ages 6 and 2. You learn pretty quick to have a conversation (or at least tell small people not to get into stuff) while playing.

But yeah, I agree, it's practice. If you know a piece really, really well, you can do it.
i'll put forth that some people just can't speak and play at the same time, but can do other things... i can zone out, i can focus entirely on another instrument, play my parts from muscle memory, think about other stuff while i jam, read something, etc... all while playing my songs. but i can only talk by fitting it in with the rhythm of what i'm playing, and singing is even worse. with practice, i could do it, but it's not something that will be accomplished purely by practicing the gutiar.
I thought only women could multitask
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by demoniacfashion
My rhythm guitarist and I have been talking about rhythm and playing in the pocket and stuff. So it came up that he finds it easier to stay in the pocket because he doesn't need to pay attention to his playing. So he's able to play his parts mindlessly and not even think about what he's doing and in fact he can carry on a conversation while he's playing. And it's not that his parts are mind-numbingly easy or anything. But I can't do that. I have to focus on what I'm playing and what I'm playing next and he says as a result I can't hear how the song sounds. Is it a mark of bad musicianship that I can't play my parts effortlessly? Is it even a problem that I can't?
Thanks in advance.

it would be a problem if you never learned how. but i think thats impossible. everyone has to start somewhere, even your rythm guitarist. some things come easier to others though. i can play and talk as well. but i couldnt for a while. it just takes time. thats what practice is for. you make things habitual so you dont even think about them anymore. eventually there will be a lot of things on guitar that you wont need to think about.