Excuse me for not having a wide range of opinions on basses, but the SR505 seems to be quite a damn good bass for the cost.

As for the best, well, i'd have to say your gonna have to go and find out with your own hands.

"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
For under $800 Schetcer Stiletto Elite 5.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
For under $800 Schetcer Stiletto Elite 5.

oh now you'll have the Humanity in here with his for sale

at $800 pretty much every major brand has a really good model out there, including that Ibanez (and other Ibanez's), low end spectors and laklands, higher end schecters and trabens, etc

i think it's one of those price points where you just have to try a lot of things
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
If you give genres or an example of a tone that you like we can be much more specific. Until then I vote Ibanez just because I love Ibanez basses.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Billy Mays here with a used Schecter Stiletto Elite 5... (400?)

but really, what music? any bands?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by capslockisnton

at $800 pretty much every major brand has a really good model out there, including that Ibanez (and other Ibanez's), low end spectors and laklands, higher end schecters and trabens, etc

i think it's one of those price points where you just have to try a lot of things

I concur, its pretty much a smorgasbord of choices in that range, and if you aren't set on new, the options increase several fold.
If you could stretch $80 http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Active-Jazz-Bass-V?sku=511596&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26041481#new would be your best choice. (I intend to own this bass at some point.)

Failing that the Ibanez ATK305 is well within your range and is one of the best basses on the market <£1000. Traben's are dirt cheap and come with lots of tasty extras but I've never seen one in real life so I'm a bit wary of them, they must be cheap for a reason. Schecter slots nicely into your range but the Stilleto body shapes are an aquired taste (one that I have yet to aquire).

Go second hand. With $800 you could get pretty much any bass but the top range ones like Deluxe MIA Fenders, Warwicks and Ricks.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Jun 27, 2009,
Quote by Spaz91
Go second hand. With $800 you could get pretty much any bass but the top range ones like Deluxe MIA Fenders, Warwicks and Ricks.

THIS.

There are some crazy deals out there, if you look hard enough.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
I agree with looking at used gear. Since the economic downturn I've noticed a ton of really nice used gear in my area for pretty cheap. Craigslist is your friend if you know what you're doing. As are basses in shops, but you could probably find a better deal on Craigslist if you're lucky enough to find the right bass for you.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
The 5 string Fender Squire J-Bass has been a real good bass for me, plus it only costs $200-250, definitley the best for such a low, low price.
Quote by patsfannumero1
The 5 string Fender Squire J-Bass has been a real good bass for me, plus it only costs $200-250, definitley the best for such a low, low price.

Like you I love this bass to bits but with $800 he could get a more solid bass than a Squier. Squier are awesome but mine needs a lot of maintenance now.
I'm going to personally endorse this bass as the best for under $800.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-BTB575FM-5-String-Bass-Guitar-104813233-i1392768.gc

thefitz has spoken. I don't talk out of my ass. If I ever get a 6-string it'll be the 6-string version of that bass.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Jun 27, 2009,
I agree with biga

The Schecter Stiletto elite 5 is the best i've played for that price. But it all depends on the sound you want. You gotta go out and try some out because there's a lot of good ones for around 800
I have an LTD 304 bass, you should check out the 5 string 400s, I've yet to play something better than mine, even though pickups are the only gripe i have with mine, i think the 400s come with EMGs which should be ALOT better. I never liked ibanez anything for some reason, but if they float your boat they seems to be pretty nice basses. And Fender makes absolutely amazing basses, so have a look at them, its more of a matter of personal feel than what UG throws at you in suggestions so try everything you can.
Quote by thefitz

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-BTB575FM-5-String-Bass-Guitar-104813233-i1392768.gc

thefitz has spoken. I don't talk out of my ass. If I ever get a 6-string it'll be the 6-string version of that bass.

played one yet?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Not the 6-string, no, but it's a logical extension really. Played the 535 several times - that's why I'm recommending it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I like that about it. Reminds me of the Vampyre.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz

I concur Fitz, i played the six string version and fell in love with it. The high C absolutely sings. I nearly got it over stingrays and fenders, until i got my custom built.
Esp Ltd..their F Series has some 5 strings for under $800.
I got the F-155DX. It was just barely over $400.
It's an amazing bass.