As seen in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijERWZHvsxI

What does he use? And does it affect the sound even a tiny bit (we're talking audibly by human ears, of course)? I want to do a few practice designs and then maybe draw out something nice on my 12-string Sigma - not to copy him, just because I think it's a great idea as long as it doesn't affect the sound.

Also, do you think there's some way to harmlessly wipe away any mistakes (even though I don't plan on making any)?
i can't think of any reason why it would have any effect on the sound.

i've never done it but i'm sure you could use any pen or permanent marker. it would probably be best to use a felt tip style pen though and not a ball point. you don't want to make indentions in the wood when you are drawing. if your guitar has a cedar top you definitely don't want to use a ball point or roller ball type pen. i would stick with things like sharpies and felt tip calligraphy pens.

as for wiping away mistakes, i'd can't really think of any way for that to work out. if you botched it terribly bad you could always sand the top of the guitar to take the ink off, though this will also take away the finish and some of the wood and will change the sound of your guitar. sanding your guitar is something i wouldn't recommend unless you have experience with woodworking.
probably a wise decision

it's always a tough call to do something so permanent like that.
Just stencil if you're not confident. Either way, it'll look cool if done nicely.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
I don't know if this applies to guitars, but I wrote on my teachers white board with sharpie by accident before and when me and my friends were scrambling to find a way to get it off we googled it and found out that toothpaste will take it off. It actually ended up making the board cleaner than it was before. I tested it to see if it would work on my walls too and it doesn't take it away completely but it fades it so that it's hard to see.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other bastard die for his" -General George S. Patton
Quote by justnmcknz
I don't know if this applies to guitars, but I wrote on my teachers white board with sharpie by accident before and when me and my friends were scrambling to find a way to get it off we googled it and found out that toothpaste will take it off. It actually ended up making the board cleaner than it was before. I tested it to see if it would work on my walls too and it doesn't take it away completely but it fades it so that it's hard to see.

I think something as thick as toothpaste would definitely deaden the sound.
I can write on my Explorers pickguard with Expo markers. And the toothpaste wouldn't be permanent, just used to remove the sharpie. As long as it's finished, whiteboard markers should work fine. I'd text is on the guitar, first. And it wipes away easy.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Quote by Jango22
I can write on my Explorers pickguard with Expo markers. And the toothpaste wouldn't be permanent, just used to remove the sharpie. As long as it's finished, whiteboard markers should work fine. I'd text is on the guitar, first. And it wipes away easy.

...wut?
you could always print whatever cool design you made/found/like on a transparent sheet, cut it out, and bond it to the soundboard (bond only the edges if you like keepin it neat). that would be like the aftermarket vinyls they have on cars, and it wouldn't damage (relatively speaking) the finish either.

(*thinking* now how do i spice up my cedar top?...)
*takes Ervin Somogyi route and carves out intricate designs in rebugger's cedar top*
not bad (ervin, i mean). around the block from where i live, there's craftsmen & woodworkers who'll take one look at whatever printout/design you give them, carve, paint, age & polish it on your guitar (or whatever piece of wood/cardboard/paper/cloth you hand them) and swear on their mother's grave grave that it'll last forever, all for around $12 (total). *sigh* where is capitalism going when people can't capitalize on their own talents?
Quote by rebugger75
not bad (ervin, i mean). around the block from where i live, there's craftsmen & woodworkers who'll take one look at whatever printout/design you give them, carve, paint, age & polish it on your guitar (or whatever piece of wood/cardboard/paper/cloth you hand them) and swear on their mother's grave grave that it'll last forever, all for around $12 (total). *sigh* where is capitalism going when people can't capitalize on their own talents?

Ervin is world renowned for how amazing his guitars are.
yep, his pricing and waitlist testifies to that (read that after posting, my bad. got carried away into the gallery...) no match for the quality, but as for the patterns, well, i might post a few when i come across em *makes mental note*

this may just be me, but do a lot of people carve up their acoustics?