Looking to upgrade from a Roland Cube RX to an Marshall AVT tribute, (I mostly play heavy metal, blues and jazz). I tried it out in a guitar store the other day and in contrast to my cube it was pretty awesome. I'd like to know whether you guys think this would be a good purchase and if not could you recommend me some other worthy amps around the AU$1000 price range? Thanks
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
shred knows more about everything than anyone i think

Quote by IchiKurosaki
i hope we never meet shjred honestly i love you but im scared of you
the new valvestates such, ie the VS and the AVT. the only have decent valvestates were the 8000 series in the early 90s.

i dont know aussie dollars so i cant help with other amp suggestions and also i dont know what you guys have over there, but i would say dont get an AVT, its not really an upgrade from your cube, theyre both aimed at beginners really.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Are you going to be gigging with it? You could get an orange tiny terror combo for that price awesome little tube amps, and they take pedals really well.
^+4123412321, Orange tiny terror combo FTW!!
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
TS, you do know what AVT stands for, right?

Advanced Valvestate Technology.

meaning theyve advanced it, the same way line 6 advanced their spider, and marshall advanced the MGs with the MG4.

see the pattern? the more 'advanced' it is, the more digital and fake it sounds.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

It's a pretty poor amp - or more accurately, it's a reasonable 10W practice amp that's been beefed up in wattage and priced ludicrously high.

The Orange Tiny Terror is a pretty good suggestion, certainly go and give it a try. Just Don't buy that Marshall crap.
Hmm for blues and jazz you could afford an AC15 here http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/electric/vox/index.htm
or even the vox nighttrain head is in your pricerange but that's without a cab.
The AD100VT head is listed on that site as 1000 and comes with a free cab, it's quite a nice modeler and will do pretty much anything
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
he AD100VT is an awesome head, shame its so damnhard to get hold of across the pond.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Thanks guys!
I had a feeling that the AVT was pretty crap.(And yes I did know what it stood for :p)
Sounded pretty good to me, although I guess I'm still a bit of a noob tone wise so I guess I fell into Marshall's marketing lure (*insert 'omfgtz, super rare edition only nowz' witty salesman speech here)

I've heard of the orange tiny terror combo, I'm just wondering whether I'd have to throw in a few extra pedals to get a more 'metal' sound or not? It probably can, but I'd like to know for definite (I guess if I tried it out I would know, although the soonest that would be is by July sometime, for various reasons).
Does anyone know if the Bugera 333XL-212 is any good? The problem is, I don't think there's any Bugera distributors around Perth?
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki

Quote by IchiKurosaki
Quote by Shredoftheday
Thanks guys!
I had a feeling that the AVT was pretty crap.(And yes I did know what it stood for :p)
Sounded pretty good to me, although I guess I'm still a bit of a noob tone wise so I guess I fell into Marshall's marketing lure (*insert 'omfgtz, super rare edition only nowz' witty salesman speech here)

if it sounded pretty good to you then why did you have a feeling it was crap?

there is nothing wrong with the avt amps, i own an avt 275 and it sounds very good, they are over priced new (but so are all marshall amps) but getting them 2nd hand fairly cheap and they are well worth it, id like to know how many people have actualy played an amp or guitar on this site before they say its crap?
i play or hear someone else play, in person, all the gear i recommend or critisize.

and the avts are not only overpriced, they lack tone and life.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by scottish nutter
if it sounded pretty good to you then why did you have a feeling it was crap?

Actually, I should have worded that better. What I meant to say was 'It sounded good in the shop but I assume that because I haven't played many high quality amps and am still only a beginner that my assumption that the tone was good might be incorrect and that when I make a thread about the subject in U.G that they will probably also assume that AVTs are crappy'.
Also I heard the Bugeras are somewhat 'buzzy'? (Or at least the 333 is?)
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki

Quote by IchiKurosaki
Quote by Shredoftheday
Thanks guys!

I've heard of the orange tiny terror combo, I'm just wondering whether I'd have to throw in a few extra pedals to get a more 'metal' sound or not? It probably can, but I'd like to know for definite (I guess if I tried it out I would know, although the soonest that would be is by July sometime, for various reasons).
Does anyone know if the Bugera 333XL-212 is any good? The problem is, I don't think there's any Bugera distributors around Perth?

You would have to throw in an OD pedal, but that's about it.
Listen for yourself. Get second hand if you can I did.

Had to sign up just to add a note: I would say Intermediate, not newbie.

AVT150HXT is lovely amp, if you know how to use it. Valve Pre-Amp to get the real rock sounds and a digital back-end with a fair few effects, great if you don't have effects gear.

The cabs are a little smaller, easier for trundling to gigs.

The clean input bypasses the preamp so is flat, so no good for semi-acoustic or any other input than electric guitar.

This Amp makes great sounds with - Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic, 3 PU's, pretty good with a Epiphone Strat too.
Quote by Silver-spear94
TS, you do know what AVT stands for, right?

Advanced Valvestate Technology.

meaning theyve advanced it, the same way line 6 advanced their spider, and marshall advanced the MGs with the MG4.

see the pattern? the more 'advanced' it is, the more digital and fake it sounds.

You know what digital means right? Not the same as solid state. AVTs and MGs are both analog transistor amps, they can't possibly sound digital.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Orange Tiny Terror Combo
Laney VC30
Blackstar HT-5
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I have a similar problem to the thread starter please let me know of your final amp decision.

I have been trying out the AVT100 for the past 3 day comparing it to a Marshall DSL401 and as you can see in one of my threads i still can't make up my mind which one to get. I think it really sounds awesome, but then again i'm a noob at this kinda thing to =[
Last edited by SergeantSound at Jul 3, 2009,