Hey guys, I have finally gotten the hang of recording. I am still using a crummy mic but that is what it is. Well anyway I decided to try my hand at some improv over a couple of backing tracks! They are on my profile, named *improv with LP.
Clicky

Tell me what you think! and as always C4C.

UPDATE!!:

Hey guys! I have been mulling over the advice you have been giving me, and decided to make a new recording.It's another blues rock song, but I am trying to pull it out of the blues boxes. I have also tried to incorporate some things I have not used to much. ( I even threw a little tapping in there at the end ) The song is "Kitten Jugglery" on my profile.
Of course... C4C
Last edited by whitenihilist at Jul 4, 2009,
Meh, a random-orange-haired-guy like me don't really got a clue to what you could do...

Maybe it's time to ask your band what they could do for you?
Incarnation of awesomeness on earth.
Quote by ROHG
Meh, a random-orange-haired-guy like me don't really got a clue to what you could do...

Maybe it's time to ask your band what they could do for you?

WAT?
Last edited by whitenihilist at Jun 26, 2009,
Soloing reminded me of SRV/Thin Lizzy. If thats improvising you're very good at it. Bends and bursts of speed playing were tight.

Only thing Id could recommend is taking larger breaks between soloing. I did hear some feedback the first time you stopped playing. Which made me wonder if youre playing constantly to avoid killer feedback.

Cheers for the crit btw.
Quote by Preid
Soloing reminded me of SRV/Thin Lizzy. If thats improvising you're very good at it. Bends and bursts of speed playing were tight.

Only thing Id could recommend is taking larger breaks between soloing. I did hear some feedback the first time you stopped playing. Which made me wonder if youre playing constantly to avoid killer feedback.

Cheers for the crit btw.

Yea, I was improvising. It is something I have been striving to perfect.
also, right now my preamp tubes are dying so the microphonics are through the roof, and I was sitting kind of close to the amp when I recorded that just because I could not find the extension cord for my pedals AC adapter. Thanks for the crit also.
Last edited by whitenihilist at Jun 27, 2009,
nice solo mate. a lil bit of string noise here and there, but considering on your profile it said you started playing in '07 i'd say you damn good for the time you've been playing.

rock on and cheers for the crit
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
VERY nice...

I've been trying some blues improv myself but you've got it down pat.
Very nice tone, really cool soloing.

And about the feedback, you should have let it happen.
Everyone like some feedback making the track more interesting.

All in all, an excellent performance.
That's some all right blues, man.
But broaden your spectrum, it's very in the box blues stuff.

I'm in the same area so to speak, but i keep trying to break out so i can hit that delta, texas, and all sorts of ****.
Marijuana is the spice of life.

I Force Choke my penis when I masturbate.

8)-~
Wow, very, very smooth. I don't really have anything bad to say about it, it has about everything you'd be looking for. Phrasing, tone, technique, good stuff. Sound quality isn't bad either.
nice improv man, it sounds really good. the only things i could possibly comment on is maybe leave a little more space between riffs, and if you could add a little more texture to your playing, I don't know how to explain it, but to bring your improvising over the top you should try playing around with your pick attack and texture, jimmy page did a lot of that. Also shorten it up, so it doesnt tend to repeat riffs. other than that great job, sick playing man

c4c? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1151119
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
Awesome rock solo man. With only two years under your belt I am VERY impressed! There was a bit of feedback which im sure you are aware of so other than that keep rockin dude.

c4c?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1155905
"Through every dark night there is a bright day after that so no matter how hard it gets, stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it."
I much preferred the blues solo, much more feeling. Felt like you were pouring your soul into the blues solo wayyy more than the rock solo. It may be a tad sloppy but the fact you can hear that you MEAN what you're playing more than makes up for it.
Your guitar tone in the rock clip is excellent though, aside from the bad micing and bad mic. There's a nice character to the tone that I can pick out with zero problems.
Quote by Dream Pin
I much preferred the blues solo, much more feeling. Felt like you were pouring your soul into the blues solo wayyy more than the rock solo. It may be a tad sloppy but the fact you can hear that you MEAN what you're playing more than makes up for it.
Your guitar tone in the rock clip is excellent though, aside from the bad micing and bad mic. There's a nice character to the tone that I can pick out with zero problems.

Thanks, I have today off, so I am thinking about doing another blues song. I have new strings on my guitar so it should really sing. I wish I had a better mic, and I don't even have a mic stand, I just put the mic on a Styrofoam cooler and set it next to my amp.
Quote by whitenihilist
Thanks, I have today off, so I am thinking about doing another blues song. I have new strings on my guitar so it should really sing. I wish I had a better mic, and I don't even have a mic stand, I just put the mic on a Styrofoam cooler and set it next to my amp.

make some doom drone
Hey man. Checking out "kitten". The tone is nice. You're pretty good dude! I love the phrasing. Sounds like some ionian mode in there! (or phrygian, or both :P). Haha, the backing track is like weather channel music, but its fun!

Great job man. Keep it up. There's some really nifty quick parts in here, its good stuff. There's not really a whole lot to crit with an improve about the song itself, since theres no real structure. But the playing is solid. A couple weird bits, but it happens =]

Keep this up, write some real/traditional songs. and come on over. I'll record it/mix it/master it for you!
i listened to rock improv on the les paul and i noticed we have a similar taste in music. the improv was really nice. only thing that i noticed was that when you solo, your notes are almost all evenly spaced out. i really liked what you were doing towards the end. sounded quite nice. did you record the backing yourself or did you get it off the internet?

also listened to kitten jugglery and again i really liked it. something i noticed about this one was that some of the notes at the end of each statement didn't sound very good with the backing. knowing which note to hit is something that only an experienced guru of a guitarist is able to master so just keep on jammin.

again, i really loved listening to them.