so what are some songs that would be cool to play without any guitarists, I'm looking for somethin along the lines of black sabbath and iron maiden. So far I've come up with NIB and War Pigs. I plan on writing some fills and stuff for guitar solos and such
Quote by kurtebirdi
so what are some songs that would be cool to play without any guitarists, I'm looking for somethin along the lines of black sabbath and iron maiden. So far I've come up with NIB and War Pigs. I plan on writing some fills and stuff for guitar solos and such

DFA 1979.

Every song.

Thank me later.
Quote by rockonth
Why don't they just send 4chan to Iraq if they're so good at these so called "raids"?

Quote by entity0009
I once got hit by a flying wig. Either it was a wig or someone was headbanging far too hard.
^ what he said. and alot of primus songs. not saying the guitar isnt important. its just the bass is the front and usually isnt recognized by just the guitar line.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
Sunshine could pull it if you're down for a little chordage.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
YYZ - Rush, do the solo on bass and it's awesome, did this with my drumer live, so awesome, Anesthesia by metallica really doesn't have any guitar
Last edited by Schme at Jun 27, 2009,
Bassinvaders, it's all bass and drums
i believer Lightning Bolt is also bass and drums, but just one bass as opposed to bassinvaders 2 or 3 lol
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Quote by kurtebirdi

I think countdown to extinction by megadeath has an easy yet cool sounding riff
Godzilla by Blue oyster cult might work well, maybe with an octave pedal and some form of distortion.
I would say get a pianist, but that kinda defeats the purpose, in a way.

If you do originals, use a lot of thickening effects if you can. Also, learn to tap contrapuntally. And don't be afraid of chords and double stops.

For covers, as already said, DFA1979 and Primus are good to look into. I'd look into Lightning bolt for influence, but they seem pretty impractical to cover. In my opinion, of course.

And the guitar doesn't seem very necessary for alot of Sabbath, I find.
The Elephant Riders by Clutch. With the exception of a short solo, this song doesn't really suffer if you take the guitar out.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Wraithchild by iron maiden and electric funeral/into the void/sweet leaf by sabbath are pretty good songs
wow.. so many good suggestions..

I really like the idea of godzilla, and into the void actually crept into my mind right after i made this thread. I'm about to check out all the other bands listed
Last edited by kurtebirdi at Jun 27, 2009,
OH COME ON WTF PEOPLE!?!??! What about Big Bottom by Spinal Tap? And, ya, like people said, a lot of Sabbath songs would work without guitar. Actually, that applies to most doom and stoner metal in general. Godzilla would be great too, especially with an 8 or 12 string bass. Or you could use n octave pedal. and if you used a pedal, you could run the root clean and have a second distorted channel for the octave. Actually, that could work for anything.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Last edited by kugelspot at Jun 27, 2009,
what would be some other doom/stoner metal? I've always wanted to look some up but i only really know of black sabbath and how they started up the whole satanic thing on a big scale, never heard of any other bands considered in that genre
DFA1979

there's this one band called Dianogah, they're two bassists and a drummer
(one plays a Rick and the other a P-Bass or something. I think the Rick is the one that does most of the more "lead" sounding lines and such)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by kurtebirdi
what would be some other doom/stoner metal? I've always wanted to look some up but i only really know of black sabbath and how they started up the whole satanic thing on a big scale, never heard of any other bands considered in that genre

OK
Doom:
Saint Vitus
Pentagram
Witchfinder General

Stoner:
Sleep
Bongzilla
Acid King

Drone:
Skullflower
Earth
Sunn O)))

Those are the first few that come to mind. It's not a genre I'm very familiar with either, TBH.
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Quote by kugelspot
OK
Doom:
Saint Vitus
Pentagram
Witchfinder General

Stoner:
Sleep
Bongzilla
Acid King

Drone:
Skullflower
Earth
Sunn O)))

Those are the first few that come to mind. It's not a genre I'm very familiar with either, TBH.

They're Stoner i think
Quote by -core
They're Stoner i think

Nah, they're Drone, just listen to their songs...
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
anything by:

DFA1979
morphine ("candy" and "buena" are my favorites)
#DTWD
Quote by kugelspot
OH COME ON WTF PEOPLE!?!??! What about Big Bottom by Spinal Tap? And, ya, like people said, a lot of Sabbath songs would work without guitar. Actually, that applies to most doom and stoner metal in general. Godzilla would be great too, especially with an 8 or 12 string bass. Or you could use n octave pedal. and if you used a pedal, you could run the root clean and have a second distorted channel for the octave. Actually, that could work for anything.

+1 to the Big Bottom
Quote by Zugunruhe
for some reason this post makes me suspect theres something horribly wrong with you.

not that thats a bad thing...

...dont kill me.
Quote by thegiaco2112
you miss Kyuss and Unida !

Like I said, not a genre I know very well. I've never even heard of Unida. I did miss Kyuss though. Should have put that
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
oh ya, another one! clatter
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Quote by Schme
YYZ - Rush, do the solo on bass and it's awesome, did this with my drumer live, so awesome, Anesthesia by metallica really doesn't have any guitar

+1

Also wrathchild, iron maiden, you said you were lookin for some maiden. And I don't want to be the typical guitar hero fanatic, but number of the beast has some sick bass in it, actually all of their stuff does, so you know!
My Gear:

Epiphone Limited Edition '66 G-400 SG
Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy Analog Delay