My band needs to start recording, and my budget is $150 US dollars. I know my budget is low but I need something that will give me HIGH quality recordings, and it has to work with multiple instruments. If it matters we play Hard Rock and Thrash Metal.
My Gear
Jackson Pro Series DK2M
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX AD50VTXL Valvetronix Amp
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell

Originally Posted By iron_maiden93

He wants to rape us....He raped me

Damn, really... hmmm well Im out
My Gear
Jackson Pro Series DK2M
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell

Just go to a damn studio!

Home recording can be cheaper in the long run, but you'll need to spend at least $500 before you're getting anything even approaching the quality of the cheapest studios. Plus, at least one of you has to have the patience to sit down and spend months studying, and practicing mixing, engineering and production, or everything you record will sound sh!te.
Last edited by kyle62 at Jun 27, 2009,
Quote by Meatball200
Line6 toneport + ezdrummer or addictive

Also, riffs&recording forum.

"Riffs & Recordings"

I wasn't going to ask them since this does seem like the more correct forum and by "Recordings" doesn't that mean that I should already have a recording. Plus no one ever goes in there.
My Gear
Jackson Pro Series DK2M
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell

There's some very good threads sticked with information at the top though, nothing's been said here and will be that hasn't been said before.
Last edited by Meatball200 at Jun 27, 2009,
My band has gotten decent results out of this set up:

We run 4 cheap mics into a Behringer PA/Keyboard amp, which we run out into a Macbook with Garageband for the drums. We then did the same thing for everything else except we only used 1 mic.

I would post samples, but we still have to add the vocals since we did this last week and our singer was feeling stuffed up, so we still have old, crappy quality recordings on our myspace.

Make do with what you have. We didn't buy anything we didn't already have for our recordings.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-MultiMix-8USB-Mixer-with-USB-and-DSP?sku=630166#new

The only thing you can't do is record drums at the same time as both guitars, bass, and vocals.

You are going to need microphones though. I reccomend you make each band member buy their own mic.

Guitar:
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sennheiser-E609-Silver-Dynamic-Guitar-Microphone?sku=276668#new

Bass:
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-SM57-InstrumentVocal-Mic?sku=270102#new

Vocals:
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-SM58-Mic?sku=270101#new

I don't know what to do for drums. You are going to need to put extra money in for your mic, unless you already have one.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by tmfiore at Jun 27, 2009,
I used guitar rig software. I plugged my guitar straight into my computer with that. I used Sony acid pro to record. Guitar rig gives you all of the amps and effects
Quote by Deanguitarist39
I used guitar rig software. I plugged my guitar straight into my computer with that. I used Sony acid pro to record. Guitar rig gives you all of the amps and effects

He said "record his band" not his guitar.
ok so with 150$ you can't get anything that will give you decent recording quality

your best bet would be a handheld recorder and record your whole band together, and a decent one will be around 200$
if you want to go record by tracks, you'll need to get a decent microphone and a decent interface. the interface by itself will be quite expensive unless you can use a computer, and even then, you're going to need something that works with a usb plug.
decent cheap micrphones would be the shure PG series, but they suck balls. they're decent for what they're worth, but that's it.
Quote by Darkflame
ok so with 150$ you can't get anything that will give you decent recording quality

your best bet would be a handheld recorder and record your whole band together, and a decent one will be around 200$
if you want to go record by tracks, you'll need to get a decent microphone and a decent interface. the interface by itself will be quite expensive unless you can use a computer, and even then, you're going to need something that works with a usb plug.
decent cheap micrphones would be the shure PG series, but they suck balls. they're decent for what they're worth, but that's it.

Darkflame brought up a good point. I have a Zoom H4 that makes really good recordings with it's built in condenser mics and inputs for two more. It's under $300. Probably the best you'll do without spending substantially more if you want to own your own stuff.