Hey guys.. so i been looking a getting a new guitar for a while now.. and i kinda settled on an American Fat Strat.. but i recently found a music store that could do a Gibson SG for a similar price.. i play rock,punk, alternative.. bands like all time low, the academy is, amber pacific, then the classics like ACDC, metallica etc.. so which guitar would suit my playing style more?

Thanks
Quote by srq89
yeah easily, I took on one of my uncles who's suppose to be the strongest in the family and has the hottest wife. Tamed him like my bitch and then wacked off afterward thinking about his wife.

All in all, a very productive day.
The SG

partly because I think it's an all around better guitar, and partly because I am prejudice against non-tele fenders
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
btw its a Gibson SG Standard.
Quote by srq89
yeah easily, I took on one of my uncles who's suppose to be the strongest in the family and has the hottest wife. Tamed him like my bitch and then wacked off afterward thinking about his wife.

I would choose the SG myself. However, it all depends on how you like it when compared to the other guitar you are looking at. I would try them both out and see which one you like the most.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
The SG would work better for all of your styles of music other than punk, which it'd be equal to the Fender.

Plus, a hardtail is less annoying than a trem, even though a vintage trem isn't that annoying. Plus, when you have a trem, you may be tempted to use it. And the Fender vintage one will subsequently go out of tune.
idk, i'm not huge on gibsons, but teh sg is a solid performer. plus the double cutaway provides for some nice access to the upper frets. the strat is one of the industry standards, however, so you really can't go wrong either way. And as for someone saying a particular style and stuff suits a particular genre better, i call BS. I had no problem playing everything i played on my tele and it sounded fine, if not unique. why the hell would i want to mimic the exact tones of OTHER artists? i'm my own, individual person and i think it to be a blasphemy to deny myself of my own, individual tones. blah blah rant rant etc.

anyways, just pick whatever feels best and feels like better quality workmanship and whatever sounds best. just go with your gut but YOU HAVE TO PLAY THEM BEFORE YOU DECIDE. most important step ever
Gear:

Epiphone Thunderbird
Custom P Bass (in the works)
Fender Rumble 100
yer im going to go and play a couple in a few days.. a question i wanted to ask was are the pickups that come in the SG decent.. or would it be worth looking into new ones?
Quote by srq89

i'd go sg. god i love the sg standard. especially if you're getting it for close to a fat strat (i'm guessing around $600-$800 then)
well im in aus.. n i can get the fat strat for 1800 n sg for 2000.. they overcharge so much in aus (although this is just the prices on the website ill try n get some more off if i can instore.)
Quote by srq89

i'd go for the strat, then again i am a no good dirty fan boy of it
My Fun Guitars
Fender Strat
Ibanez Rg-320

My Junk Guitars
Hondo II acoustic
Yamaha F-310
Jay Turser Les paul knock off of doom
Quote by shan0_
well im in aus.. n i can get the fat strat for 1800 n sg for 2000.. they overcharge so much in aus (although this is just the prices on the website ill try n get some more off if i can instore.)

MIM fender fat strat is only $1000 so you can have enough change for bareknuckle pickups if your amp is good enough.
You cant ask us what YOU like the most. Both the american standard fat strat as the SG are good guitars, just play them both and see what guitar you are the most comfortable with.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I would go for the SG.The strat could get you to the punk tones your after,but if you feel the need to go heavier,it can provide.I find the neck p-up on my Epi Iommi G-400 hass a beautiful clean sound,but that could be more to do with the pick-ups.
I don't really have a great deal of experience with the pick-ups in an SG standard but I've heard alot of people swapping them out for something else.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.