Page 1 of 5
JohnnyBlunders
279 IQ
Ok, I respect them and all, (mainly Jello) but does anyone else think that they kind of are overrated? My personal opinion is that they were not very good. I feel that East Bay Ray was a great guitarist (sellout) and Jello had an "entertaining" voice. Basically the musicianship was nice, the lyrics not to bad, but I feel they just got boring too quickly. Anyone else agree?
Quote by BrianApocalypse
AntiFlag are about as punk as Justin Lame's excuse for a mohawk.

i.e. really gay.
charliezard!
1,337 IQ
I like 'em despite the fact that I haven't properly listened to them since 9th grade or so. I remember not like Fresh Fruit much. Plastic Surgery Disasters had crazy energy though. I always preferred that one.
RockThe40oz
Sucker-Punched By Christ
1,233 IQ
I think we all just listened to them way too much at some point in our punk careers and now don't care about them too much.

I think they're a good band to have in your music library so you hear a song once in a while when you shuffle your entire collection.
TommyRamone!
251 IQ
I don't think they're overrated at all. Jello wrote the most amazing lyrics, and Ray is an awesome guitarist. Fresh Fruit and Plastic Surgery / In God We Trust are great albums, they have so much energy.
JohnnyBlunders
279 IQ
Quote by Adam_Harrison9
The Dead Kennedys are legends. End thread.

Ahem, that is not a VALID opinion. You dont just say they are good and that is it. I will admit they are all good, the music is good, but they get boring to quick. I know everyone goes through a DK stage, and then overdo it and never like them again, but still. They bore me.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

i.e. really gay.
Last edited by JohnnyBlunders at Jun 26, 2009,
Greenfinger182
Drunk Dancin'
2,682 IQ
Actually, I'm pretty sure that was an opinion...
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
Adam_Harrison9
Built To Last
2,428 IQ
Quote by JohnnyBlunders
Ahem, that is not a VALID opinion. You dont just say they are good and that is it. I will admit they are all good, the music is good, but they get boring to quick. I know everyone goes through a DK stage, and then overdo it and never like them again, but still. They bore me.

Eh? So they're not legends? What?
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .
2,511 IQ
They are good IMO. They have one of the best names ever though.
charliezard!
1,337 IQ
Quote by Adam_Harrison9
Eh? So they're not legends? What?

Nah. Too many bands were doing what they were doing at the time. And as far as hardcore punk bands, they weren't the best. You can't just call every decent band a legend.
Captain Insano
Bruins Fan
1,625 IQ
I don't think they are overrated, in the least. Jello is great performer and writes some of the most interesting and thoughtful lyrics. East Bay Ray is good guitarist and has a very unique sound.

I think any thoughts of them being overrated comes from there more recent activity. The band doing the god-awful tour without Jello, a few of there more popular tunes being introduced and overplayed by the Guitar-Hero crowd. In they're hayday they earned every ounce of respect they have.
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
Quote by charliezard!
Nah. Too many bands were doing what they were doing at the time. And as far as hardcore punk bands, they weren't the best. You can't just call every decent band a legend.

Are you being sarcastic or something? They were really different from their contemporaries. And I wouldn't really call them a hardcore band.

I think this is a pretty dumb thread. The topic is basically "I kind of like this band for which there are already quite a few threads, but I don't like them that much."
charliezard!
1,337 IQ
Quote by werty22
Are you being sarcastic or something? They were really different from their contemporaries. And I wouldn't really call them a hardcore band.

I think this is a pretty dumb thread. The topic is basically "I kind of like this band for which there are already quite a few threads, but I don't like them that much."

Yeah, I guess so. I probably shouldn't have said that. But I would definitely call them a hardcore band. They fit in pretty well. I did really like their second album, but after that, I couldn't really get into them. They kinda became a parody of themselves by the end though, if you ask me.
hardrock1315
Thought @ Work
3,512 IQ
In my opinion, they're okay. Nowhere near the best 80's hardcore band. They have some good songs and a bunch of ****ty ones, too.

Also, East Bay Ray is really not that good at guitar. At all. Even the solo on "Pull My Strings," which a lot of people point out as proof of his skill, is pretty ****. I find that D.H. Peligro and Klaus Flouride are much better at their instruments.
neidnarb11890
so bored with the USA
270 IQ
Stop lying to yourselves, guy. Dead Kennedys are the best '80s hardcore band. Check out East Bay Ray's licks on Plastic Surgery Disasters. You call that being not that good at guitar? That **** is pure genius!
kayaress one
Montreal Pur & Dur
201 IQ
I come back from bannation and I see my favorite band being insulted?

I WILL NOT HA...
nevermind. old meme is old.

But seriously, I love the Dead Kennedys. I can honestly say that Jello some of the strongest lyrics I've heard to date, and they offer so much variety, musically, compared to alot of '80's hardcore bands.
Noah!!
87 IQ
I absolutely love them... but like any band I went through my phase with them and right now I'm listening to other stuff, but I'll gladly go back and listen to them any day... I love Jello, he has amazing lyrics and he also has some of stellar work with the Melvins, Nomeansno and DOA
I am what I am, those motherf***ers don't give a damn- Anthony Kiedis (Suck My Kiss)
TV-Casualty
451 IQ
They are one of my favorite bands ever. Jello writes some killer lyrics and delivers them with passion, the band has overwhelming energy. On top of that they have a really unique sound, and east bay ray is a great guitarist. I love them.
axeslash
I got no learnin'
3,485 IQ
Quote by JohnnyBlunders
Let me demonstrate what just happened here so I can clearly illustrate to you the problems in this post.

Adam Harrison: Declaration of opinion, clearly hyperbolic and sarcastic in nature.
JohnnyBlunders: Declaration that Adam Harrison's opinion is invalid, due to JohnnyBlunders' inability to comprehend sarcasm or see other people's opinion as valid, possibly both. Restating of original opinion. Expanding of original opinion.

Not to mention your original post is just you saying you don't like the band but giving the concession that you like them a little bit so you don't sound like such a prick saying "I hate this band completely."

You know, you would sure learn an awful lot if you didn't take your narrow life experiences and opinions and extrapolate them to be the same for every single person. It would help even more if you wouldn't correct people for not sharing your opinion.

I love DK threads, since no one can ever just fucking dislike this band or let them be classified as hardcore. Just listen to them as a band and forget the circumstances of their existence and enjoy.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie
7,782 IQ
Probably the only band I've listened to for 10 years and never fallen out of favour with.
mastaofrocknrol
Banned
463 IQ
Great Lyrics, Great energy, Great Voice, Great Guitar, Great Bass, Great Drum, Great Albums, Great gigs= Great Band
Donovant22
587 IQ
The Dead Kennedys are amazing. Probably the best US punk band ever. California Uberalles all the way to Chicken**** Conformist they were great.

Too bad they hate each other so much they never and will never get back together.
Donovant22
587 IQ
Also, probably the only good band during the early 80s.
JohnnyBlunders
279 IQ
Quote by Donovant22
The Dead Kennedys are amazing. Probably the best US punk band ever. California Uberalles all the way to Chicken**** Conformist they were great.

Too bad they hate each other so much they never and will never get back together.

I will CHOOSE to not even acknowledge that one. Or, I will! California Uberalles? Really? No others songs pop out? Maybe Jock-o-Rama, or anything else on Fresh? And best US punk band? Have you heard late 70's punk, the BEST era for punk? (debatable) I will admit that they are talented, like i already have, But they never bore you? You never find yourself wanting something else, after listening to DK for a long time? I am sorry, after that phase, I really do not like them very much anymore.

Ahem, 80's? Minutemen, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, A Minor Threat, even SLF bridged into to the 80's (as did NEARLY all late 70's bands, because bands dont just disband at the end of a decade.)
Quote by BrianApocalypse

i.e. really gay.
Last edited by JohnnyBlunders at Jun 27, 2009,
mastaofrocknrol
Banned
463 IQ
^also add Anthrax Uk, Subhumans, Oi Polloi (not sure if they were 80`s but they kick bloody ass ), Zounds and plenty other great punk Bands
axeslash
I got no learnin'
3,485 IQ
The more JohnnyBlunders posts the more I hate him.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
^Did you guys continue that argument (from the Anti-Flag thread) through PMs or did one of you CHICKEN OUT?
Donovant22
587 IQ
Quote by JohnnyBlunders
I will CHOOSE to not even acknowledge that one. Or, I will! California Uberalles? Really? No others songs pop out? Maybe Jock-o-Rama, or anything else on Fresh? And best US punk band? Have you heard late 70's punk, the BEST era for punk? (debatable) I will admit that they are talented, like i already have, But they never bore you? You never find yourself wanting something else, after listening to DK for a long time? I am sorry, after that phase, I really do not like them very much anymore.

Ahem, 80's? Minutemen, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, A Minor Threat, even SLF bridged into to the 80's (as did NEARLY all late 70's bands, because bands dont just disband at the end of a decade.)

Okay, you missed the point of the songs I chose. California Uberalles was their first single and Chicken**** Conformist was the last good song on their last real album Bedtime for Democracy. Point being good from beginning to end. Duh.

They really don't get old for me. Of course I get bored if I listen to them for a long time but it's the same with EVERY band. There's not a single band I can just sit there and listen to and never, ever get bored. I was never a fan of Black Flag, Circle Jerks are okay, the others I'm not really familiar with. 80s was just an awful, awful decade for everything including music.
werty22
Banned
1,095 IQ
lol, I just noticed JohnnyBlunders called Minor Threat "A Minor Threat."
acid_eater
155 IQ
they're deadly just my opinion not at all underrated
charliezard!
1,337 IQ
Quote by Donovant22
80s was just an awful, awful decade for everything including music.

Quote by RockThe40oz
You clearly know nothing about early 80s punk rock.

mhm
axeslash
I got no learnin'
3,485 IQ
Quote by werty22
^Did you guys continue that argument (from the Anti-Flag thread) through PMs or did one of you CHICKEN OUT?
He told me he was 14 so I feel I was the victor.
JohnnyBlunders
279 IQ
Ha, cocky as usual? Victor? What do you win? Community College and a lack of respect from adults and 14 year olds alike. Nice!
Quote by BrianApocalypse

i.e. really gay.
MisspentYouth
My Sox Are White
138 IQ
Quote by JohnnyBlunders
Ha, cocky as usual? Victor? What do you win? Community College and a lack of respect from adults and 14 year olds alike. Nice!

Not everyone who goes to a community college is an idiot, for your information. Many do it so they can transfer to a really good school later or they simply can't afford anything else. I go to a community college to finish high school. So, try not to stereotype an entire education class.

So this is not spam: I like the Dead Kennedys.
If only summer rain would fall, on the houses and the boulevards
And the sidewalk bagatelles, it's like a dream
With the roar of cars and the lulling of the cafe bars,
The sweetly sleeping sweeping of the Seine...
axeslash
I got no learnin'
3,485 IQ
Quote by JohnnyBlunders
Hahahaha, community college jokes.

You'll notice that there are two types of people who make these jokes: assholes who went to a University on their parents money, and people who have never been to college.

So please, continue to make fun of me. I'll feel so bad that a 14 year old is making fun of me for going to community college. You're obviously far more successful than me.
RockThe40oz
Sucker-Punched By Christ
1,233 IQ
Quote by JohnnyBlunders

Not everybody has financial support from their parents after high school, rich bitch
JohnnyBlunders
279 IQ
HA! Really? The smart people that manage to balance themselves in high school dont get scholarships? I mean if this kid is some sort of gift to us from heaven for his genius, then surely he can grace an ACTUAL college with his presence. I am sorry, misspentyouth, you are right, and that is fair. I shouldnt say community college is bad if you have higher aspirations, but when you talk about being some sort of Einstein in the making, and talk down to people about their intellectuality, I feel as if you could get some state support for at least a small college. And honestly, I am a rich bitch? I havent even graduated highschool, but believe me, I want to get out of my town so that is why i am going away to college, hopefully on a SCHOLARSHIP. And the irony is Axe, you somehow got yourself involved again, I dont seem to know why you said that everything i post makes you hate me more, but I kind of dont care? So again you started a fight, for no apparent reason.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

i.e. really gay.