ok, so now im seriously looking at small (<10W) tube amps. it is really down to 2 amps:

Epiphone Valve Jr.
OR...
Blackheart BH-5H

now, the little giant is definetly a better amp for my puposes (hard rock, metal). BUT im tight on money (ok im broke), and i can get a valve jr. halfstack (head and cab) for ~$150. so, seeing as im probably gonna end up with a valve jr:

i was wondering what pedals would be good for metal to put infront of a valve jr? i want it to keep its original tone but just with alot more gain. i know they sound great cranked but its still not enough for what i like to play. i mean, i play alot of light rock and AC/DC but i still play more metallica. so what pedals would work for me?

thanks in advance!
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
The Fulltone OCD I just bought seems to have PLENTY of gain on tap.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I use a Korg Toneworks Multi-Effects with my VJ to get some great metal - The Rectifier presets sound great with it - also a Big Muff helps too.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Okay i was going to get the Valve Junior too, but i did a little research and the Little Giant has a $30 mail in rebate, and and and and guitar center is having a 4th of july sale and you can get 15% off the amp. So you could get it for $268.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
If you're wanting to play metal with a Valve Jr or similar amp, you're going to need a full on distortion.

Considering you're broke I'd say look into a DigiTech Hardwire TL-2.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Wampler SuperPlextortion works great with my Valve Junior. Especially if i'm using a Hi-Watt or SLO 100 amp model.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by f22master
ok, so now im seriously looking at small (<10W) tube amps. it is really down to 2 amps:

Epiphone Valve Jr.
OR...
Blackheart BH-5H

now, the little giant is definetly a better amp for my puposes (hard rock, metal). BUT im tight on money (ok im broke), and i can get a valve jr. halfstack (head and cab) for ~$150. so, seeing as im probably gonna end up with a valve jr:

i was wondering what pedals would be good for metal to put infront of a valve jr? i want it to keep its original tone but just with alot more gain. i know they sound great cranked but its still not enough for what i like to play. i mean, i play alot of light rock and AC/DC but i still play more metallica. so what pedals would work for me?

thanks in advance!

Save up more for a Blackstar HT-5, it can do what you need without the aid of more pedals. Sure it costs more but no matter what you get, your going to have to spend more money on pedals to get those tones as they wont come stock, unlike on the Blackstar
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
yeah, im sure the blackstar would be amazing. but im having a hard time trying to convince my dad to get me a $150 amp. i reeaaaaaaaallllllyyyy dont think hes gonna go for a $300 head...and then a cab.....

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Save up a bit more.. get a summer job? It's really worth getting.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
ive been looking for a summer job. bu the only thing i keep finding is like grocery store ****. hell, i rather work out on a farm for 10 hours a day than at publix for 9. im looking for a moree labour intensive job. somthing that will actually make me feel accomplished. instead of just gatherin shoping carts all day...

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
any other good pedals?

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer. It doesn't have as much gain on tap as the OCD, but its really warm and sings when paired with a tube amp.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
i thought i heard somewhere that the TS-9 was for SS amps

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by f22master
i thought i heard somewhere that the TS-9 was for SS amps

A TS9 is made to sound like an overdriven amp. It's not made for any specific amp for use...

But people use them to boost their already overdriven amps for further distortion, volume and tube breakup. I wouldn't recommend one with a Valve Junior or Little Giant to play metal unless you're playing heavy blues.

Seriously, you're going to need a distortion if you want to play any sort of metal on the amps above.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
A TS9 is made to sound like an overdriven amp. It's not made for any specific amp for use...

But people use them to boost their already overdriven amps for further distortion, volume and tube breakup. I wouldn't recommend one with a Valve Junior or Little Giant to play metal unless you're playing heavy blues.

Seriously, you're going to need a distortion if you want to play any sort of metal on the amps above.

Agreed with.

Honestly, even though it's expensive, I'd highly recommend the OCD as a dirtbox unless you're planning on sounding like SRV through the TS.

Check my profile for the clip of the OCD driving my JCM EQed clean. I think it's Jenny + Crunch or something like that.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Even with a Fulltone OCD you won't get modern metal out of either of those amps.

Digitech Hardwire TL-2.
ok, so the TS-9 is out. but what about the TL-2 mentioned above? how does it sound?

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by Mitchell?
Even with a Fulltone OCD you won't get modern metal out of either of those amps.

Digitech Hardwire TL-2.

Ah, didn't realize he wanted that modern crap

wow! that TL-2 is a bit more gain then im looking for. i need something that can do both AC/DC and some of the heavier metallica (black album-ish) and everything inbetween. anything like that around?

sorry for being so picky but i want to be sure its what im looking for.

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
attenuator
^what? i thought that was used to lower the amps power which lowers volume. how will that get me metallica tones?

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by mmjohn
attenuator

Yeah. Right. Attenuate a VJ for more overdrive.

Good call.

you can crank the amp and use the amps distortion at lower volumes. so you get natural overdrive at Low volumes.........not a pedal. pick the right tubes and an attenuator you can get some killer tones at bedroom levels. add a couple pedals and make's me want another one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bui1-vDTlo
^now thats what im talkin bout!

how much for a set-up like that!?

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by mmjohn
you can crank the amp and use the amps distortion at lower volumes. so you get natural overdrive at Low volumes.........not a pedal. pick the right tubes and an attenuator you can get some killer tones at bedroom levels. add a couple pedals and make's me want another one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bui1-vDTlo

He'd still need the OCD for that. Like I said before, a VJ isn't going to do it on its own, attenuator or no.

well it did say in the vid description that he was using an OCD. and that sounded great! but for the price of all that i could get a blackstar...

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
what about a 'screamin blues' pedal? i played one the other day througha small fender SS and i really liked it. and it got pretty heavy for a blues pedal. so that+the amps own natural O/D...well what do you guys think about that pedal?

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
any comments on the screamin blues?

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B