I've got a friend who wants to hook up a small 12w solid state practice amp to run through the speaker of a 50w bigger solid state amp. I've said that the ohms rating might be an issue but this thread is being posted to get advice on how to do it and if it is indeed possible.

Any help will be appreciated.
not possible unless you mess with the speaker wires...a line out jack is meant to go to a cab or mixer for recording, not into the input of another amp
I know that i looked into doing this (as i have two heads that i wanted to run through) a while ago. The pedal you need is a voodoo labs amp switcher (something like that) but its pricey.
Running that little 12w amp would be hard. You could do it if it had a speaker output feature on the back. You could just run that into the other amp and plug into the 12v
Quote by JayLacelle
not possible unless you mess with the speaker wires...a line out jack is meant to go to a cab or mixer for recording, not into the input of another amp
I don't believe he ever said anything about the lineout.

TS: don't worry about impedance with a solid state amp, but don't go below the minimum impedance (usually 4 ohms), if the speaker on the combo is hardwired to the combo's chassis you're going to have to disconnect it and attach a 1/4" jack to plug it into the speaker out of the 12 watt amp. You can't do it through a headphone output.
Quote by Zoot Allures
okay

he says he wants to 'run the signal from the 12w out of the headphone output into the speaker input on the back, is that possible'

No. The headphone output of the 12w amp is essentially a line out signal, probably in pseudo stereo. It is not intended to drive a large speaker although you're welcome to try it. The big amp may have a power amp in jack that bypasses it's preamp section and may accept the headphone out from the small amp. An effects loop return or in on the big amp may also accept the headphone output of the small amp and would operate only when the effects loop on the big amp was engaged. Be warned not to plug the speaker out of the small amp into the large amp inputs as you may blow something up. In fact there is a good chance you may blow something up anyway. Frankly I'd be surprised if you get a good sound out of this whole endeavor.
Last edited by BobDetroit at Jun 26, 2009,