I've been wanting to learn and record some covers with my lead guitarist, but the problem is, he says he has a helluva time reading music (tabs or standard), and has a hard time learning when someone else shows him what to play. Is there anything I can do to help him learn some songs?

And on a semi-related note, what would be an easy Metallica song for a lead guitarist?
Teach him only the main riffs. When its time to solo, he improvises. I'm in the same situation, my lead guitarist only does solos. But, if he can't learn how to play someone else's songs, he might have more ability to write his own material. After all, isn't that what a band is all about?
From what I get out of this, your lead guitarist shouldn't be a LEAD guitarist.

On another note, Enter Sandman and Seek and Destroy are easy
I will say this....why is he the lead guitarist if he can't learn songs? And if you can learn songs...why don't you practice and become the lead guitarist?

But as far as I know from my experience...there are no shortcuts...he just needs to buckle down and learn. He is probably lazy and doesn't want to learn.
Quote by groovy-elephant
Teach him only the main riffs. When its time to solo, he improvises. I'm in the same situation, my lead guitarist only does solos. But, if he can't learn how to play someone else's songs, he might have more ability to write his own material. After all, isn't that what a band is all about?

Well, yeah, he can write songs, but the way I see it, if he doesn't learn any covers, he doesn't have much of an influence from other bands. And knowing a few covers never hurts. But I'll tell him about the improvising thing.

Quote by awesomo41894

He's better at improvising than me and our rhythm guitarist, and he can play a lot faster than us too. I'm just now learning the pentatonic scale, and our rhythm guitarist can't improvise either.

I'll try to show him those songs since I already know both the guitar and bass parts.

Quote by Pg.inc_music
I will say this....why is he the lead guitarist if he can't learn songs? And if you can learn songs...why don't you practice and become the lead guitarist?

But as far as I know from my experience...there are no shortcuts...he just needs to buckle down and learn. He is probably lazy and doesn't want to learn.

As said above, he's a much better guitar player than our rhythm guitarist and myself, he's just not good at learning songs.

I'll try to get him to learn a song, but it might not be laziness, I dunno.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Jun 26, 2009,
I hate to answer questions with questions, but I MUST ask what quantifies him as a 'lead' guitarist if he can't learn a song?
Enter Sandman is repetitive song so that I'll be easy for him to learn.
Gear:
Ibanez RG3EX1
Squier Strat (Undergoing Black strat relic)
Line 6 Spider III
Sqiuer SP-10

PSN: Thrasher122
Quote by din_blix
I hate to answer questions with questions, but I MUST ask what quantifies him as a 'lead' guitarist if he can't learn a song?

Read above post. He's co-song writer with me, so he writes everything he plays.

Quote by Bullethead
Enter Sandman is repetitive song so that I'll be easy for him to learn.

I'll try and show it to him, and maybe learn the lead parts myself while I'm at it
For one, it's hard to know if you're playing it right without tabs. Show him how to read tabs or music.
Quote by MetalOblivion93
The Philosopher = Smart
The Philosopher = Win

Quote by sashki
Slayer wrote a negative song about you because you considered the possibility of them writing a positive song.

JOIN THE PS3 ALLIANCE GROUP
Quote by The Philosopher
For one, it's hard to know if you're playing it right without tabs. Show him how to read tabs or music.

Ok, I'll see if I can teach him tabs.
Quote by awesomo41894

I agree, and anything from the Kill 'em All album should be fairly easy. I can play most of the stuff from the Ride The Lightning album since the difficulty is not bad, but if you guys can't play classical stay away from Fight Fire With Fire or make a 2 person arrangement for it.
We Are 138!

lol

he can learn just fine, he just doesnt want to because its not beneficial like writing your own is.

all of them.
in all honesty playing faster doesn't make you deserving of lead guitarist positions
theres more to being a good player than that, and reading music/learning songs is something every instrumentalist should be able to do. I'll admit it myself i can play alot faster then the rhythm guitarist in my band but when it came to recording he's so much better than i am so playing fast isnt always a sign of brilliance. also lead guitarists should often be able to guess songs by ear cant exactly do that if you don't know how to learn a song when the music notes a presented in front of you
teach him to read tab will be a start, make sure he gets a metronome
To be honest I can't learn solos from tabs very well. I learn them by ear so maybe its just a preference thing.
Quote by bass-boy-garith
he can learn just fine, he just doesnt want to because its not beneficial like writing your own is.

all of them.

Did you just say learning other peoples stuff isn't beneficial?
Of course it is. As long as you don't literally copy other peoples work when you write your own stuff, having learnt things you like you begin to learn how others have approached writing before you. An inform approach is a good approach.
Last edited by rizo299 at Jun 27, 2009,