In the guitar I'm currently building (see "building a double neck guitar") I'm using an SSH
pickup configuration and I've chosen the Dimarzio Are 67s for the neck and middle positions.

So my question to you is

What would be a good f-spaced humbucker to go with these?
Quote by ohspyro89
This question is entirely too vague.

Try this. Just post your preferences of
-What you want to sound like. Crunchy, bluesy, etc.
-Your amp and pedal setup

With that, I'm sure someone could help you better. Hell... as far as I know, use one from an Epi Les Paul, it might be the right pickup for you!

Your right, I'm sorry, I was pretty sleep deprived at that point.

I have an Epi Paul so I'm looking for something different.
The point of this thread is to find a good f-spaced humbucker that will match well with the Area '67s.... so something kind of on the low end of a hot pickup- if that makes sense.

Some of the one's I've looked at are the
EVH Frankenstein Humbucker:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/EVH-Frankenstein-Humbucker-580302-i1435343.gc

and the Dimarzio Air Classic:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzio-DP191-Air-Classic-Bridge-Pickup-302700-i1127797.gc

Now on the EVH, It's frickin expensive, and I'm not sure how it would work with a floyd. I assume it would but that price tag is still there. And the Dimarzio isn't f-spaced but a lot cheaper.

EDIT:
Oh yeah and its basswood.
Last edited by Dehydrated Wate at Jun 27, 2009,
air nortons do come in F spaced, you havent looked hard enough. i found them when i was going to get them for my Jackson.

if we knew what you wanted, as far as genres, we could help more.

but i HAZ AN IDEAR: if both will be SSH, make one neck so you can coil split the humbucker for a strat-like sound.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by conor1148
air nortons do come in F spaced, you havent looked hard enough. i found them when i was going to get them for my Jackson.

if we knew what you wanted, as far as genres, we could help more.

but i HAZ AN IDEAR: if both will be SSH, make one neck so you can coil split the humbucker for a strat-like sound.

Well one neck ( side?, guitar?) is HSH and the other is SSH.

And BTW Air Classic not Norton.
I'll just list some of the stuff that I play we'll see if it is any help:
Aerosmith
Alice In Chains
Alter Bridge
Beatles
Black Crowes (This is where alternate tunings come in handy)
Sabbath
Blue Oyster Cult
Black Stone Cherry
Boston
Buckethead ( killswitch)
Deep Purple
Doors
Dream Theater
Clapton
Full Service ( Austin band probably unheard of on UG)
GNR
Hendrix
Journey
Kiss
Zep
Megadeth
Metallica
Nirvana
Offspring
Ozzy
Pantera
Pearl Jam
Pink Floyd
Primus ( mainly bass though)
Queen
RHCP
Rise Against
Rush
Scorpions
Smashing Pumpkins
Soundgarden
Spacehog
Vai
SRV
STP
Sublime
Toadies
Van Halen
White Stripes
The Who

Sounds kind of like an iTunes playlist because it is my "I can play that song" playlist.
I have an Epi Les Paul and homemade PRS copy with EMGs which is good for some things but I want something different.
Quote by conor1148
air nortons

He said Air Classics, not Air Nortons.

The list of current production DiMarzio Airbuckers:

Air Classic (bridge and neck)
Air Norton
Air Zone

The classics are vintage output (they're found in the most recent Ibby PGM), while the Air Norton is the go-to neck pickup for progressive shredders (Buckethead, Petrucci, etc.) The Norton pickup it was based on is was initially intended to be a bridge pickup, so check it out there too. The Air Zone is a lower output version of the Tone Zone, a VERY warm, punchy bridge pickup with moderate-high output.

ALL DiMarzio pickups are available in F spacing... if I recall correctly.

EDIT: Check out the DiMarzio Breed, PAF Joe, Super Distortion 2, and either the Norton or Air Norton. Your list requires a good, versatile medium output pickup (like the Nortons and Joe) that can sound great with high or lower gain. You may find your sound lacking some if you go with a lower output pickup and try to play Metallica or Vai. but if you have say, a higher output pickup wired for a coil split or tap, your versatility with go through the roof.

EDIT2: Ah, an HSH and an SSH. For the SSH, go with an Air Classic in the bridge, and for the HSH, you might prefer a Breed neck, and a Super Distortion bridge. that way you have a greater range of tones in the instrument.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jun 27, 2009,
Quote by Shinozoku
He said Air Classics, not Air Nortons.

The list of current production DiMarzio Airbuckers:

Air Classic (bridge and neck)
Air Norton
Air Zone

The classics are vintage output (they're found in the most recent Ibby PGM), while the Air Norton is the go-to neck pickup for progressive shredders (Buckethead, Petrucci, etc.) The Norton pickup it was based on is was initially intended to be a bridge pickup, so check it out there too. The Air Zone is a lower output version of the Tone Zone, a VERY warm, punchy bridge pickup with moderate-high output.

ALL DiMarzio pickups are available in F spacing... if I recall correctly.

EDIT: Check out the DiMarzio Breed, PAF Joe, Super Distortion 2, and either the Norton or Air Norton. Your list requires a good, versatile medium output pickup (like the Nortons and Joe) that can sound great with high or lower gain. You may find your sound lacking some if you go with a lower output pickup and try to play Metallica or Vai. but if you have say, a higher output pickup wired for a coil split or tap, your versatility with go through the roof.

EDIT2: Ah, an HSH and an SSH. For the SSH, go with an Air Classic in the bridge, and for the HSH, you might prefer a Breed neck, and a Super Distortion bridge. that way you have a greater range of tones in the instrument.

This may be one of the most helpful comments in either one of my threads and I thank you for this.
The bodies are precut and ordered so its pretty much a necessity to have an f-spaced bridge pickup, and I have yet to find an f-spaced air classic.
The Air Norton has also been on my mind thats probably what I'll go with on the SSH.
Okay I think I have what I want in mind so far:

Dimarzio Super Distortion/????/Dimarzio Breed

DimarzioAir Norton/Dimarzio Area '67/Dimarzio Area '67

I'm still not 100% sure on the HSH and I still need a good middle pickup for it as well.
Don't do SSH and HSH. There's only one HB difference; no real point to having 2 necks then.
I'd do SSS and HH or HSH personally.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Quote by wiliscool
Don't do SSH and HSH. There's only one HB difference; no real point to having 2 necks then.
I'd do SSS and HH or HSH personally.

Again, the bodies are already cut and I'm stretching it enough with putting a single coil in a humbucker slot. I'm going to have to figure out how to keep it in there.

And I'm using very different humbuckers for each side, so yes, there is a point.
Ok... I think I've decided on the pickup configuration
For the H/S/H:
Bridge-Dimarzio Super Distortion M- Dimarzio Chopper N- Dimarzio PAF Joe

S/S/H:
Bridge- Dimarzio Air Classic ( slightly angled EVH style to work with the Floyd Rose)
M- Dimarzio Area 67 N- Dimarzio Area 67

Any ideas?