Page 1 of 2
Do any of you have a subject at school that just doesnt make sense?
I do advanced chemistry and physics, and it all makes sense, maybe not at first, but in the end, and English, Maths, History are all easy. But there is one thing I am horrible at.
German
I just CAN NOT remember a single grammar rule. Half the class see's a rule once and just remembers it. Same with genders of words (Every word has one of 3 articles that can come before it) I have a friend who just.... remembers them, first time.
In 2 1/2 years I have remembered the gender for about 5 words..... it's sad...... Can't wait to drop it next year.

Anyone else got subjects like this?
I ****ing hated history. had nothing to do with learning, just with memorizing.

edit: also, here in germany we pretty much only do the 2 world wars and just graze over everything else.
psychology. meh, i say! meh!
I have no opinion on this matter.
I don't get math simply because I never paid any attention in the early high school years. I slept through class and never learned the foundations of math that I should have. Now it's really hard for me. I don't have the background in algebra that someone in college should have. I have to take remedial courses.
Quote by assparade69
every non music class. ever.

i ****ing hated music class in school, because we hardly ever played instruments, and if then only the xylophone, and the rest of the time it was MOTHER****ING MUSIC HISTORY *head explodes*
I have a lot of subjects I didn't get, but then, with a little work and effort, I suddenly got them.

It's like a new way of learning!
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
IPT, it has nothing to do with computers. it's pretty gay and lame
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
im with the dude who never paid attention and now struggles with math i wish i had paid more attention
"Man will never truly be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last preist"- Denis Diderot

"some rise some fall some climb to get to terrapin "
University level general mathematics. ****ing glad that semester is over, never will I take another maths paper again.
Music classes... i suck at reading sheet music.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Most of the math subjects I despise. I understand the point to some of them, but it's really a complete waste of time to do the upper level math classes unless you're going into a field that requires you to use them. I can add, subtract, multiply, and divide, and that's all I need for the careers I plan on going into. Math should be an elective.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Geometry.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Quote by CoreysMonster
I ****ing hated history. had nothing to do with learning, just with memorizing.

edit: also, here in germany we pretty much only do the 2 world wars and just graze over everything else.

I don't mean to attack but perhaps enlighten but I think your hate for history is because of the way you view it. I love history and it's more about understanding the ideas and taking a lesson from the past.

I don't understand math and any form of science that stems directly from them.
I've had some really ****y math teachers and I wasn't mature enough at the time to see the importance

I also don't like when people weigh the symbolic meaning of literature to heavily. I get it, it's cool, it's fun, it's important, but god damnit sometimes you need to just enjoy it
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
Quote by Terrapin Man
im with the dude who never paid attention and now struggles with math i wish i had paid more attention

It's a bitch huh? Math will always build on what you already know, and if you don't know the basics you're screwed. I'm screwed!
i agree with whoever said the stuff about history being awesome

History and English are my favorite subjects, because I love reading about people and civilizations in the past. English is easy and I like to write, but the method of forcing people to read a book and have a test over it is ridiculous to me. The book probably wasn't written for people in the future to analyze and diagnose every aspect of it. To me books are to enjoy and interpret in your own way, and having to fill out a study guide while reading it and having to worry about a test over it takes away from the joy of even reading it.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I'm going into AP German 4 next year, and I just put "die" in front of words I don't know the gender of, because it sounds the most like "the."

I don't have problems with the genders really as much as I do with putting them in the right form. It's usually just guess and pray with me.
So fell Lord Perth...

... And the countryside did shake with that thunder.
well man i loved science class but the furtur along we got the more science and math were entertwined so my hatred of math class is whats making my quest to be the jimmie page while also being a world renowned astrophysicist are pretty much shot (and JK noone will ever come close to jimmie page)
"Man will never truly be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last preist"- Denis Diderot

"some rise some fall some climb to get to terrapin "
Never liked subjects like accounting and commerce etc. Not that I thought that they're unimportant (though they are a little), I always thought it pointless.
Quote by ixKilledxKenny
I'm going into AP German 4 next year, and I just put "die" in front of words I don't know the gender of, because it sounds the most like "the."

I don't have problems with the genders really as much as I do with putting them in the right form. It's usually just guess and pray with me.

Haha, I'm in German 3 Pre-AP and I do the same thing. I get all tthe words and how you're supposed to do it I just really don't feel like taking the time.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by ifeastonbums

I also don't like when people weigh the symbolic meaning of literature to heavily. I get it, it's cool, it's fun, it's important, but god damnit sometimes you need to just enjoy it

It just separates the boys from the men, so to speak. You know you're in deep when you get enjoyment out of the analysis as well.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Chemistry.

Who gives a care about those particles and atoms?

Only the people who grow up and become scientists and stuff in that area will have use for that stuff.
DeVillains!
Quote by ifeastonbums

Quoted for awesomeness, truth, and emphasis. I agree.

Also, I hate when the class starts talking about the book and going off smaller trails that lead to unimportant things that no one needs to know.

Example: In To Kill a Mockingbird, a lady named Miss Maudie's house burned down. Now instead of discussing how it was important to the plot, or something similar, my class and teacher would start talking about how it could have burned down and what could have caught on fire.

Example 2: Another story, called The Open Window, is about how a little girl lies to a man visiting the countryside (because of mental instability) about how her aunt is crazy. The aunt supposedly thinks that her husband and sons (who supposedly died three years ago) are going to come home from hunting through a big open window like they used to. Well, really, it's all made up and the husband and sons are still alive. When they come back home through the window, it scares the man so bad that he runs away from the house and never comes back.

Now, instead of discussing the traits of the little girl, my class would discuss what could have happened to the little girl's parents that made her live with her aunt, or what caused the man's mental instability in the city.

Very long post, eh? Well, both of those things bug me. A LOT.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
It just separates the boys from the men, so to speak. You know you're in deep when you get enjoyment out of the analysis as well.

sometimes I do.
I guess I was really thinking of my old English professor. She took it to far; cross referencing everything. Even the others in the department gave her **** for it
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
biology. i didn't get anything in that class
ps: i love history
Quote by stinger12345
Because the Bay Area is the ****.

Quote by RockGuitar92
I'd be like "wtf, bro?" Then I'd promptly ice the bitch.
Last edited by punkrockdoc at Jun 27, 2009,
Art. How is someone supposed to draw when they are being forced to? I never completed any assignments on time. I can't just draw 3 cup cakes when told to... I have to be in a cup cakey mood!
Quote by Terrapin Man
well man i loved science class but the furtur along we got the more science and math were entertwined so my hatred of math class is whats making my quest to be the jimmie page while also being a world renowned astrophysicist are pretty much shot (and JK noone will ever come close to jimmie page)

yep/ but you should start off by spelling his name right... it will get you just a tad closer...
Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Maths. I was great at it.

Then I entered the 7th grade.

Oh god, this.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Quoted for awesomeness, truth, and emphasis. I agree.

Also, I hate when the class starts talking about the book and going off smaller trails that lead to unimportant things that no one needs to know.

*examples*

Now, instead of discussing the traits of the little girl, my class would discuss what could have happened to the little girl's parents that made her live with her aunt, or what caused the man's mental instability in the city.

Very long post, eh? Well, both of those things bug me. A LOT.

Those "smaller trails" and the amount of detail you can scrounge from them are what separates good writers from mediocre ones. A good writer will never waste words on an incident, idea or image without it being related to a theme of the work. If you read closely both of the examples you've chosen, I think a lot of parallels will crop up when you consider the meaning of the book as a whole.

That's the point of all that work really. I used to think it was BS too, but it's really quite enlightening. Plus, you can always glean something from a text no matter how many times you read it if it's really well written. There's nothing better than that to giant literature nerds.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Despised ICT A Level, it wasnt about how good the products you made were, or how good the website / flyer / w.e was, but how well you wrote pure garbage aimed at illiterate chimps about your product.
It's weird, I'm really good at physics, but it takes me a long time to understand Algebra II and Pre-Cal. Maybe I just think about it too much.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Last year I did Business, and I couldn't understand ****. I could listen and remember things I was told, but I didn't know what it meant or why it was important. And since nothing in Business actually exists, and a word on a document is as real as anything gets, explanations didn't even seem to explain anything. I ended up failing it after handing in a picture of a laughing volcano instead of a 10-page business plan.

And I now do Ancient History, and I'd forgotten how incredibly dull it is. I don't ****ing care what some bricks tell us about the ancient Greeks, and I can't understand why someone would think about some bricks long enough to extract information from them.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Jun 27, 2009,
English and English Literature are two subjects which I utterly loathe and subsequently am completely uninterested in. This leads to a lack of effort with an end result of poor gades. Why am I forced to a) study my own language whenever I believe am proficient enough in its use to not need to? b) study in depth witing in my own languagen that some old doddering idiots have decided is a great piece of literature?

I have nothing against people with an interest for thes things, but I believe my time would be better spent studying ICT and Geography, to help in the three separate science classes and two Additional Maths classes I take.
Page 1 of 2