I know this might be a stupud question, but I have no knowledge of wah.

I just bought a standard crybaby and I have a question. When you put your heel down, is it supposed to mute the sound and make it sound like its underwater? Because when I'm using the pedal, everytime I put my heel down, I can barely hear the guitar anymore. I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen because I honestly can't see what the purpose for that is.

Thanks for any help!
Chinese Democracy is a great album, people need to get over Slash.

Proud fan of Pop, Rap, Rock, and Metal.
yeah its supposed to sound that way but if you feel its too strong you can place it after your distortion instead of before for a less pronounced wah if you know what i mean
from a technical standpoint, what's happening when you sweep the rocker is that your EQ is changing. toe down = mid push and often added highs, heel down is going to pull out most of your highs and mids with a slight bass increase. different models will adjust the EQ differently, ofcourse. there are also models that make adjustments almost purely to the mids, going from a cutting toe down position to a scooped heel down position.

hope that helps. to answer your question for face value, yes, you will have less precieved volume, but it's not really a "muting" effect... see above. also, your amp settings can make a huge difference to the precieved strengths of your wah (ie., if your amp is bassy, and you go heel down, you're likely to make a muddy tone that will easily lose definition and its place in the mix).
why would u place ur heel all the way to the bottom and leave it there? keep it moving bro!
knocksvil wrote:

Ted Jensen said "I'm not proud to be associated with this one.".. nice one Ted.. now go and jump in the fire
because it's his music and he can play whatever he wants? that doesn't help answer his question, and several great guitarists employ a wah in a strict heel-down role from time to time... zakk wylde anyone?
ok thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't broken or anything.

Quote by XxXLuisanXxX
why would u place ur heel all the way to the bottom and leave it there? keep it moving bro!

I do keep it moving. It's just that if I'm lifting my heel up and down in the middle of a solo or something, if I accidentally lift the pedal too high, I can barely hear the guitar anymore.But thanks guys, I'll try and keep my heel moving more.
Chinese Democracy is a great album, people need to get over Slash.

Proud fan of Pop, Rap, Rock, and Metal.