i was just wondering if you thought that i had any effects i could ever really need and how good of quality you think they are/will be

i have a peavey XXX running into an avatar traditional 4X12 with 2 vintage 30's and 2 g12h30's

in the effects loop i'm just gonna run my pod xt live for my modulation, and delay effects, plus it has an eq compressor and noise gate that will cancel any noise from the pedals

the only other effects i would use for in front of the amp would be the vox joe satriani big bad wah (looks pretty sweet, anyone have any comments?) and maybe an isp decimator if i need to cut down on even more noise

sound like a good plan?
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey XXX-->Avatar 4X12(2 V30's 2 G12H30's)

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
It sounds like an OK plan.

I used an XT Live for my first separate effects chain when I had the Valveking and it helped me realize which effects I needed, and which I didn't.

Eventually you are going to want to replace it with proper pedals, though.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
it would be better if you just sell the MFX, use the XXX's distortion instead of the XT's modulation and buy pedals but that's just me
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
DO you actually have the XXX? It isn't in your little gear list there. If you don;t I would recommend not buying it...because they suck..a lot. I used to own one, and I sold it on about 3 months after buying it.

- They have no power..very quiet even though its supposedly 100w. ****ty when rehearsing and gigging.
- The clean channel is shocking.
- While it does have a lot of gain...its not a good sounding channel either.

Since you have an xt live you probably have more effects than you will actually ever use anyway..unless you really like effects, in which case you will know what you don;t have and want.

I wouldn't waste money on a second noise reducer either unless you are having problems with the buzz...you will know if you play it loud at shows etc if you need it.

Cheers.
This is a lie...no reason why...right from the outset
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
it would be better if you just sell the MFX, use the XXX's distortion instead of the XT's modulation and buy pedals but that's just me

The problem is that if he doesn't already know what effects he wants before he buys pedals, it can get very expensive buying crappy ones and ditching them later.

My Fulltone Clyde alone was nearly $380.

Quote by Bigdave9576
- They have no power..very quiet even though its supposedly 100w. ****ty when rehearsing and gigging.

It's actually 120W RMS. Did you ever bother figuring out the active EQ? it's a lot different than passive ones.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Jun 26, 2009,
ha well ok 120W...theres no need to be picky..as it still has no headroom.

Uh and yes of course I worked with the EQ. its a terrible amp. Read some reviews on it (granted I should have but I got it when they first came out)

I traded it for a mesa 50/50 power amp..which packs an enormous amount more headroom and a cleaner, tighter sound.
Last edited by Bigdave9576 at Jun 26, 2009,
Quote by Bigdave9576
DO you actually have the XXX? It isn't in your little gear list there. If you don;t I would recommend not buying it...because they suck..a lot. I used to own one, and I sold it on about 3 months after buying it.

- The clean channel is shocking.
- While it does have a lot of gain...its not a good sounding channel either.

Since you have an xt live you probably have more effects than you will actually ever use anyway..unless you really like effects, in which case you will know what you don;t have and want.

I wouldn't waste money on a second noise reducer either unless you are having problems with the buzz...you will know if you play it loud at shows etc if you need it.

Cheers.

you probably got a lemon or one with a bad tube or something is broken.
my Uncles XXX was fine when he used it for gigs and the clean channel is better than any Peavey cleans.

EDIT:
and +1 to Bubb
feel free to add me
Its true I could have been unlucky..the tubes were all fine...but I guess it coulda been bust. I used to have to crank it to max power just to be on par with a reasonably loud drummer. Its like a shoddy dual rec copy...

Still, you live and learn.
well no.... i'm using the amp for tone, just the effects on the xt live like uni vibe, phaser, delay, chorus, reverb, all that good stuff, i love the tone of the XXX, i would sell the xt live before using that as the basis of my tone over the XXX,

i'm just trying to make sure EXACTLY what effects i woud want or need,

like for delay, if/when i upgrade, i was thinking the boss giga delay, from what i hear it's beasty
no tube screamer or od, pointless in my opinion with an amp like that
isp decimator for noise gate, compressor not really needed...just kills dynamics
but not really sure for chorus, or phaser, also debating on whether i would actually need a flanger, but from my wisps of ideas, am i on the right track for at least decentness?

BTW: al, if you really are as young as your profile says, you know much more about guitar tech than i probably will for quite a long time.... my hat's off to you
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
thanks for making an old dude feel like his advice is actually taken into consideration
Quote by Bigdave9576
Its true I could have been unlucky..the tubes were all fine...but I guess it coulda been bust. I used to have to crank it to max power just to be on par with a reasonably loud drummer. Its like a shoddy dual rec copy...

its not nowhere close as a Dual Rec tho.
and yes i am 14 years old
feel free to add me
Quote by Bigdave9576
ha well ok 120W...theres no need to be picky

There's ALWAYS a need to be picky.

Quote by Bigdave9576

It's also about half the price of a Mesa and made with top-mounted PCB.

Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Jun 26, 2009,
haha yeah you are probably right. Reading your gear list you didn't buy one did you? haha..nice choices my man.

High five.

Yeah it is much cheape..and it looks cool...which is why I went for it back then (plus it was all about gain and I was in a metal band)...

But then whats the point in going for that sorta market with a cheaper amp...then totally failing with the sound. Its about the same price as a JCM 2000...and I know which one is the better choice :0)
Last edited by Bigdave9576 at Jun 26, 2009,
oh, and as far as if i actually have the amp and cab, amp's here and i tried it through a friend's cab to make sure i worked, bought it used, and the cab should be here tuesday, the suspense is killing me! but at least i'm sleeping alot, pain killers from surgery will do that, so time passes quite quickly
Ibanez RG5EX1
Ibanez RG7321

BARE KNUCKLE PUPS RULE!
Quote by gumbilicious
Quote by Bigdave9576
haha yeah you are probably right. Reading your gear list you didn't buy one did you? haha..nice choices my man.

High five.

Yeah it is much cheape..and it looks cool...which is why I went for it back then (plus it was all about gain and I was in a metal band)...

But then whats the point in going for that sorta market with a cheaper amp...then totally failing with the sound. Its about the same price as a JCM 2000...and I know which one is the better choice :0)

The DSLs are really good, especially since their used value is way down. I think they just get a bad reputation because of the Marshall MG and because of the posistor distortion problem they had on release.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The DSLs are really good, especially since their used value is way down. I think they just get a bad reputation because of the Marshall MG and because of the posistor distortion problem they had on release.

I have to agree.
i tried a DSL and it was fairly good but i didn't like the TSL
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
I have to agree.
i tried a DSL and it was fairly good but i didn't like the TSL

crank the crunch channel...thats where it at. i find the lead channel fizzy, but the crunch channel with gain at 9 gives a very clear distortion tone. i hated mine on and off for a long time, but ive really taken the time to set it up and i love it now. keep the presence low, mids and treble high. and have some nice pups (PG and 59)
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey