Page 1 of 2
solomon684
50 IQ
Ok, so I got this squier strat from a friend and I wanna do a bunch of stuff to it. I definitely wanna put in LEDs, also gonna change the pickguard (the current one is really yellowed and I hate that look), and Im gonna scallop the frets which I have never done before (never done LEDs before either, gonna need a lot of help when I get to that part). Any suggestions on other stuff is welcome

^^It's kinda hard to tell its yellowed in this pic, Ill try to get a better one, if you look near where the knobs would be you can kinda tell
Impossible is Nothing
Last edited by solomon684 at Jun 26, 2009,
ldnovelo
UG Addict
96 IQ
where are you putting the leds? just on the pickguard? on the sides of the body? or on the fretboard dots? how amany do you want? do you want them to be turned on with aswitch or when the guitar is plugged on or how?
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Jun 26, 2009,
PadawanGeek
Geek with a guitar
10 IQ
Ya know what would be really cool... get a clear pickguard (i think stewmac sells them) and then put leds under the clear pickguard.
Fender Mexican Strat W/ Custom HSS Pickups
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony
Blackheart BH5H
Epiphone 1x12 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Crybaby Original Wah
EHX Big Muff
A/B Selector Pedal
solomon684
50 IQ
Quote by ldnovelo
where are you putting the leds? just on the pickguard? on the sides of the body? or on the fretboard dots? how amany do you want? do you want them to be turned on with aswitch or when the guitar is plugged on or how?

I was gonna do around the pickguard and on each fret marker, but I dont know if I can do on the fretboard since I'm scalloping it, and if I can its gonna be tough to separate it from the rest of the neck. Not sure how many I want yet, think I want it to look similar to this though, and maybe around the perimeter of the guitar too, like this , and have then turned on by a switch

Quote by PadawanGeek
Ya know what would be really cool... get a clear pickguard (i think stewmac sells them) and then put leds under the clear pickguard.

Nah, never really like clear pickguards, partly cause I just dont like the look, and partly cause my wiring looks like ****
Impossible is Nothing
Last edited by solomon684 at Jun 26, 2009,
solomon684
50 IQ
Quote by Invader Jim
I'll buy the current pickguard from you. PM me.

Got a serial, btw?

PM sent

Serial is CAE-0040712808

Edit: I dont think thats the serial number cause its the same number on the amp, and the amp has its own serial number, where would the serial number be?
Impossible is Nothing
Last edited by solomon684 at Jun 27, 2009,
BlackIce87
70 IQ
There's a company in the UK called The Aurora Project (google it). They Make pickguards with Leds that look amazing. They also sell necks that are prewired with Leds so the inlays light up. They're a pretty cool company and have glowing reviews ( no pun intended ).
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
Last edited by BlackIce87 at Jun 26, 2009,
Andybren8690
The Real Nowhere Man
20 IQ
I am a noob at this sort of thing, and i am thinking about LEDing my fretmarkers...How do you go about wiring the Leds? how and where do you run the wires in the neck?
Funny

(\__/)
(='o'=)
(")_(")
solomon684
50 IQ
Quote by Telecaster7
i want to know wether or not you get that fterboard off...

Me too, seems difficult, read that you gotta steam it off or something... still researching it though

Quote by BlackIce87
There's a company in the UK called The Aurora Project (google it). They Make pickguards with Leds that look amazing. They also sell necks that are prewired with Leds so the inlays light up. They're a pretty cool company and have glowing reviews ( no pun intended ).

The pictures I linked to are all actually from their website. I found them through a link someone posted here when searching for LED info
Impossible is Nothing
solomon684
50 IQ
Alright so I'm gonna pick up the stuff I need to scallop today or tomorrow, and after I scallop the fretboard (which is rosewood), how can I make it look like ebony? Do I have to stain it, or could I use a dark fretboard oil, cause I remember I saw someone here make it look like ebony by using fretboard oil, I think it was lumberjack
Impossible is Nothing
Invader Jim
?)
200 IQ
That wasn't a serial. They are 2 letters folloed by a string of 8 numbers (I think it's 8).

To make a fretboard look like ebony, simply get the darkest stain you can find (like ebony stain) and apply as many coats as you see fit without wiping it off. Then give it a good buff with 4-ought steel wool.
solomon684
50 IQ
Quote by Invader Jim
That wasn't a serial. They are 2 letters folloed by a string of 8 numbers (I think it's 8).

To make a fretboard look like ebony, simply get the darkest stain you can find (like ebony stain) and apply as many coats as you see fit without wiping it off. Then give it a good buff with 4-ought steel wool.

Had a feeling it wasnt the serial, but that all I see. The only other writing is where the neck attaches and there is an 8, and either an S or 5 seperate from each other, so I have no idea where the serial is
Impossible is Nothing
solomon684
50 IQ
Quote by Invader Jim
Hmm. That's odd. Any idea what year it is?

Nope, not a clue

The amp that came with it has a serial number though: AX0526717, maybe they have the same serial number since it was one of those starter packages, just a guess though....
Impossible is Nothing
solomon684
50 IQ
Quote by Invader Jim
It's a 2005 model, based on that amp serial. That's wierd. My 2003 affinity has the serial on the back of the headstock.

Does the 26717 part means it was made on Feb 6 and was the 717th one made, I remember reading that somewhere. AX is the factory or something i think
Impossible is Nothing
solomon684
50 IQ
Quote by Invader Jim
Idk about the other numbers. All I know for sure is the first 4 letters/numbers.

W.e no big deal

I think I'm gonna go with a tortoiseshell pickguard and some guitar fetish texas alnico staggered pickups, found here, but with black pickup covers. What do you guys think of that?
Impossible is Nothing
Nick James
10 IQ
LED in the fret markers are hard to do. i did one with a friend one time but they look sick! you would have to remove the truss rod and stuff

there is a website (i forgot it though) that has all the details
solomon684
50 IQ
Quote by Nick James
LED in the fret markers are hard to do. i did one with a friend one time but they look sick! you would have to remove the truss rod and stuff

there is a website (i forgot it though) that has all the details

Ive been reading that there is a chance that the fretboard warps/cracks/breaks so I'm kinda leaning away from it, especially cause I'd be pissed if it cracked after all the scalloping I'm doing, but Im not eliminating it for sure

Is there any chance you could find that website
Quote by Invader Jim
GF has great pups for the price. and black body w/tortoise guard=sex

Exactly.
Impossible is Nothing
solomon684
50 IQ
Quote by Invader Jim
I think you should keep the white covers tho.

Ill try both and see which looks better, already have the white knobs and stuff from before, and the black covers and knobs arent too expensive, it was like $4 from guitar fetish
Impossible is Nothing
Nick James
10 IQ
Quote by solomon684
Ive been reading that there is a chance that the fretboard warps/cracks/breaks so I'm kinda leaning away from it, especially cause I'd be pissed if it cracked after all the scalloping I'm doing, but Im not eliminating it for sure

Is there any chance you could find that website

Exactly.

sorry bro i have no idea what the website was...

and i think you should attempt the LED stuff first then scallop it and if you mess up just buy a cheap replacement
solomon684
50 IQ
Quote by Nick James
sorry bro i have no idea what the website was...

and i think you should attempt the LED stuff first then scallop it and if you mess up just buy a cheap replacement

I thought about that, but then there'd be LEDs in the fretboard, and I dont think it would be good to scallop them, ya know? They'd crack or break so Im gonna see if its possible to put them in after the scallop so their flush with the board, and if not, do something like this around the whole guitar
Impossible is Nothing
solomon684
50 IQ
"Finished" scalloping frets 12-21, I use quotes because the scallops arent completely uniform and some look pretty bad (such as 12-15), but I am going to fix all that at the end with sandpaper so it looks better, but overall I don't think its too bad for my first scallop, although it does need some work.

Actually, fret 12 definitely needs to be scalloped more, and Im gonna scallop frets 1-11 tomorrow

*resizing pictures*
Impossible is Nothing
Last edited by solomon684 at Jun 28, 2009,
AC/DC4EVA
Rocking And Rolling
30 IQ
wow the inlays are completly gone, i thought they went deeper than that
I own a Gibson SG Standard
And I am officialy recognized as an SG commando

Gibson 2009 SG Standard --> Peavey Classic 50 2x12

RIP Lester William Polsfuss aka Les Paul 1915-2009
RIP Stephen Ray Vaughan aka SRV 1954-1990
solomon684
50 IQ
Quote by AC/DC4EVA
wow the inlays are completly gone, i thought they went deeper than that

So did I, and they do on most guitars, but apparently they are extremely shallow on this guitar, which is ok with me because I like the look of no fret markers
Impossible is Nothing
AC/DC4EVA
Rocking And Rolling
30 IQ
alright, but youll have to do it some more then cuz u can still see a little white and half marker aint very noice
I own a Gibson SG Standard
And I am officialy recognized as an SG commando

Gibson 2009 SG Standard --> Peavey Classic 50 2x12

RIP Lester William Polsfuss aka Les Paul 1915-2009
RIP Stephen Ray Vaughan aka SRV 1954-1990
solomon684
50 IQ
Quote by AC/DC4EVA
alright, but youll have to do it some more then cuz u can still see a little white and half marker aint very noice

Well I dont want to scallop too deep, and the inlays are a bit inconsistent, so what I decided on doing is filling the inlay holes with wood filler, leveling it, and then staining it ebony
Impossible is Nothing
cedricsmods
has a lame subtitle.
50 IQ
Quote by Invader Jim
GF has great pups for the price. and black body w/tortoise guard=sex

Lol I have one of those and have always disliked it, but the guitar plays so darn good I could never get rid of it.

The scalloping doesn't looks so bad, you ought to be able to smooth it out fine.
I don't know much about LEDs in a guitar, but I'd think the easiest way to get the effect would be under a clear pickguard. Putting them in the fret markers would involve removing the fretboard I expect...and that would be much harder to re-glue now that it's scalloped.
solomon684
50 IQ
Quote by cedricsmods
Lol I have one of those and have always disliked it, but the guitar plays so darn good I could never get rid of it.

The scalloping doesn't looks so bad, you ought to be able to smooth it out fine.
I don't know much about LEDs in a guitar, but I'd think the easiest way to get the effect would be under a clear pickguard. Putting them in the fret markers would involve removing the fretboard I expect...and that would be much harder to re-glue now that it's scalloped.

What do you dislike, the GF pups, or the black with tortoiseshell?

Yea I'm not worried about being able to smooth it out, it shouldnt be a problem, but as of now I decided not to do the LEDs in the fretboard as inlays because its not worth the effort or risk, but I will be putting the other places
Impossible is Nothing
solomon684
50 IQ
Update on the pickguard

I was going to go with tortoiseshell, but I saw these ones at musicians friend and some of the colors are pretty nice, tell me what you think I should go with

Musician's Friend pickguards

Heres the body again for reference

Edit: Saw this, that looks pretty cool also, I think I might go with this
Impossible is Nothing
Last edited by solomon684 at Jun 28, 2009,
Kai07
GB&C's Black Guy/Anime<3r
81 IQ
PURPLE.

please for the love of god.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
cedricsmods
has a lame subtitle.
50 IQ
Quote by solomon684
What do you dislike, the GF pups, or the black with tortoiseshell?

Sorry I was unclear, I don't care for the tortoise shell on black. Out of those Musician's Friend ones, I'd go white or grey pearloid.
solomon684
50 IQ
Quote by cedricsmods
Sorry I was unclear, I don't care for the tortoise shell on black. Out of those Musician's Friend ones, I'd go white or grey pearloid.

Haha I'm just the opposite. I didnt like the white or grey, but I do like the tortoise shell, which I think I will go with

Almost done with the scalloping, will put pictures up in the next few days

Been thinking about the LEDs, I'm going to put an LED light strip go around the perimeter of the guitar with an on/on/off switch. One 'on' is where the LEDs are always on and for the other 'on' the LEDs respond to the picking.

For keeping them always on, can I just wire a 9v battery to the LEDs?

For the second one, would it work if I wire like this
pickups-->voltage buffer-->amplifier-->rectifier-->LEDs

Last thing would be how to wire it up to a 3-way switch...
Impossible is Nothing
Invader Jim
?)
200 IQ
Having them respond to the picking is where it gets complicated. jof1029 (iirc) posted a schem of a way to get that to happen, but you'll have to build a circuit.
Page 1 of 2