Page 1 of 2
Ok guys i have been playing bass for more than a month. I can play master of puppets completely perfectly. EXCEPT the intro the, fast part:

||-----------------|----------------|----------------|----------------|
||:----------------|----------------|----------------|----------------|
||-----2-----3-----|4-----3-----2-2-|----2-----3-----|4-----3-----2---|
||-0-1---0-1---0-1-|--0-1---0-1-----|0-1---0-1---0-1-|--0-1---0-1-----|

|-----------------|----------------|----------------|-----------------||
|-----------------|----------------|----------------|----------------:||
|-----2-----3-----|4-----3-----2-2-|----2-----3-----|-----------------||
|-0-1---0-1---0-1-|--0-1---0-1-----|0-1---0-1---0-1-|3\2-0-3\2-0-3\2--||
S S S

My fingers are small and wont spread so far that fast. I have tried starting slow but its realy not helping me.
Last edited by Starscr3am at Jun 27, 2009,
Just practise chromatics man, that's all. It comes with practise.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Just play it slowly until it's quite natural; then play it a bit faster, then try for full speed.
All you can really do is practice it slowly and build speed.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
Is the problem with your fretting hand or picking hand? Do basses have wider frets than treble guitars.
Is the problem with your fretting hand or picking hand? Do basses have wider frets than treble guitars.

Yeah they are pretty wide.

the problem is my fretting hand my fingers are fine on my picking hand.

and i cant work with a pick well :P
Practise stretching your fretting hand slowly, as slowly as you would if they were covered in third degree burns.
you've been playing for a month and you can play the entire song on bass perfectly, but not the intro?

No way man, im not going to call you a liar but..

Just practice it. i learned the first bit of master of puppets, you just get better at it over time. keep practicing.

And also dont play it with a pick. Metallica should never be played on bass with a pick, because metallica orginal bass player cliff burton refused to play with a pick. Cliff wrote his part on master of puppets without a pick.
Last edited by Vypor at Jun 27, 2009,
As has been said, it really is a case of starting slow and building up speed. If your fingers won't stretch very far, and you only work on making them stretch further, you may lose synchronisation with your picking hand. As a wise man once said, speed is the byproduct of accuracy. Accuracy increases when your hand co-ordination improves. Stick to playing slowly, using BOTH hands, be hard on yourself and work yourself up.

Sure, it may not be easy, it may not be fun. But the road to the things worth acheiving is often like that.
Quote by Vypor
you've been playing for a month and you can play the entire song on bass perfectly, but not the intro?

Just practice it. i learned the first bit of master of puppets, you just get better at it over time. keep practicing.

And also dont play it with a pick. Metallica should never be played on bass with a pick, because metallica orginal bass player cliff burton refused to play with a pick. Cliff wrote his part on master of puppets without a pick.

erm... what about Jason?

It's all preference anyway
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think

No way man, im not going to call you a liar but.

Its not a problem if you do call me a liar. i just never practiced the intro properly.
Quote by gilly_90
erm... what about Jason?

It's all preference anyway

Thats true, but the only album I remotely liked when they had newstead was the black album. nothing to much after that.
Quote by Vypor

Uh...go tell that to Jason Newstead.

Edit: Beaten to it.
Quote by SquierLolz
Cliff never did the full spider riff

he always watered it down
Listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLOZ4SbLwHs

Thats crazy...

if thats the real track anyway :P his sound is horrible when its not mixed ha

On Topic, just do it slowly, i remember when i couldnt do it i practised it and eventually you can just do it.
Quote by learnerlegend
my dog's barks are more interesting than their 4/4 hits

^ Regarding AC/DC
Last edited by Metal5115 at Jun 27, 2009,
Quote by Vypor

Oh shut up, Cliff was a mediocre bassist at best nothing to write home about, how about you listen to some Atheist? You know what? He died even younger and he was a complete master of the instrument.

Listen to the real tracks, Cliff didn't play the part you have tabbed.
On Topic, just do it slowly, i remember when i couldnt do it i practised it and eventually you can just do it.

Thanks i have been practicing slowly i guess i might be able to do it. Eventually.
You can play the spider riff if you want to, but Cliff never did...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Starscr3am
Hmm.. What spider riff?

The riff that makes your hand look like an anaemic tarantula. The riff you're failing at.
Quote by lukeylynch

The first four frets on a bass cover almost the same amount of space as the first 6 frets of most guitars. Playing in first position on bass requires a big stretch or big hands.
We Are 138!

lol

I've always found the middle section of Puppets to be the hardest.The rifforama if you will.

----------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------0-2-4-5--------------------------------------
---------0-2-3------------3---------3-3-3-2-3-5-3-2------
-0-2-3---------------------------------------------------3-2-
Quote by Black Ox
I've always found the middle section of Puppets to be the hardest.The rifforama if you will.

This. I still haven't learnt that part on guitar.
Quote by Black Ox

I play that in a easier way(to me) with the same notes, I don't know (and don't like) tabs but try this:

E string- open, 2nd fret, 3rd fret
A string- open, 2nd fret, 3rd fret
D string-open, 2nd fret, 3rd fret
G string-open
A string- 3rd fret
A string- 3rd fret 3x, 2nd fret, 3rd fret
D string- open
A string-3rd fret, 2nd fret
E string-3rd fret, 2nd fret, open 3x(repeat)

If you can get anything from that, lol, practice and play around with it, you'll see it's alot easier (again, IMO) than that hand cramp everyone usually does.
I play that in a easier way(to me) with the same notes, I don't know (and don't like) tabs but try this:

E string- open, 2nd fret, 3rd fret
A string- open, 2nd fret, 3rd fret
D string-open, 2nd fret, 3rd fret
G string-open
A string- 3rd fret
A string- 3rd fret 3x, 2nd fret, 3rd fret
D string- open
A string-3rd fret, 2nd fret
E string-3rd fret, 2nd fret, open 3x(repeat)

If you can get anything from that, lol, practice and play around with it, you'll see it's alot easier (again, IMO) than that hand cramp everyone usually does.

Awesome! i still didnt learn that part.. i did learn this right now XD
ugh, I hate listening to those bass tracks, Cliff sounds so dirty and off sometimes.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
I always play the intro

E--0-0-7-0-0-8-0-0-9-0-0-8-0-0-7-7-0-0-7-0-0-8-0-0-9-0-0-8-0-0-7

Just 'cuz i'm lazy like that :p

And I haven't been able to get that middle part down either
Last edited by blubolt09 at Jun 27, 2009,
If its really p***ing you off leave it for a while, i tried abut a month ago and just couldn't get it. Came back a month later and just played it. A break works wonders. Other than that practice it slowly and build it up speed wise.

Good luck mate
Quote by reidy8
If its really p***ing you off leave it for a while, i tried abut a month ago and just couldn't get it. Came back a month later and just played it. A break works wonders. Other than that practice it slowly and build it up speed wise.

Good luck mate

I wouldn't call this a solution to everything, but I often find that when I can't get something, taking a break and coming back after a few hours will renew everything and get me closer, or let me nail it. This was especially evident in 7th grade when Need for Speed: Underground ruled my life...
Quote by MustangMan311
This was especially evident in 7th grade when Need for Speed: Underground ruled my life...

true for DDR as well

sometimes a riff is simply beyond your level of technique, and while trying to learn the riff can help your technique, it might not be as efficient as improving your skill and then applying it to the riff later
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Quote by Black Ox

This, its the only part i mess up sometimes, although i just tried it and its easy as **** now...

Sweet.
Quote by learnerlegend
my dog's barks are more interesting than their 4/4 hits

^ Regarding AC/DC
Thanks for the help guys.
I cant realy take a break i play bass for more than 5 hours a day .... actually way more.
but i am getting the hang of it a bit slowly i guess ill just practice that and then increase the speed slowly untill its normal. i should be able to do it.
Quote by watchingmefall
Oh shut up, Cliff was a mediocre bassist at best nothing to write home about, how about you listen to some Atheist? You know what? He died even younger and he was a complete master of the instrument.

Listen to the real tracks, Cliff didn't play the part you have tabbed.
Roger Patterson is sick, props for good taste.

As for Starscr3am, like everyone else the advice I have to give is just keep practicing. However, for your right hand make sure you alternate, because the pattern is sorta weird, but I think of it as just two repeating groups of fingerings, which would be

A |----2------3
E |0-1----0-1---
   1 2 1  2 1 2

As opposed to 1 2 1 1 2 1 1 2, which is what I used to do.

Below the tab = the two fingers under the assumption you use two, 1 = index and 2 = ring finger.
Last edited by Steve08 at Jun 28, 2009,
Page 1 of 2