Need an amp that will overpower a drummer and be loud enough for a small gig. I play metal and I don't want to spend over $400. I was looking at a blackstar halfstack because it is cheap loud enough and I already have distortion pedals to give me the tone I want. What are some other suggestions. The peavey vyper looks good but I don't want a modeling amp.
peavey valveking

definately get a tube amp.. you don't need as many watts either... they are different than solid states... i gig with a 15 watt Orange Tiny Terror
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
valveking, if you use a bad monkey to boost the OD with it you can get a good metal tone, it's loud, it's about 400 and the cleans are good You might need to change the speaker later on though, cause peavey's stock ones are crap

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

If you can go used, consider the following:

- Fender Bassman
- Peavey Classic 30/50
- Carvin X100B
- Ampeg VH140c
- Crate Vintage Club

All of those amps will be louder than the Blackheart, some of them (X100B, VH140c) may have better distortion than your pedals.

EDIT: With regard to the Peavey Valveking, going used is recommended, but it needs an EQ pedal at least to get good br00t4lz. Check my profile for clips, it's the latest one. Gain was on '2' on the amp and I was using a guitar with a fairly hot pickup (mind you, I normally have the gain on 7...) The gain boost doesn't come on till later on in the clip, so it starts out pretty low gain.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Jun 27, 2009,
Ok thanks but I just saw a crate flexwave 120hs for about $400. I love crate amps and I already use one but it is too quiet. But I will probally get the ampeg by 140c if I can find it.
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
peavey valveking

This is a terrible suggestion for the TS' budget, IMO. Even a 112 with the proper upgrades (speaker swap, tube change, OD pedal, EQ) to make it sound good will run over $400.
Quote by FightinIrishP

definately get a tube amp.. you don't need as many watts either... they are different than solid states... i gig with a 15 watt Orange Tiny Terror
I personally prefer tubes as well, though for solid state the Vettas are very good as well.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Raijouta

All of those amps will be louder than the Blackheart

he said blackstar, not blackheart
blackheart is louder than the blackstar. and those amps are all ****-off expensive even when used across the pond over here

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Is it the Blackstar HT-5? That's probably the best-souning amp you'l ever find in your price range, but at 5W getting it to cut through a band mix can be tricky.

It should be fine for most small bar gigs, but don't rely solely on it unless your band has an extra mic handy to run it though the PA if it's not quite loud enough.