first off, not sure where to put this, as there is no singing forum, closest being songwriting, and as implied by the title that's for songwriting questions.

anyway, im learning to sing by learning to hit notes. ive found out my vocal range, can hit certain notes and whatnot, but the real question i have is: how would i go about learning to sing a song? say, for example, karma police by radiohead. how would i learn to sing that by ear? would i be forced to look at a midi track/sheet music, discerning the notes thom yorke hits and then taking it from there? or is there an easier way to learning by ear? or is it just going to figure itself out once i get better. for the record ive only started very recently, so i'm new to the whole thing.

thanks for any help, monkeys of the pit
BASSLINES TO MAKE YOUR CHEST CAVITY SHUDDER.
Quote by CoreysMonster
wait, so you cant sing a song after listening to it?

you probably shouldn't sing.

^^ hahaha

edit: damn
back in the old days when there weren't any so call way to follow to learn how to sing anything, people just listened to songs and tried to sing it, and found out what kind of voice they were comfortable with, what they couldnt and what they could sing. none of this vocal lesson bull.
Quote by ep1kz

i've yet to see somebody overthink something as incredibly as you just have

Quote by GrayFoxz
back in the old days when there weren't any so call way to follow to learn how to sing anything, people just listened to songs and tried to sing it, and found out what kind of voice they were comfortable with, what they couldnt and what they could sing. none of this vocal lesson bull.

yeah, because opera singers had no lessons at all.
Quote by GrayFoxz

You are only 17. Don't tell us about the old days. We have developed voice lessons and sheet music for a reason.
yea but all that extra stuff may not be necessary. Just sing along to the song in you range rather than thom's range. you can still discern the correct notes you are siinging even if the pitch of your voice doesn't mirror that of thom's
Gear:
PRS SE Custom
Takamine G Series Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
Digitech RP 250

Quote by voodoochild23
The only time I'll dance is if Nickelback caught fire and no one helped.
Quote by CoreysMonster
wait, so you cant sing a song after listening to it?

you probably shouldn't sing.

to be honest, i haven't really tried. im waiting till ive got more confidence in my ability to try. i was just wondering if there were any other ways.

i'll take this to the singing thread then. much love to all that have answered

edit: spelling
i would personally say learn the notes by ear, thats what i do at least
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by JacobTheMe
You are only 17. Don't tell us about the old days. We have developed voice lessons and sheet music for a reason.

hell yeah. and singers are surpassing legends now, are they? i listen to stuff older than my age, i can tell the difference between a then singer and a now singer.
Quote by ep1kz

Quote by GrayFoxz
hell yeah. and singers are surpassing legends now, are they? i listen to stuff older than my age, i can tell the difference between a then singer and a now singer.

no you cant, you can tell the difference between a then recording and a now recording.
dont be one of the idiots who thinks "there are no more great singers waaah". because fact is, it's exactly the opposite. there are TOO MANY great singers today, and thus the market is over saturated, so legends like Sinatra are no longer possible.
Quote by CoreysMonster
no you cant, you can tell the difference between a then recording and a now recording.
dont be one of the idiots who thinks "there are no more great singers waaah". because fact is, it's exactly the opposite. there are TOO MANY great singers today, and thus the market is over saturated, so legends like Sinatra are no longer possible.

i DIDNT say that. in fact, there are so many that they are more and more unrecognised/unsigned singers out there that don't even get a chance; what i'm implyin is that now most of the singers write their music and sing in a way to fit the mainstream, rather than tryin to create their own style. it makes today's music so limited.
Quote by ep1kz

Quote by GrayFoxz
i DIDNT say that. in fact, there are so many that they are more and more unrecognised/unsigned singers out there that don't even get a chance; what i'm implyin is that now most of the singers write their music and sing in a way to fit the mainstream, rather than tryin to create their own style. it makes today's music so limited.

so because i/people like me take vocal lessons, we're automatically trying to write music and sing in a way that fits the mainstream?

Quote by GrayFoxz

and they didn't do that 70 years ago?
Quote by CoreysMonster
and they didn't do that 70 years ago?

no, but lessons now are geared towards mainstream. whatever they did 70 years ago didnt matter, because there were still a variety of singing styles. whereas, now,
Quote by ep1kz

Quote by GrayFoxz
no, but lessons now are geared towards mainstream. whatever they did 70 years ago didnt matter, because they were still a variety of singing styles. whereas, now,

so RnB, Rock, Metal, Soul and Pop are all the same singing style? if anything, there are MORE singing styles than there used to be. dude, stop judging the musical world by American Idol and radio
Quote by GrayFoxz
no, but lessons now are geared towards mainstream. whatever they did 70 years ago didnt matter, because there were still a variety of singing styles. whereas, now,

lessons that teach you to hit notes = geared toward mainstream?

you're seriously not making any sense
ts, what type of music are you trying to sing? because you can teach yourself to sing decently by singing along with most types of music. there are more difficult ones, but just find an artist that matches your range and sing along. dont overthink it. if you need sight singing lessons, you can always do it after you learn the fundamentals.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by CoreysMonster
so RnB, Rock, Metal, Soul and Pop are all the same singing style? if anything, there are MORE singing styles than there used to be. dude, stop judging the musical world by American Idol and radio

nope. there used to be all of that. PLUS. gospel, blues, jazz. ON the radio. i'm not judgin the musical world just by the radio -.- even if there are more styles, they've been isolated. the mainstream back then isnt as narrow as it is now.
Quote by ep1kz

Quote by ep1kz
lessons that teach you to hit notes = geared toward mainstream?

you're seriously not making any sense

vocal coach thinks you have the voice -> recommends you to a songwriter/labelcompany/manager/ -> you sing the mainstream poppish stuff a song writer would write for you OR you write stuff, they review it, if they think it can't hit the radio and because its also not something people would buy (like metal, etc) you wont get recorded. thus, you're either geared towards mainstream or not releasing anything.
Quote by ep1kz

EDIT: ^ and wtf kind of singing coaches have you gone to??

Quote by GrayFoxz
nope. there used to be all of that. PLUS. gospel, blues, jazz. ON the radio. i'm not judgin the musical world just by the radio -.- even if there are more styles, they've been isolated. the mainstream back then isnt as narrow as it is now.

I cannot think of a time where rock, blues, gospel, jazz, RnB etc. were all played on radio stations. certain styles are always played on mainstream radio in their prime. I can guarantee you there was no RnB in Sinatra's time, and no Jazz, blues or gospel in the 80's.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jun 27, 2009,
Quote by GrayFoxz
vocal coach thinks you have the voice -> recommends you to a songwriter/labelcompany/manager/ -> you sing the mainstream poppish stuff a song writer would write for you OR you write stuff, they review it, if they think it can't hit the radio and because its also not something people would buy (like metal, etc) you wont get recorded. thus, you're either geared towards mainstream or not releasing anything.

edit:
Quote by Zugunruhe
ts, what type of music are you trying to sing? because you can teach yourself to sing decently by singing along with most types of music. there are more difficult ones, but just find an artist that matches your range and sing along. dont overthink it. if you need sight singing lessons, you can always do it after you learn the fundamentals.

mostly i guess you could say softer music? radiohead, some beatles, maybe some muse songs that don't overdo the falsetto

i want to actually be confident in my singing ability, im a bit shy when it comes to playing music in front of people, even more so when it comes to singing, i also want to be able to sing just for the sake of entertaining myself/others and ****

plus, i need to be able to for the a.p. music theory test
Last edited by ep1kz at Jun 27, 2009,
Quote by CoreysMonster
EDIT: ^ and wtf kind of singing coaches have you gone to??

I cannot think of a time where rock, blues, gospel, jazz, RnB etc. were all played on radio stations. certain styles are always played on mainstream radio in their prime. I can guarantee you there was no RnB in Sinatra's time, and no Jazz, blues or gospel in the 80's.

A professional singing coach would have at LEAST recommended a good enough singer to a label; there were never a time that that happened, obviously, but popularity varies in places and styles and culture; and therefore, there will always be a mainstream, and if you're a singing artist at a point of time where your style is NOT mainstream, you would have been isolated, so you'd have pinpointed that luck/chance comes to play, where if the style you sing is popular when you're singing it. but that is not always the case, thats why singers change styles/genres to fit the mainstream to get popular, etc ,etc. ...

EDIT: sorry for the late reply though.
Quote by ep1kz

Quote by GrayFoxz
A professional singing coach would have at LEAST recommended a good enough singer to a label; there were never a time that that happened, obviously, but popularity varies in places and styles and culture; and therefore, there will always be a mainstream, and if you're a singing artist at a point of time where your style is NOT mainstream, you would have been isolated, so you'd have pinpointed that luck/chance comes to play, where if the style you sing is popular when you're singing it. but that is not always the case, thats why singers change styles/genres to fit the mainstream to get popular, etc ,etc. ...

EDIT: sorry for the late reply though.

of course, but that's ALWAYS been that way, that's what I've been trying to say. it has nothing to do with today
Quote by ep1kz

edit:

mostly i guess you could say softer music? radiohead, some beatles, maybe some muse songs that don't overdo the falsetto

i want to actually be confident in my singing ability, im a bit shy when it comes to playing music in front of people, even more so when it comes to singing, i also want to be able to sing just for the sake of entertaining myself/others and ****

plus, i need to be able to for the a.p. music theory test

haha. something i can sigg. ehehehe.
Quote by ep1kz