Poll Options
View poll results: Crate flexwave 65 vs 120 combo
Crate flexwave 65
4 31%
Crate flexwave 120
9 69%
Voters: 13.
Page 1 of 2
I went to the store and I tested the crate flexwave 65 watt combo amp. I really liked it so I want to buy it. It has a good tone so don't tell me that I shouldn't get it because it is exzactly what I wanted. Ok the question is should I spend the extra $100 to buy the 120 watt amp. I'm getting my amp twice as loud for only $100 more. I heard that the 120 has a better tone. The flexwave 120 is $400 but I can get it used for $350
---------------------------------
I decided I am getting a 100 watt raven rg100. Thankyou for all of the help.
Last edited by Deanguitarist39 at Jun 27, 2009,
120 wins, but you should get rid of the vs in the title before some UG nerd reports you for having it in the title.

just so you know, vs threads aren't allowed. =)
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
it doesnt work like that, 120 watts isnt twice as loud as 65 watts. it will sound slightly louder but thats it, its more about the speakers etc. Get the 65 watt, you will need to mic your amps anyways to get a decent sound at gigs. But try investing in a tube amp, for that price you could get a laney VC15 which would give you a far better tone and more volume.
stop recommending him amps, he said it's perfect. just wait and draw him to the dark side of tone - to valve amps!..muahaa.....muahahaa!

and $100 to make the good tone part of a solid state amp is probably worth it, because they sound bad at higher volumes, so your sort of delaying the crappy fizzy sound by having a higher wattage on your amp.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
^ thanks I can Barley afford the amp I'm getting. I'm 13 and I've been saving up forever and I got a small job at a parking lot. A tube amp is not an option right now. But it will be in 8 years!
Quote by Deanguitarist39
^ thanks I can Barley afford the amp I'm getting. I'm 13 and I've been saving up forever and I got a small job at a parking lot. A tube amp is not an option right now. But it will be in 8 years!

dude.
im 14 and ive been saving up for the gear that i want for 5 month and right now have $500.

my parents gives me lunch money ($5) every day and i just save it and just bring something to eat from home or i just dont eat lunch.

do that an you will have about a $100 in a month or just get a part time like me

dont settle for a crap amp brah.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Well I need an amp that will overpower a drummer. This seems like the right amp but for jamming with my friends should I get the 65 watt. I had not played any big shows. I've heard 65 watts is loud enough for a medium sized gig but the extra 60 watts could be really helpful in the future. I could have this amp for a long time and not have to buy a new amp. I got in a bogged band one day I could just use this but I would probally get a tube amp. For $100 bucks more I don't know if it is worth it.
Quote by Deanguitarist39
Well I need an amp that will overpower a drummer. This seems like the right amp but for jamming with my friends should I get the 65 watt. I had not played any big shows. I've heard 65 watts is loud enough for a medium sized gig but the extra 60 watts could be really helpful in the future. I could have this amp for a long time and not have to buy a new amp. I got in a bogged band one day I could just use this but I would probally get a tube amp. For $100 bucks more I don't know if it is worth it.

but the flex wave is crap and if you crank it it will sound crappier.

what is your full budget?
can you go used?
what genres do you play?
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
dude.
im 14 and ive been saving up for the gear that i want for 5 month and right now have $500.

my parents gives me lunch money ($5) every day and i just save it and just bring something to eat from home or i just dont eat lunch.

do that an you will have about a $100 in a month or just get a part time like me

dont settle for a crap amp brah.

We have lunch cards but I used to to that. I went away to a hockey camp and my dad gave me $100 to spend on food and stuff. I kept it and told him I spent it all and next time I need more money
Dude, there are plenty of tube amps with enough volume to get way past a drummer for cheap, I'm telling you.

You just have to answer...

Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
but the flex wave is crap and if you crank it it will sound crappier.

what is your full budget?
can you go used?
what genres do you play?

Those questions.

Along with your closest large city if you can go used. That way, we can look at the craiglist for your area.
My budget is nothing over $400
I can go used if they have it at guitar center or musicians friend
I play thrash metal and new wave of British heavy metal.
I probally won't crank the amp though cause I'll just be jamming with my friends. Ive decided I don't need the 120 watt just the 65. Can you reconend me at least a 45 watt tube amp. I was also looking at the cube 60.
B-52 AT 112
$350 NEW in Musicians friend.

Line 6 Flextone III
$300ish USED in Craigslist/ Ebay.
feel free to add me
Quote by Deanguitarist39
Thanks but doesn't lone 6 suck. That's what I've heard.

line 6 does not suck.
the Spider series suck, the Flextone/Vetta/Pod does not.
feel free to add me
More amp suggestions would be nice but I'm probaly gonna get the crate flextone 65 for $250 used. I don't even need 60 watts. 40 watts is plenty enough for a bar gig.
Quote by Deanguitarist39
More amp suggestions would be nice but I'm probaly gonna get the crate flextone 65 for $250 used. I don't even need 60 watts. 40 watts is plenty enough for a bar gig.

do you want the crowd in your gigs be happy??
then buy the B-52 or the Flextone or the Peavey XXX or the Ampeg VH140C or the Peavey Ultra.
feel free to add me
Quote by Deanguitarist39

So what was the point of making a thread where nobody agrees with you and you ignore all good advice?

If you like the flexwave, great, buy it. There are a lot better amps for that money that do what you play but if you are happy,

Good luck. But understand, crate SS amps have some of the worst reliability records. So if it's used, and it breaks, you will be starting this "amp quest" over. From $0.00.

Edit: Alf, aka WTF_isatab, is about your age, plays somewhat similar music, and was genuinely trying to help you. So were others. Shame they got ignored.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 27, 2009,
I got a smaller crate amp now and it seems reliable. What other amps are there for the money I will get an ampeg vh140c if I can find one. they don't sell them in the stores.
Quote by Deanguitarist39
I got a smaller crate amp now and it seems reliable. What other amps are there for the money I will get an ampeg vh140c if I can find one. they don't sell them in the stores.

they are discontinued in the 90's
look them up on Ebay or Craigslist.
feel free to add me
Quote by Deanguitarist39

Back to answering Alf's questions.

You are in Ohio. There are plenty of great used amps in Ohio. we don't want to know where you live, we ain't stalkin. But are you closer to Cincinatti? Toledo? Cleveland? Akron?

Example. http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=mus&itm=peavey&loc=OH&fil=vtm&ys=&ye=&submit=++++go++++
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 27, 2009,
Thanks I found a great amp for $200 used. It's a raven rg100 I got it at guitar center it's awesome. It's really great for the price. Thanks for all of the help. Have any of you ever seen this amp.
Quote by Deanguitarist39
Thanks I found a great amp for $200 used. It's a raven rg100 I got it at guitar center it's awesome. It's really great for the price. Thanks for all of the help. Have any of you ever seen this amp.

you ignored us
just to let you know that amp sucks.
you could just get the B-52........
feel free to add me
i love my GTD65. is the same EXACT thing as the flexwave. i got mine for $160 brand spnkin new at GC last summer (i guess they were clearing out the last of the GTDs for the flexwaves ). sounds amazing! but after about 7.5 on the high-gain channel it starts to clip. clipping at 9.5 on o/d channel, and no clipping at all on the clean at 10. it gets really good tone at all levels and can go from simple man to iron maiden on the overdrive channel and any type of metal on the high-gain channel. its really a super sweet amp at a decent price (but i got mine at a GREAT price ).
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
you ignored us
just to let you know that amp sucks.
you could just get the B-52........

Actually I looked at the b52 and it sounded good but for $200 the raven I got is right for me. I use pedal distortion not the distortion on it. I really like it. I live in Cleveland by the way. Everyone has there own amp opinions and I really like the raven. The clean channel is beautiful. I don't use the overdrive channel though. It really is a great amp for the price.

I also looked at the amps in the used section on guitar center.com by the way. Just to let you know I did not ignore your advice.
Quote by Deanguitarist39
Actually I looked at the b52 and it sounded good but for $200 the raven I got is right for me. I use pedal distortion not the distortion on it. I really like it. I live in Cleveland by the way. Everyone has there own amp opinions and I really like the raven. The clean channel is beautiful. I don't use the overdrive channel though. It really us a great amp for the price.

what pedal are you using there my boy ??

and Pedal distortion < Amp distortion
feel free to add me
Well I'm using a metal muff. I really like how it sounds I the clean channel. The amp distortion isn't bad but I can't do heavy metal with it. I use the amp distortion only for classic rock.
Quote by Deanguitarist39
Well I'm using a metal muff. I really like how it sounds I the clean channel. The amp distortion isn't bad but I can't do heavy metal with it. I use the amp distortion only for classic rock.

idk how you can turn the Raven's fizzy distortion in to a mid gain classic rock overdrive.
feel free to add me
If the 65 is what you want then the 65 is what you should get. The 120 isn't going to sound the same and the 120 won't be twice as loud. Doubling the wattage of an amp only increases the volume by 3 db. That means that a 200 watt amp is only 3db louder than a 100. A 120 is only 3db louder than a 60. A 60 is only 3db louder than a 30, and a 30 is only 3 db louder than a 15.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

idk how you can turn the Raven's fizzy distortion in to a mid gain classic rock overdrive.

It took me a while but you gotta roll the gain and treble down and increase the mids. It sounds alright but I don't really play classic rock that much so I'm fine with it.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

It took me a while but you gotta roll the gain and treble down and increase the mids. It sounds alright but I don't really play classic rock that much so I'm fine with it.

anyone want to make a bet to when he's gonna not like his metal muff + raven and gonna want new gear?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

Quote by Deanguitarist39

Troll alert.

why are you posting the exact same thing 3 times ??
feel free to add me
well, i think you should have gotten the b-52, or possible a bugera 333xl (not sure why nobody brought that one up)

well hey, my buddy has a marshall mg half stack, and loves it...but its weird, he always seems, idk, insecure, when i play out of my bandit 112
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Sorry about the posting somethings messed up. Oh and it really sounds good with the metal muff.
The first review in the b52 amp said it couldn't do metal good at all. I tried it out and of is true. Everyone has there own opinions and I like the raven. Try it out with a good distortion pedal or just use the beautiful cleans. You have to admit for $200 it's a great deal.
You shouldn't ask for advice next time if you don't want advice.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
meh, my marshall, without a distortion pedal, crushes the raven. i got it for 160
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Deanguitarist39
Sorry about the posting somethings messed up. Oh and it really sounds good with the metal muff.
The first review in the b52 amp said it couldn't do metal good at all. I tried it out and of is true. Everyone has there own opinions and I like the raven. Try it out with a good distortion pedal or just use the beautiful cleans. You have to admit for $200 it's a great deal.

The B52s are mainly used for high gain metal
Quote by juniorlbj
Gentlemen...

It's fap time!
Page 1 of 2