okay, so atm im looking at getting a new guitar. one of my options is to get a guitar and then swap out the pickups for EMG's. if i were to do this, is it important that the guitar i choose to have a pickup swap on already has active pickups installed?

im thinking of getting the RGA42FM which has some active stock pickups and then swapping them out for EMG's. will this pickup change be simple?

and one more thing. is it a bad idea to mix the pickups? will it be bad to keep the stock pickup in the neck position and then only swap the bridge pickup for an EMG 81? or is mixing pickups like that fine?

so here is the plan, tell me if it will work or not. buy the RGA42FM. then swap the bridge pickup for and EMG 81 without having to do any extensive modifications on my guitar. i just want to be able to take the stock one out, and then solder the EMG in and just screw it back up. and if needed i will replace the neck pup with and 85.

one more thing. does anyone know what kind if neck joint the REGA42FM has?
you will most likely have to switch all the pots to the ones that come with the EMGs. if not, you may damage the pickups. if you can solder and use the right diagram, it shouldn't be too hard.

i would just get both the 81 and 85 (or 60) if you have the money. if not, i'm not sure if the mix is bad or not.

have you looked at any of the guitars that come stock with EMGs? the Jackson DKMG is good.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
If you get EMG's you WILL have to change the pots
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
okay thanks. yes, im still looking at other guitars and jackson are an option. also, i wont be installing the pickups, i will get it done professionally. i think the DKMG is a bolt on and i would prefer not have a bolt on. does anyone know if the RGA42FM is bolt on?

will i really notice a difference in sound and sustain with a bolt on and a set neck or something else?

if i have to i guess i can replace both of the pickups on the RGA42FM.
Last edited by wildozer at Jun 26, 2009,
It would be alot cheaper to install them yourself.
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
You'd probably have more issues mixing passive & active if the guitar only has one each tone & volume knob since EMGs need 25k pots. If you use 25k pots on a passive pickup, it's likely to sound very muddy. Normally SCs use 250k pots and HBs use 500k pots, but sometimes they use 500k pots with SCs for a brighter tone (e.g., Squier Affinity).

As for solid neck vs bolt-on, I don't see much difference in sustain between my Xiphos (neck-through) and my Avenger (bolt-on), but both have FR style trems, and that can eat sustain. Both seem to sustain more than my Strats, but that could be a function of the high output pups (D-Activators & Destroyers) compared to standard SC in the Strats. Also, the Strats have trems, too.

The best reason for a solid neck is fret access, but it has disadvantages, too.
Check out Seymore Duncan's videos on pup installation. It's even easier with EMGs because you don't even need to know how to solder with those.
if you can afford it, then i would recommend a DBZ guitar.

http://www.dbzguitars.com/web/collection.html

http://www.dbzguitars.com/thedarkside/collection.php (my favorite selection)
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
okay, ill check out those other guitars.

anyway, say i do go ahead with this ibanez and change the pups for and EMG 81/85 or 81/60 set, what will i need to buy for it? can it even be done on the RGA42FM guitar seeing as it only has one knob on it, a master volume?
Quote by wildozer

anyway, say i do go ahead with this ibanez and change the pups for and EMG 81/85 or 81/60 set, what will i need to buy for it? can it even be done on the RGA42FM guitar seeing as it only has one knob on it, a master volume?

each pickup will come with a quick connect cable, input jack, a battery clip, a tone pot, and a volume pot. so you will have two of everything.

it should give you a diagram for your configuration, but if not you can probably have someone drill a few holes and make it a 1 volume/1 tone or 2 volume/ 2 tone. my dad was able to drill two more holes for a second tone and volume in my Jackson.

i also suggest doing the 18V mod when you install them. it makes a small, but noticeable difference. here is a thread that will help you:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=941907&page=1&pp=20&highlight=EMG+18V+mod

good luck.
--Einstein

--Einstein
Quote by Little_Buster
If you get EMG's you WILL have to change the pots
Not a must.

You do not NEED a 25k pot for EMGs.

Lower resistance pots help lower hum and noise, but aren't absolutely necessary in a single-volume control wiring scheme.

In a 2-volume wiring scheme, like a LP, high resistance pots will be too "abrubt" when the volume control is reduced from maximum.

If you mix a passive and active in a single-volume wiring scheme, use the correct resistance for the passive.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by wildozer

yes you can just have a single volume knob and 3 way switch though i'm not sure about that active eq bit.
that esp ltd is badass. but what about the zack wylde epiphone with emg's?
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
okay, thanks. ill ask the guy who owns the shop where i learn guitar a bit more about it. because, im lost right now :P. i get **** all in this thread now so ill get him to clear it up for me and ill ask him how much it would cost to get everything done.

also, the ESP LTD EC-401 and stuff like that cost $1900+ in Australia so i tihnk i will get a schecter hellraiser c1 which is only $1600 and imo, better.
Quote by fullsailstudent
that esp ltd is badass. but what about the zack wylde epiphone with emg's?

"Maybe you've lusted after Gibson's Zakk Wylde signature model but lacked the cash to buy one. Well, here's the Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom Electric Guitar, a more affordable alternative. It's equipped with a pair of sizzling USA EMG-HZ/H4 pickups..."
-MF.com

Still would need to upgrade to get actives: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMG-EMGZW-Zakk-Wylde-8185-Humbucker-Set?sku=301511#new

Still lots cheaper than the Gibson, though!