I am going to buy a crate flexwave 120h head to go along with my blackstar ht cab. Will it work. I'm new to stacks and don't really know anything about them. Should I buy the blackstar head because it is a tube amp but the downside Is that it is only 5w where the crate amp is 120watts. I don't know if that means anthying because the cabinent is 40 watts so why does it matter Howe many watts the head is. I will be using this amp for jamming with my friends home practice and possibly small gigs. I need to overpower a drumset. I don't know which amp Head I should get. Tube is always better but I have heard bad reviews on the blackstar and have been told that it is not loud enough.
120w head into a 40w cab. And how are you going to keep the speaker cones attached to the speakers? Rule of cabs. ALWAYS have higher rated cab than amp and preferably more than double.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Up to you. You dont want 5w but probably dont need 100w. But your cab needs to be rated higher than the amp. Also ohms is critical. A 4 ohm cab with a 8 or 16 ohm amp will result in a fried amp. Going higher in ohms w SS will cut your volume. And with tube amps it would depend on the output jack options. My epi vjr works w 4, 8, and 16 ohm cabs.
More wattage isn't always more quality. 5W with a good cab can let you play small gigs. Larger gigs should have a PA system, so you can just hook up to that and have 5000 watts of power.
So is 5w loud enough to overpower a drumset clearley. I just want a louder amp with a good tone.

Should I buy a stack or a combo amp
id go combo, less troubles with ohms and stuff, also you dont need a stack as if you go to a jam session at a bar they will most likely kick you out becuase you dont need a stack
unless of course it is a 5w stack
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Quote by rocknroll93
id go combo, less troubles with ohms and stuff, also you dont need a stack as if you go to a jam session at a bar they will most likely kick you out becuase you dont need a stack

Huh? I've never heard of a bar kicking a band out because they have a half stack. Hell, I've seen local bands play bars with JCM800 half stacks. Completely unnecessary, but they definitely didn't get kicked out.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by rocknroll93

I'm really not quite sure what you're trying to pull with that post.

Most amps have speaker inputs for 4, 8, and 16, I don't see how that's trouble. It gives you more cabinet wood options and speaker options without having to mod anything. The next one I'm not gonna even attempt to explain that .

Are you inferring that stacks are all louder than combos?

Unless of course it is a 5w stack?

I wish people wouldn't divide amps into the two categories of combos and stacks. It bugs me to no END when people refer to their amp as their stack. It makes me think that the person thinks their amp is better because it's a stack.
There is really NO DIFFERENCE between a stack and a combo except for the fact that the stack is in two pieces and the combo is in one.

It'd be much easier if people just referred to the amps by their actual name and model. At most, divide them between tube amps and solid states... just not by stack and combo!

/rant
no.

and a Crap amp + Decent mini Cab = super crap tone and explosions will occur.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
will a amp then can be switched between 4 8 and 16 ohms work/sound better with a 8 ohm speaker or 16 ohm?