Page 1 of 6
It's always kind of progressed further, there was blues then rock n roll then Hendrix did all that crazy stuff, then there was hard rock and black sabbath started metal, and page used a violin bow and Van Halen came and everything about him was new, then Malmsteen and Rhoads were shredding crazy speed and Metallica came and then it got heavier and there was Slayer and Pantera and it now metronomes won't go any faster and you just can't get any 'heavier,' can you? Shred is so fast now no-one will even notice if it goes up a few bpm, distortion can't get any more distorted, you can't bang your head 300bpm. Will we just end up going back to hard rock and doing some variations on the theme rather than something completely new? Are there any new hard rock/metal genres coming up now, not including millions of subgenres of metal that just sound cool but they've gone a bit over the top with categorising them. Any ideas? There's gotta be some sort of rock, otherwise we're just gonna get stuck with all the computerised dance stuff. No other genres ever seem to run out of steam, jazz and classical and opera have been going for years, but there's really no room for metal and rock to group upwards , more just going 'sideways.' where do you think it's headed?
It's headed towards more sub-genres of DragonForce, Jonas Brothers and Hannah Montana shizz.
Quote by dan ramP
RSOB and Gavs must have a great relationship to be able to sleep around so much
Quote by RSOB Bass
Yeah, it's pretty flexible. Like gavz.

Likes to play thread games, also!

*[/dead]*
Last edited by gavz_verdikt at Jun 27, 2009,
Jazz metal...?

I think it'd be pretty awesome.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Hopefully we do go backwards.
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
Little King Hunter is the next big thing in music period :P

On a serious note, music will always be surprising a sto who comes out with the next awesome riff, rhythm change, etc. I can't wait to see where it goes.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
It's going to have to head out of metal and rock. Humans are limited to what they can do physically. It will have to go electronic.

You're probably right about the electronic thing.

But listen to Nasum... they are some god awful <metal-subgenre>core band that sounds like simply noise. That's about unmusical I have heard.

It's simply awful.
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
each instrument can't get any heavier, but there is no limits for bands as a whole
there could be a band with 10 guitarrist shredding at the same time for example
well in the last few decades the heaviest stuff has be coming from norway and that scandinavian area so if it does get faster and heavier look there. God only knows whats going on in the norweigian underground lol.
Quote by Keth
Jazz metal already exists.

Figured, never heard any though!
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
The problem with all of these "extremities" in rock/metal are that they are shallow and obtuse. These musicians need to get acquainted with the fine art of subtlety again. As they say...less is more.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Ask Mike Patton. Ive always found his ideas to be ahead of time, wonder what kinda sideproject he cooking up now along with Mondo Cane thing hes doing.
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
You missed out on stoner/desert rock, generator parties will one day kick off bigtime, it just has to. Thanks to bands like Kyuss getting more popular due to the internet, jams where there's no stage, no theatrics, just the band right next to a small crowd playing all night will become bigger and bigger I hope. Here's a sweeeeeet example below, shame Garcia isn't singing at his best in that vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWxt0r-Cq7U&fmt=18
I think things are going to take more of an ambient or free jazz direction personally. Lot's of synths and vocoded voice and shizz.

or something tottaly unexpected like krautrock will happen.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
its not the tuning that makes songs heavy, its the riffs man.. Most of sabbaths stuff is in e440 and it sounds heavier than any of those garbage metal bands ever will
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Maybe listeners will be forced to retune their ears to what they consider music. For example a band might put two guitar players playing at a different point on the circle of fifths and starting from a different note that what might be considered a start point.
Native Pride

Better to reign in hell

Member of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join, luthier's only
Member of The Future Embrace, UG's Billy Corgan/Smashing Pumpkins fan club. PM musiclover2399 to join .
electronic instruments will need to get used more. You can get so many more textures because you don't need to rely on a huge band, you can technically only be limited by how much your computer can take which is usually a hell of a lot.

I dont see the point of 'heavyness' so to speak anyway. Good music is good music and people will or should continue to play whatever they feel like and making whatever sounds good to them.
yeah, as far as I can see, Jazz-fusion is the direction to go. Incubus does a bit of it, its pretty cool. Listen to "battlestar-scratchlastica" (sp?) its a bit hip-hop influenced, but I hear more jazz in it every time I listen. Oh, and the acoustic/jazz version of "A Certain Shade of Green". and of course the original version of " A Certain Shade of Green" shows how a song can have some jazz style but still be "heavy"; listen to the bass.
Quote by opticon
Maybe listeners will be forced to retune their ears to what they consider music. For example a band might put two guitar players playing at a different point on the circle of fifths and starting from a different note that what might be considered a start point.

You've never heard of john cage have you?
Quote by opticon

That's bitonality/polytonality. All things poly have already been surveyed. We still haven't "retuned" our ears to accept them at large though. In fact, I think it might be inherent for us to listen to music a certain way.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
more extreme? Stallagh records mental patients screaming, moaning and mutilating themselves.
Silencers vocalist Nattram cut his arms and hands up whilst screaming the vocals
Mayhem...everything about them
so we've covered that the musicians can't be more extreme

blast beats at 300bpm, indecipherable vocals, guitars playing 16ths at 300bpm...brain drill have proved that more extreme death metal sounds ****.

but, perhaps it will become more extreme in terms of musicianship, we might have a band of people able to play 50nps on their instruments with any technique...

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by siskoX
each instrument can't get any heavier, but there is no limits for bands as a whole
there could be a band with 10 guitarrist shredding at the same time for example

i would not like to have to record that, way to much ego clashing lol.
i wounder how they managed to record hearing aid, that stars thing with like every famous metal person did somthing, its awesome none the less tho

but for the music of the future im not looking forward to it, at least the mainstream crap. cause look at the main stream crap now, it sucks. even the main stream metal(**** lamb of god) but Children of Bodom is amazing and even their stuff changed a **** load from somthing wild, now its alot more idk....not as good. i dont like stuff thats heavy just for the sake of being heavy... we need more bands like Death in this world
Divine creations now destroyed to uncover the haunted atmosphere
Strange visions of the ancient spirits, travesty of man appears
Coldness and the storming winds lurking for prey
The forces of the Winter reign in dreadful way, there's no escape
Quote by floppypick
Jazz metal...?

Head to the metal forum. Otherwise, check out Atheist.
Quote by GiantRaven
Why do things need to be more 'extreme'?

ever watch metalocalypse? they have to make everything brutal
Divine creations now destroyed to uncover the haunted atmosphere
Strange visions of the ancient spirits, travesty of man appears
Coldness and the storming winds lurking for prey
The forces of the Winter reign in dreadful way, there's no escape
Quote by floppypick
Jazz metal...?

Cynic, Atheist etc.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Theres stuff like Micheal Angelo Batio and Rusty Cooley but imo as speed goes up feeling goes way down listen to some Gary Moore or Jeff Beck and feel what one note can do. Hopefully it will come full circle and demand will dictate a return to good rock or metal with feeling.

to the above comments jazz-metal "Fusion" was done in the 70s by Al DiMeola, Chick Corea and others and Im a huge fan of it. Listen to Al DiMeola's Flight Over Rio---good **** there. But theres no reason you cant do it and expand on it as well with modern hi-gain amps
Last edited by CustomCustom at Jun 27, 2009,
Metal will be overrun by metalcore. its simply the sad truth.
Save metal, kill an emo.
How about a high five?

My Gear
Ibanez RG320
Schecter Demon 7
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III 30
Bugera 6262/Peavey 412 cabinet
As far as metal goes...

It's time to cease this figurative ''arms race'' to sonic supremacy and get back to actually writing music.

The key now... for thrash/speed metal bands now, should be to delve into subgenres of music they never normally look into. Check out weird ideas, strange time signatures, unorthodox chords. Look into more progressive bands like Death, Cynic, Aethiest, Destruction, Coroner.

Getting back into singing and melody is an idea... but by being more melodic, i don't mean ''DURRRRRP MELODIK HARMONIES!!!111''
Last edited by Rising at Jun 27, 2009,
Quote by VileGangrene
Metal will be overrun by metalcore. its simply the sad truth.
Save metal, kill an emo.

No it won't, you talk as if Metal is dying.
Not noticed the mass of new metal bands coming out in Britain, Europe and America?

Metalcore won't be around for many years to come. It's having its glory years now and won't get any bigger - also its very grow-out-of-able.

Long live Metal!
_________ __________________ _________

Quote by robertito696
I mounted a dildo onto one of my combat boots, now I can show him how much I love him instead of just saying it.

Quote by SteveHouse
EVERYBODY PANIC
Quote by Saf1
You missed out on stoner/desert rock, generator parties will one day kick off bigtime, it just has to. Thanks to bands like Kyuss getting more popular due to the internet, jams where there's no stage, no theatrics, just the band right next to a small crowd playing all night will become bigger and bigger I hope. Here's a sweeeeeet example below, shame Garcia isn't singing at his best in that vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWxt0r-Cq7U&fmt=18

I you !

I just discovered a band i like
Quote by blynd_snyper
yes we all need answers to xboys questions hurry up goddam it

Quote by Kankuro
Damn you X-Boy!!!

Founder And Member Of The " I Don't Masturbate Club "

TURNED 18 TODAY !!! (22/02)
Quote by TrabenBassist22
well in the last few decades the heaviest stuff has be coming from norway and that scandinavian area so if it does get faster and heavier look there. God only knows whats going on in the norweigian underground lol.

nothing really goes on there anymore. that was in the early/mid 90's.
Last.fm

"Music is a language of emotion. It informs our words with FEELING, and doesn't need to be learned.. It's visceral and innate" - Jason Silva
Quote by learnerlegend
No it won't, you talk as if Metal is dying.
Not noticed the mass of new metal bands coming out in Britain, Europe and America?

Metalcore won't be around for many years to come. It's having its glory years now and won't get any bigger - also its very grow-out-of-able.

Long live Metal!

Yeah, I don't know what that kid's talking about. Metalcore is making it's exit, death metal is re-entering the arena. Things are about to get big. Really big.