Hey.
Until reccently I played guitar right handed (I'm a leftie) and my fretting was really good but my picking wasn't particularly fast.

Reccently I re-strung my practise guitar so I could try to play left handed. My picking is very fast but my fretting feels sloppy, weak and slow.

So I've reached I dilema and need to know which hand develops fastest, picking or fretting, if the picking hand develops fastest I will play right handed but if the fretting hand develops fastest I'll play left handed instead.

So, which develops fastest?
Neither develops faster than the other. Your problem is almost definitely one of co-ordination.
Quote by Wretched_Spawn
^Is practising the way to fix it?
Also, I'm taking lessons soon so that'll pobbably help
Practice and advice from a good teacher are probably the answer to half the questions on this forum

Just don't go crazy like that 10 hours a day guy. Who BTW hasn't put up any vids onto youtube for ages..........
Like Nietsche said, they develop together...both hands are a team and neither develops faster than the other. It's like asking which leg develops faster when you're learning to walk.

And practice fixes everything on guitar
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Wretched_Spawn
Hey.
Until reccently I played guitar right handed (I'm a leftie) and my fretting was really good but my picking wasn't particularly fast.

Reccently I re-strung my practise guitar so I could try to play left handed. My picking is very fast but my fretting feels sloppy, weak and slow.

So I've reached I dilema and need to know which hand develops fastest, picking or fretting, if the picking hand develops fastest I will play right handed but if the fretting hand develops fastest I'll play left handed instead.

So, which develops fastest?

I completely understand your fustrations trying to figure out what works best for you. I am a lefty too and have found that my left hand is better at picking/strumming and my right hand lacks a lot of coordination it needs to fret.

In any case, you need to use a metronome to develop left/right hand coordination. I never used to use one, but I'm glad I do as it makes everything so much easier. Also, if you are stuck with a right handed guitar (I am too), you might just want to flip the guitar as if it was a left handed guitar and try to do a 1-2-3-4 run along the strings/neck...again with a metronome.

Like everyone else will tell you here, practice and good luck!
Im a lefty playing right handed, playing for almost 2 years and its been fine, i find my fretting is much easier with my better hand, and after a while of practice my picking was up to speed too. my advice is to stay playing right handed, changing means starting all over again
for me, i played righty for 9 years and my picking hand was always soo slow. I did fingerstyle and picking. Then I decided to learn how to pick fast. I went from my potential picking speed of less than 120 to over 200, but my coordination was so bad that i still couldn't play over 130.

Then I switched to lefty and everything was different. My coordination is perfect and I'm just building speed by working on each hand individually. My picking was immediately quicker and more accurate and i could skip strings and I don't have to touch the bridge at all, and coordination, which was the most frustrating part of playing righty, is gone.

Of course you still need to practice, and your right hand will develop fretting slower than your left hand would, but I think you should go lefty because it makes coordination and picking so much easier. Coordination and picking are harder to develop than fretting, so pick with your left hand if you're lefty.
Last edited by eddievanzant at Jun 27, 2009,
The one you use for fapping.

Coordination is the key though.
I find that my right hand is less developed than my fretting hand.
I guess it's cause most stuff we do is focused on the fretting hand.
The right hand is pretty much doomed to be less developed.

I don't feel like writing much on this subject especialy since the above posters seem to have written some good stuff.

But:
Q: Which hand develops faster.
A: The fretting hand

IMO atleast.

This might be different for those that only fingerpick all the time (?)
I think if your left handed, you should play it left handed. I know a lot of lefties try to learn right handed because of the more expensive gear, but if I were you I would just play whichever way felt more natural.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^