Hi guys,

Right now I'm trying to make a TB6 fit in my Ibanez RG from '95. Everything went well, until I realized that the six screws were too long. I have to either cut off a part of the screws, or buy some new ones. I have no idea what the dimensions of the screws are, so I think I have to cut 'em off.

DOES THIS AFFECT THE SOUND, OR CAN I PROCEED?

Thanks. Btw, I'm from Norway, so excuse my poor English
If they are screws and not poles, then you should be able to screw them lower.
Do you mean the two screws that hold the pickup in place? You should be able to screw them right through were you screw into the pickup, this is how you change the height of the pickup onec installed. Are teh screws making contact with the body of the guitar?

Edit: Totally didn't read the title... The six screws will change the volume of each string, so really you want to balance it out. If they are too long then they must have been unscrewed for some reason. Level them off with the pickup until you have it installed and then adjust them.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Last edited by bean-o at Jun 27, 2009,
azn_guitarist25: No, the six screws in the middle of the bridge coil is blocking it. They are too long.

bean-o: I'm not talking about the two screws to adjust the height of the pickup.

Vlasco: Screw them lower? That wouldn't help at all. Actually, that.. wait, just no. :p

If I cut of maybe 7mm of the six screws (yes, I AM talking about the six screws in the middle of one of the coils), would the output be lower, or wouldn't I notice a difference at all?

The screws (yes, the six screws.) are too long

I'm talking about the six screws above the PAF logo
I am so confused...

You mean the extra length on the back? I don´t think that affects tone all that much but I am not sure at all...
Yes!! Vlasco, I'm talking about the extra length of the screws. I'm thinking that the length of the screws maybe are affecting the power of the magnet, and affecting the output level if you know what I mean. I'll post a picture of my pickup and my guitar in 2 secs
azn: if I raised the screws... think about what would happen :P The screws wouldn't become any shorter, or what?

Fullversjon: http://sportsfiske.nu/foto/arkiv/34455/85955.jpg

Fullversjon: http://sportsfiske.nu/foto/arkiv/34455/85956.jpg

Levert av: http://sportsfiske.nu/foto/

Take a look at the first pic. As you can see, the "floor" isn't even, but there are two small holes at the sides (for the "ears" of the pickup, you know what I mean)

My problem is that the holes for the ears of the pickup are 7mm lower than the rest of the "floor". The difference between the "ears" (avtually I'm talking about the pieces where you put the two long screws in) and the 6 screws are just 2 mm or so. Which means that my pickup raises AT LEAST 5 mm higher that it should.

This leads to the fact that I can't use this guitar with strings atm, unless I want an action about 1cm. Which I don't.
I did not have this problem with my previous pickup, a DiMarzio ToneZone. This pickup is slightly thinner (1mm or so), but the main difference was that my ToneZone don't have those long screws through the pickup, they are shorter
1cm action is for real men.

I have no idea what it will do to your tone.
Quote by Vlasco
1cm action is for real men.

I have no idea what it will do to your tone.

Bitch, I have 2cm action. FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by Konnis
azn: if I raised the screws... think about what would happen :P The screws wouldn't become any shorter, or what?

well going by this picture

if you did raise the screws would the other end of the screw on the bottom of the pickup not raise as well allowing you to lower the pickup and therefore lower your action?

or am i too tired?
He would be able to lower his pickup, but then the screw would be sticking out the top and hitting his strings...

You need sleep!
I bought a TB6 to have higher output than my pussy ToneZone. I'm afraid that cutting the six screws would give me even lower output than the ToneZone.. :p

Or doesn't the six screws affect output level? Anyone?
Quote by Konnis
I bought a TB6 to have higher output than my pussy ToneZone. I'm afraid that cutting the six screws would give me even lower output than the ToneZone.. :p

Or doesn't the six screws affect output level? Anyone?

eh i would put it under the non noticeable effects. it's not like the guitar will self combust or stop working altogether.
My thoughts: long screws = more magnetism (over a larger area) = higher output level

or is this completely wrong?
deluxity: impossible. the ground plate of the pickup cavity = metal, and just beneath it are the tremolo springs
I couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread but the answer to the TS's question is Yes, the length of the poles does effect tone. Longer screws give you are darker tone while shorter screws give you a brighter tone. If the screws in your pickup are too long, you have to either cut the screws shorter or modify the pickup cavity of the guitar. If It were me, I'd get a drill and drill 1/8" deep holes where the screws are hitting the inside of the cavity. That will give you the clearance you need for the pickup to fit without altering the tone of your instrument.
Not taking any online orders.
That was also something I thought about, and maybe I'll try. Let's hope that it is more than 1cm wood between the pickup cavity and the spring cavity...
Quote by Konnis
Hi guys,

Right now I'm trying to make a TB6 fit in my Ibanez RG from '95. Everything went well, until I realized that the six screws were too long. I have to either cut off a part of the screws, or buy some new ones. I have no idea what the dimensions of the screws are, so I think I have to cut 'em off.

DOES THIS AFFECT THE SOUND, OR CAN I PROCEED?

Thanks. Btw, I'm from Norway, so excuse my poor English

The screws are used to control string volume, although they are rarely used as a means of control. For example, a common issue with players is that their guitar's B string is too loud, in which case they would screw down the B-string screw to lower the volume relative to the other strings. To be honest, it is an outdated fix to the problem, and in the age of compressors the only reason you have those screws is for aesthetics.

Cutting the screws will not effect the tone at all, and will not cause any issues (unless you would want to heighten the screw in the future lol), except perhaps the loss of manufacturer's warranty for the pickup. Certain companies even offer options for longer or shorter screws due to pickup cavity size, although this is usually a boutique option from expensive brands.

Quote by CorduroyEW
I couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread but the answer to the TS's question is Yes, the length of the poles does effect tone. Longer screws give you are darker tone while shorter screws give you a brighter tone. If the screws in your pickup are too long, you have to either cut the screws shorter or modify the pickup cavity of the guitar. If It were me, I'd get a drill and drill 1/8" deep holes where the screws are hitting the inside of the cavity. That will give you the clearance you need for the pickup to fit without altering the tone of your instrument.

Really? I would go with this guy's advice, as he builds pickups. It make's sense, although drilling holes in your guitar is a surefire way to kill resale value.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Last edited by kranoscorp at Jun 27, 2009,
^ I agree with bits of what you said but most of it was wrong. Screws sound different than slugs. Long screws sound different than short ones, and a compression pedal and EQ does not make up for string balance. As a person that makes pickups for a living I have tested this many many times.
But I dont like the idea of drilling in my guitar... so I think I'll cut off 5mm of the screws or so. Can't be such huge difference?
I'm going to side with CorduroyEW here, a compressor is not the answer for achieving string balance. Not to mention, not everyone wants to use a compressor, I personally have never really liked that they do and almost always opt to spend some time dialing in a pickup with height and polepiece adjustment.
Quote by Konnis
But I dont like the idea of drilling in my guitar... so I think I'll cut off 5mm of the screws or so. Can't be such huge difference?

It's not a huge difference but it is noticable. If you do want shorter screws I'd suggest buying aftermarket screws and cutting them so that if you decide you don't like the tone of the short screws you can still have the original screws to put back in.

The screws at mojotone are a good option and they sell them in imperial and metric sizes.
Damn, a new problem. I actually decided to drill in my guitar when I remembered that the "plate" which is the floor in the pickup cavity, actually is metal. So, if I drill holes for the long screws, the screws in the pickup would touch the metal sheet. Wouldn't this affect the pickup even more than cutting the screws?

And if I drilled holes, some would probably be better than the others, which again leads to the fact that some screws would be touching the metal plate and some wouldn't

Edit: and my main issue with the ToneZone is tons of feedback. Don't tell me that this metal sheet could be the reason why I got so huge amounts of uncontrollable, variable pitched feedback?
Last edited by Konnis at Jun 28, 2009,
Just saw off the extra bit on your pickup with a steelsaw or something. Drilling would be the last thing I recommend.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by CorduroyEW
^ I agree with bits of what you said but most of it was wrong. Screws sound different than slugs. Long screws sound different than short ones, and a compression pedal and EQ does not make up for string balance. As a person that makes pickups for a living I have tested this many many times.

I respect that you are very experianced with pickups, and I really do not mean for this next comment to sound snarky, but if a compresser will not effect string balance, how does this work.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Quote by Konnis
Damn, a new problem. I actually decided to drill in my guitar when I remembered that the "plate" which is the floor in the pickup cavity, actually is metal. So, if I drill holes for the long screws, the screws in the pickup would touch the metal sheet. Wouldn't this affect the pickup even more than cutting the screws?

And if I drilled holes, some would probably be better than the others, which again leads to the fact that some screws would be touching the metal plate and some wouldn't

Edit: and my main issue with the ToneZone is tons of feedback. Don't tell me that this metal sheet could be the reason why I got so huge amounts of uncontrollable, variable pitched feedback?

Drill holes big enough so it doesn't touch the metal?
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by kranoscorp
I respect that you are very experianced with pickups, and I really do not mean for this next comment to sound snarky, but if a compresser will not effect string balance, how does this work.

That is a Noise Gate, not a compressor. A compressor levels out volume levels of diff frequencies while a noise gate just cuts the signal when all thats coming through is below a certain dB level. a good Noisegate wont change your pickups sound.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Quote by kranoscorp

Never used the pedal but from reading the description it looks like a limiter. Things like this might help make everything the same volume but balance and equal volume are not the same thing.
Quote by Konnis

You are correct to think that screws touching it will alter tone. They will also make feedback a bigger problem.
Quote by racman92
That is a Noise Gate, not a compressor. A compressor levels out volume levels of diff frequencies while a noise gate just cuts the signal when all thats coming through is below a certain dB level. a good Noisegate wont change your pickups sound.

Quote by CorduroyEW
Never used the pedal but from reading the description it looks like a limiter. Things like this might help make everything the same volume but balance and equal volume are not the same thing.

But if it is a noise gate how does it differentiate between the strings?
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Got an answer from a guy at SD right now.

"Hi!
You can go ahead and cut them to size.

Best Regards,

-Alex"

Didn't seem very convincing, but... I think I'll cut them, and if I find out I didn't like it, I'll throw in some EMG's.
Quote by kranoscorp
But if it is a noise gate how does it differentiate between the strings?

It doesn't.