ok im getting a fender hot rod deluxe (hopefully) i know its way too loud for home use so i was looking to buy a attenuator. unfortunatley i have no idea what to look for. so i need some help here. i am willing to go used and id like to keep it under $100 usd. i am located in san diego, ca.
How many watts is it? And attenuator's are not the cheapest of things, not going to get much with $100
Quote by Ghold125
^That's not really an attenuator, more of a level knob

ah crap...will it still turn down the volume of the amp while i can actually turn the amp up
That pedal is pretty much the same thing as your guitars volume knob. Why do you want an attunator? So that you can get the natural break up?
Quote by Ghold125
That pedal is pretty much the same thing as your guitars volume knob. Why do you want an attunator? So that you can get the natural break up?

yeah, i know tube amps sound great when cranked but 40 watts is way too loud. i wanted something for both home use and gig use
You're considering it before you've even go the amp?

And the HRD is really more of a clean amp (if you want overdrive from it a tubescreamer usually works) so tube saturation is not nearly as important as on, say, a Plexi.

What styles do you play?
I use a bridged t type, purely resistive attenuator.

If you could get your hands on the correct resistors, and weren't scared of some DIY, it wasn't expensive at all and it works well (found it sounded better than the common L pad).

Otherwise, the Weber Mass series are very good, especially considering the price. Very clever.
Quote by kyle62
You're considering it before you've even go the amp?

And the HRD is really more of a clean amp
(if you want overdrive from it a tubescreamer usually works) so tube saturation is not nearly as important as on, say, a Plexi.

What styles do you play?

This is an important point, I've noticed that generally people around you aren't as fussed with louder guitar playing if it's clean and not a load of noisy overdrive.
Quote by Rikki DeMartini
This is an important point, I've noticed that generally people around you aren't as fussed with louder guitar playing if it's clean and not a load of noisy overdrive.

That's a totally different way of looking at it, but very true. As a rule, Cranking an amp is much more important for crunch and overdriven tones; for which I wouldn't recommend the HRD.

If you do want valve overdrive with the HRD, instead of an attenuator, why not fit some THD Yellowjackets?
Not to hijack, but does an MXR 10 band EQ act as an attenuator, or is that different? It has a volume and gain slider, is dropping the volume on the EQ way down but having the amp cranked the same thing an attenuator is doing? Seems like it would be assuming you have it in the effects loop.
Quote by GuitarDTO
Not to hijack, but does an MXR 10 band EQ act as an attenuator, or is that different? It has a volume and gain slider, is dropping the volume on the EQ way down but having the amp cranked the same thing an attenuator is doing? Seems like it would be assuming you have it in the effects loop.

Nope, that's really no different from a master volume. Very useful as a solo booster though.
What an attenuator does is dissipates energy that would be converted into sound energy into heat, so you are effectively reducing the volume of a cranked amp.

Master volumes are placed before the power amp, and while you will still get preamp distortion, the power amp saturation will not be present, and that is a vital part of the cranked amp sound.
How do attenuators get hooked up then? If it needs to go after the power tubes so you get the power tube distortion, but then reduce the volume, how does that work? Do you have to rewire your amp?
I think I answered my own question, this probably works between amp HEAD and cabinet right? But not with a combo.
Why are you needing an attenuator for a HRD? It's a clean platform.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.