I purchased a carvin SX-300 head this week and Ive been fiddling with it and cant seem to get a high enough gain on it even though Ive pushed the hi-gain button AND have the drive on 10. Im looking for like a hard rock/death/thrash sound but I cant seem to make the amp do it. It sounds fine with palm mutes but with regular chords and stuff its not nearly distorted enough its like idk how to explain it exactly.

Any thoughts? Is it the head or my guitar or what? I play an RG350DX the pickups sound pretty metal as the friend I purchased it from played arch enemy and stuff like that on it.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Loss of gain sounds like it might be a bad preamp tube. Try holding a chord and tapping each preamp tube with the eraser end of a pencil and see what happens.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Loss of gain sounds like it might be a bad preamp tube. Try holding a chord and tapping each preamp tube with the eraser end of a pencil and see what happens.

Forgot to mention its a solid state to my knowledge. I havent come up with a good setting since I bought it and this is after messing with it for hours every day.

EDIT: Harmony central says solid state so I was correct
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Carvin/SX-300H+Head/10/2
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Lethal Dosage at Jun 27, 2009,
Yeah, it's solidstate.

Um.. did you buy it used or anything? Does the amp in general seem like it isn't loud?
get yourself a metal muff lol
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by ChrisBW
Yeah, it's solidstate.

Um.. did you buy it used or anything? Does the amp in general seem like it isn't loud?

Yeah bought it used, no its plenty loud I just dont think its voiced to the sound I want.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
pedals to shape your sound. get a keeley modded mt-2. i think thats what its called.....
My band's one cover is in my profile!

Rig:

Charvel San Dimas Style 2 Pagan Gold
Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff