ive been needing some help on somethin...here it is..say my band mates are playing progressions GDEC ...if im doin lead over G ...when they switch to D do i do lead on the d scale?
You can. It depends on how you want it to sound. Could you be more specific with your chords. Are they power chords or are you putting the 3rd in?
its Gmaj Dmaj Emin Cmaj..would i have to lower every 3rd on the scale when they play e min?
Quote by SEALSniper1152
As long as you stick in G you will be OK. But, if you wanted to change like you're talking about, you would use the mixolydian mode, beginning on D (so you're still in the key of G major).

No you wouldn't, that's not how modes work at all
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
E minor is the relative minor scale to G major, thus, it has the same notes.

i suggest you read lessons on scale and chord formation.

Edit:
Quote by SEALSniper1152
As long as you stick in G you will be OK. But, if you wanted to change like you're talking about, you would use the mixolydian mode, beginning on D (so you're still in the key of G major).

the fact that TS doesn't even understand the major scale yet means that mentioning modes will not do him any good.
Last edited by MapOfYourHead at Jun 26, 2009,
You could use a G Major Scale the entire time.
Or you Do a G Major, D Major, E Minor (which is a G Major),C Major. Play around with it and figure out what you like. Read the music Theory FAQ Sticky.
Quote by Roughneck-1
its Gmaj Dmaj Emin Cmaj..would i have to lower every 3rd on the scale when they play e min?

Just use G A B C D E F# anywhere on the neck. You can also try emphasizing chord tones (play G, B, D when the Gmaj chord pops up) to make your leads follow the progression. You could also just play whatever you want as long as you can produce the sound you are trying to achieve, there really are no rules to music, just ideas about what "works" and what doesn't.
Quote by Roughneck-1
Those chords all come from G Major (I V vi IV), so you can just use the G Maj scale over the whole thing.
G - D - Em - C.

You can use G Major over the whole thing because all the chords are in the G Major. However, you can also play G Major over the G, D Major over the D, E Minor over the Em and C Major over the C. It will sound different, so best thing to do is try both and see which one you like the sound of better,
Quote by steven seagull
No you wouldn't, that's not how modes work at all

It depends on how you look at it
Quote by Night_Warrior
It depends on how you look at it

No it doesn't, if you're playing in a typical diatonic progression in the key of G major then modes don't factor into the equation at all, they technically don't even exist.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
No it doesn't, if you're playing in a typical diatonic progression in the key of G major then modes don't factor into the equation at all, they technically don't even exist.

I believe they're trying to say "emphasize chord tones in your solo" rather than "use different modes of G Major on chord changes."