Amp

/Thread

(Don't even try to ****in argue that)
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

In these simple terms, amp. By a long, long way. No matter what guitar you are playing, it can only sound as good as the amp you're using. If you have a crap amp, you will sound like crap even with an amazing guitar. If you have a good amp then you can at least get a passable tone even with a beginner's guitar.

However there are many, many more factors that effect tone than just 'amp' and 'guitar'.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The amp is generally more important because, in all the possible combinations, only a good amp gives you a good sound.

Crap guitar through crap amp = extra crap.
Crap guitar through good amp = decent to crap.
Good guitar through bad amp = crap.
Good guitar through good amp = tasty.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Amp no doubt. Guitar will affect playability, the amp determines 80 percent of your tone.
Line 6 SpiderValve 112 - Strymon SV Pre; G12-K100
Ibanez RG Custom Built - Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
Line 6 M13
A'ight. Cool.

I'm playing a no-name guitar through a Spider III right now (don't hurt me!) I like the guitar a lot, and I definately want to keep it. I play in lots of alternate tunings, some kind of far from standard, so I think another guitar would be good to have.

With those statements in mind, what should I go for; a new amp, or a new guitar?
Quote by Matt Doreen
A'ight. Cool.

I'm playing a no-name guitar through a Spider III right now (don't hurt me!) I like the guitar a lot, and I definately want to keep it. I play in lots of alternate tunings, some kind of far from standard, so I think another guitar would be good to have.

With those statements in mind, what should I go for; a new amp, or a new guitar?

if your guitar plays fine, then def. an amp. if the guitar plays poorly, and you feel it may be holding you back, go try an expensive guitar through a Spider III at GC or some place like that, and see how much of a difference it makes. then make your decision.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
The guitar plays fine. That's not the problem with the guitar. It's just a pain to switch back and forth between lower tunings, and when I start gigging, it's gonna be a total bitch.
Quote by Matt Doreen
The guitar plays fine. That's not the problem with the guitar. It's just a pain to switch back and forth between lower tunings, and when I start gigging, it's gonna be a total bitch.

Which sucks more: having to gig with a Spider, or having to change tunings? Replace whichever would suck more.
Quote by guitarsftw
go try an expensive guitar through a Spider III at GC or some place like that, and see how much of a difference it makes.
I can save him the time, I'll tell you how much difference it makes: **** all.
Spider III series amps are modelling amps. That means no matter what you put through them - guitar, pickups, pedals, whatever - the amp will always try it's hardest to make the final result sound a specific way.
That's okay when you're a beginner just practising the basics to yourself in your bedroom and you just need a couple of basic generic tones, but once you're after something more specific the modelling amp will have to be thrown out the window and you'll need to get an amp designed for the specific type of tone and playing you want.

Quote by Matt Doreen
To be honest when you're gigging, no matter what your guitar and amp is, you do not stand there and start changing tunings mid-set. If you try and do that (or even just tune up on stage) then the crowd willl murder you.
If you're going to use different tunings live then you have multiple guitars so when it comes to change tunings you run over, stick your amp in standby, switch guitars and flip the amp back on and you're good to go in ~7 seconds.

That said you really shouldn't use a Spider III series amp live either.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Jun 27, 2009,