Looking for a new acoustic guitar, I presently have a Norman B20 cw and am looking for something more....

I don't mind if it does'not have any binding or pearl inlay etc....
It needs to be piezo equipped (pluggable) to play live

I like dreadnaughts, grand auditorium, or Jumbo size, I play mainly chordings with a few leads

NO 000 size........not comfortable

what should I check?
I don't know too much for guitars in that price range...but I'd check out Martin, Taylor, Breedlove, High end Alvarez and Takamine, Maybe Gibson? I'd wait for someone like Cap to come along and post their thoughts....just one thing to be sure of when purchasing the guitar...

MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE IN LOVE WITH THE GUITAR YOU BUY. DON'T SETTLE FOR "GUD NUFF!" THIS IS A LARGE AMOUNT OF MONEY AND YOU WANT TO GET THE MOST YOU CAN. Really, try out every guitar in all your local shops, Take the one just speaks to you like "Hey...I have the tone of a *insert desired tone here*....you know you want me..." or whatever it may say to you.

Just an FYI, the chances of an acoustic guitar speaking english to you are slim to none, so it'll just be a feeling you get....but if a guitar actually starts talking to you like that, I would start to worry about that instrument/store.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
well the problem is............no store with high end guitars, so orgering from a catalogue is the only option, the nearest store is 12 hour drive away.....
i tried blue ridge once, found they had an old vintage sound, country blues style...

not what im after, i need a nice round bassy but clear sound, tone for acoustic :P
Lot of people say 100 models arent worth their price. I personally think you can find a better guitar for the price at that range, but i mean, if it sounds good and meets your needs, i think no one should alter your decisions.

i have a martin 000x1 with HPL back and sides, and many people were skeptical about it, "HPL is just piece of plastic with wood sticker on it", etc but something about the tone it produced made me want to buy it.
for the amount of money, you could go for any of the taylor 3xx series or higher.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
^
Taylor 300 series is deffinitely worth a look. The 314 is a great instrument and my ears think the Expression System is far superior to piezo pickup systems and their clickiness.
(here come the Martin addicts to tear me to shreds )
You can get some fine guitars for that price.

Try looking into...
- 1, 15, and 16 series Martins(the lowest end all solid wood guitars that Martin has to offer)
- Taylor 300 series
- Larrivee 03 and 04 series
- Seagull SWS(solid wood series) guitars. These are under $1000, but sound fantastic.
- Guild GAD series(also under $1000)
- Epiphone Masterbilt series
- Alvarez
- Breedlove

Some of these brands will have great guitars for under $1000. Just remember, it's not about how expensive the guitar is. It's whether or not you like it.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
actually, if you dont mind a little smaller sized one, Parkwood by Cort is an awesome brand. I had a friend who had a Parkwood and i was THISSS close from purchasing one. Easy to play and the sound is phenomenal..

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Parkwood-PW370M-GC-Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar?sku=512554#new

more info, http://www.parkwoodguitars.com/guitar_pw370m.htm

all solid man! :p
another vote for trying the taylor 300 series. i was also very happily surprised by the gibson SJ100 ae - the all maple version has plenty of bottom end and mids and sparkling highs. if you can find one, check it out. and check out the takamine supernatural series. the tan16c sounds amazing both plugged and unplugged. i slightly preferred the takamine storm IF you can find one - they were the limited edition for 2007. i also love the american-made breedloves, and if you can find a sale or used Performance Focus Dreadnought for your price, i'd consider snapping it up.

btw, the takamine all koa guitar is all laminate, and while it sounds very good, it's also pretty quiet.
That price does open up a lot of options. You should check out Stonebridge. Hand made in Eastern Europe, they do have good distribution in North America. But the choice of great guitars in that range is endless.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I spent two hours at Guitar Center last night trying out guitars. In that price range, you really want to test out the Martins. I found an awesome one that I LOVED. And I came to some conclusions. I want a non electric acoustic. But If I was to get an acoustic electric, I tried out the Breedlove A25 Stage performer, and it was awesome. I did not like any of the Takamine guitars that I tried. I liked a few of the Gibson Hummingbird models. But, I've narrowed my future guitar purchase to either a Martin or a Gibson in the price range you're talking about. The martin that I tried was around 1299, and sounded good with my voice. I wrote the exact model down, but it is in my wallot. Good luck. DON'T SETTLE!
Oh, and If it's impossible to try out the actual guitar itself, the next best thing you can do is look up the guitar on youtube, there are a bunch of stores that do video demos of guitars. I thought I had it bad, being that my store was one hour away, but 12? Wow. You have my sympathy.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Quote by Lurcher
That price does open up a lot of options. You should check out Stonebridge. Hand made in Eastern Europe, they do have good distribution in North America. But the choice of great guitars in that range is endless.

I woulda suggested them too, but those are over $2000USD for sure.
Equipment:

Quote by clayonfire
Oh, and If it's impossible to try out the actual guitar itself, the next best thing you can do is look up the guitar on youtube, there are a bunch of stores that do video demos of guitars. I thought I had it bad, being that my store was one hour away, but 12? Wow. You have my sympathy.

Thanks, there are shops tht hold strings, and the such, but no ''big'' furnishers

I'm mainly interested in the Martin and Taylor models...

how do those 2 compare against my norman B20??????????????
This thread is OLD.
Equipment: