What would be the approximate cost to refinish an american standard telecaser, to one solid color?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Most decent people will do a single, solid colour poly refinish on a guitar body for somewhere around the $200 mark, give or take depending on local prices in your area and how good the person is. A nitro refinish will usually cost a bit more. Of course it does depend a lot on the current condition of the body, if they need to put in the hours to strip the existing finish, etc etc.

I have seen prices as low as $120 and as high as $600 for a basic refinish, but you do get what you pay for.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Joe Strummer got his refinished for I believe free at a car shop I'm pretty sure he worked at(Don't quote me there, while I like him and The Clash, I'm not a huge fan so I'm not positive other than the car primer). On the other hand a professional repainting can cost upwards of $500 depending on who and what colour. What are you looking for specifically?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Say I bought a natural finish, would that make it cheaper because of only needing to strip the poly coat?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by necrosis1193
Joe Strummer got his refinished for I believe free at a car shop I'm pretty sure he worked at(Don't quote me there, while I like him and The Clash, I'm not a huge fan so I'm not positive other than the car primer). On the other hand a professional repainting can cost upwards of $500 depending on who and what colour. What are you looking for specifically?

Refinishing a brand new natural finish standard USA tele to a aged white/blonde.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
The natural finish is no easier to strip really.

Ever consider putting together a Tele from Warmoth parts instead? The total cost for a regular Telecaster from Warmoth is usually the same or cheaper than a Fender American Standard, the quality is the same if not higher (and endorsed by Fender themselves for replacement necks and bodies) and they'll do it in vintage white, cream, translucent butterscotch blonde or Mary Kay white (trans white that can look like an aged white depending on the wood underneath).
I put a Tele together from Warmoth parts myself since Fender didn't do the finish I wanted and I'm glad I did, the finished guitar is much better than any MIA Fender Tele I've played, even with my botched assembly.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Ill look into that, thanks. How much did your overall cost come to?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Mine ended up costing around the £950 mark, I don't remember the exact number. That's including the shipping to the UK though as well as our crappy VAT and customs/import charges that were somewhere just shy of £200; the guitar parts themselves altogether cost around £750 + the pickups that I got elsewhere.

Not bad considering that a Fender American Standard Telecaster here costs £770 + £60 for certain finishes, Fender don't make a finish anything like what I wanted and this way I got the woods, fret wire, tuners, electronics and everything else exactly as I wanted it. The next closest I could have gotten would have been buying a Fender Am Deluxe Tele (£1050) and replacing all the electronics (£130 on pickups + whatever for pots and such). So even with the UK's crappy extra import charges, I still got exactly what I wanted from Warmoth for less than something that wouldn't have been quite right from Fender.

So yeah, Warmoth is a great way to go, so long as you're really sure of what you're ordering. They do so many options it can get a bit confusing if you don't know what nut size and fretwire you prefer and all that, plus of course you do need to be able to put the guitar together yourself since they are only allowed to send you the parts as... well, parts. Fender's license with Warmoth means Warmoth can make replacement necks and bodies to exact Fender specifications but they're not allowed to put together and sell whole completed guitars. So you need to be able to screw and solder everything together.