hey everybody

i just swapped my middle and bridge strat pickups around. so now i get a neck+bridge tone in the 5 way.

has anyone else done this?

it sounds really nice

is this what a tele or jaguar sounds like?

it keeps reminding me of the jazz bass sound.
Moving the bridge pickup doesn´t give you a bridge tone in the middle... Most of the bridge tone comes from the vicinity to the bridge.
if your bridge pup is real high treble and you like it better in the middle.

and the middle pup doesnt sound as harsh in the bridge spot, then yay.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
It doesn't work that way, you're still getting middle and neck, there's not going to be that much difference between the two pickups themselves, the difference in sound is due to the position itself, not the pickup.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jun 27, 2009,
As the middle pickup is strats is usually reverse wound/reverse polarity you have now eliminated the humbucking position with middle and neck pickups. It will only work with bridge middle now.
no i mean that i swapped the bridge and middle pickups around, not rewireing them. So I get -

1. Neck
2. Neck and bridge
3. bridge
4. bridge and middle
5. middle

i didnt rewire the pickups, just unscrewed the middle and bridge and swapped them.

my pickups are not reverse wound btw. all the pickups are actually the same (classic player 69's).
basically whatever pickup is in the bridge position will sound like a bridge pickup. even if you didn't rewire it. it's more where the pickup is actually located than which pickup it is.

there's really no un-confusing way to explain what i mean

but really all you've really done (i think) is change what your 5 way switch does. kind of cool though
yes! lifesabullet16 is right.

I would love to have swapped the neck and middle, but the wires wouldn't reach.

i like to experiment with the different combinations because I want to get a push pull pot then get some crazy wirings.
lol sounds cool man. Try whatever won't **** up your guitar and tell us what happens.
Quote by stratocasterram
no i mean that i swapped the bridge and middle pickups around, not rewireing them. So I get -

1. Neck
2. Neck and bridge
3. bridge
4. bridge and middle
5. middle

i didnt rewire the pickups, just unscrewed the middle and bridge and swapped them.

my pickups are not reverse wound btw. all the pickups are actually the same (classic player 69's).

........huh? What was even the point? All you did was make your toggle switch more confusing.
Not really, what you have is just the bridge model pickup in the middle position. It's still not bridge + neck.

A "bridge" pickup in the middle position is going to sound like a "middle" pickup. Which is why when you put the selector on the middle position, it still sounds like a middle pickup, not a bridge pickup even though you have a "bridge" pickup in there. There are slight differences between the winding of a bridge vs. middle but the tone of the pickup primarily comes from where it is located.

If you really want to hear what a neck + bridge sounds like, then you have to rewire it.
Last edited by al112987 at Jun 29, 2009,
^

Exactly.

So in essence, you haven't done anything at all.

Not trying to dishearten you mate, just stating the truth; you should rewire your pickup selector (pretty dam easy) if you want a true neck+bridge tone or whatever.
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student
Last edited by Ratfish at Jun 29, 2009,
Quote by stratocasterram
no, i get a neck + bridge position.

unfortunately that's not how it works.
Quote by al112987
Not really, what you have is just the bridge model pickup in the middle position. It's still not bridge + neck.

A "bridge" pickup in the middle position is going to sound like a "middle" pickup. Which is why when you put the selector on the middle position, it still sounds like a middle pickup, not a bridge pickup even though you have a "bridge" pickup in there. There are slight differences between the winding of a bridge vs. middle but the tone of the pickup primarily comes from where it is located.

If you really want to hear what a neck + bridge sounds like, then you have to rewire it.

He didn't rewired anything. He just physically switched the middle and bridge pickups, nothing else. The 5-way is still the same. So when he chooses the middle position on the selector, it's using the middle pickup, which is in the bridge. So he is actually getting the neck and bridge combo. His middle pickup is in the bridge and his bridge pickup is in the middle. The electronics are exactly the same as it was before. Using the neck and middle position is actually the neck and bridge because his middle pickup is in the bridge.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Jun 29, 2009,
Quote by JELIFISH19
He didn't rewired anything. He just physically switched the middle and bridge pickups, nothing else. The 5-way is still the same. So when he chooses the middle position on the selector, it's using the middle pickup, which is in the bridge. So he is actually getting the neck and bridge combo.

ah **** how the **** did i miss that one
As far as difference in sound goes, it depends on how your pickups are wired and voiced. There may not be a huge difference, but if you have a set like some Texas Specials, the bridge is wound a LOT hotter, around 8.5k, whereas the mid and neck will both be around 5.5k, which will mean a fairly noticeable difference in tone and power.