+50 karma point for helping a noob.

I'm just beginning and REALLY want to start off on the right foot. Unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to take lessons formally nor the benefit of knowing a talented guitarist willing to sit down with me in the evenings. Therefore I'm looking for a DVD (plus books or whatever) type of instruction to learn. I'm older and can be very disciplined mentally and physically. I've been searching the internet for a solid DVD guitar method instruction recommendation but seem to come up with a lot of scam offers and faked reviews. Can anyone give me some real opinions?

Right now I'm looking at or have bought already:

Guitar Pro Software for Tabs (Ordered and Installed)
MVP Fretboard Physics for Guitar DVD - Volumes 1-6 Complete (May order this weekend)
Fretboard Logic Box Set Vol 1/2 SE Bk 3 DVD Bill Edward (Ordered but isn't here yet)

Learn and Master Guitar and website seems like a scam. They don't say really how long the lessons are or what is on the DVDs. Plus the review sites seem like they set them up.

I'm playing a Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded w/ Fender G-Dec 30. I love them so far but the G-Dec doesn't have the deep tone I would like later from a tube amp.
i have many " guitar lessons dvd's and online lesson and after spending a few 100's $ of that stuff ....i can say they are worth about the same as what my dog leave on my lawn...
May be i got the wrong ones...but who know..

My all time NO #1 is guitar pro.... it has helped me so much.... guitar and bass,
the draw back to guitar pro (for me anyway ) is that it made guitar playing a visual thing insted of a "ear thing" make sence..??
ty for the reply. i have been happy with Guitar Pro so far. The tabs and picking up a song quick has been VERY motivational. But.....i really want to pick up music/guitar theory also which i'm not sure guitar pro will provide. basically i want to understand cords/scales/keys enough to be able to jam with anyone/anytime. it's a long term goal for sure but it's the goal.

i have no issue spending money for quality lessons but just need to find what is worth it.

if i had a solid dvd lesson that i could watch/pause/practice/go back/watch again to pick up techniques and theories it would be great.
i used the Metal Method basic course. covers all the basics and stuff (including some music theory too). Of course theres still a ton more to learn afterwards. But if you're just starting out i think the this is the best bet at $60 for the whole package. You'll learn everything you need to know and not be too overwhelmed by it (and its not like you'll breeze through, its a got s solid 5-6 months worth of lessons if you follow the program like its meant to be. Stage 5 is actually very tough tbh. I've been playing for 10 months now, and can only do the final lead at 85% tempo).

edit: or if your just looking for theory, check out justinguitar.com and check out the scales and chords sections. he does a good job explaining everything. that sites free btw.
Last edited by wisdom_cube at Jun 26, 2009,
When you're just starting out, instructional DVDs are very important to teach you the basics and proper technique. I'd highly recommend Fender's beginner instructional DVDs.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.