Hi. I just got a guitar with a whammy bar. I don't know what to do with it or how to use it. How far must you screw it in? I've seen people on youtube that can nearly bend their whammy bars onto the strings. If I try that, I'm sure something would break because I can't push it down further than a quarter inch. Also, when I 'use' the whammy bar a few times. My strings go out of tune. Which is strange because the guitar just came out of the shop for a repair and check-out.

Any advice?
PSN name = Barmanation
what guitar do you have? is it a floyd rose, strat style, or bigsby?
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
then it should go down WAY more than an inch. mine can touch the body without to much trouble. maybve watch some vids on tremolo techniques?

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Right. It does go down more now. that's not a problem anymore. But why do my strings go out of tune when i use the thing?
PSN name = Barmanation
Quote by WantToLearn
Right. It does go down more now. that's not a problem anymore. But why do my strings go out of tune when i use the thing?

they will without a locking nut or locking tuners the strat style trem is not designed for big divebombs.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
they will without a locking nut or locking tuners the strat style trem is not designed for big divebombs.

Thanks. That clears things up.
PSN name = Barmanation
^^please dont try to comment on a topic you dont fully understand.

a locking nut WILL NOT work in your situation. you need fine tuners for a locking nut. lockint tuners and a better nut (roller or graphite) are nice but not nesesarry.

i have a starcaser (~$100 from target) that is 100% stock and it stays in tune forever. and im VERY heavy handed on the trem. next string change make sure you wrap your strings properly and that you put some graphite (pencil lead) dust IN the nut slots. opening the nut slots will help to but thats a more complicated subject.

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by f22master

a locking nut WILL NOT work in your situation. you need fine tuners for a locking nut. lockint tuners and a better nut (roller or graphite) are nice but not nesesarry.

No, he was right. Strat styled tremolos aren't designed with major dive bombs in mind. He never actually suggested putting a locking nut on the guitar.

i have a starcaser (~$100 from target) that is 100% stock and it stays in tune forever. and im VERY heavy handed on the trem. next string change make sure you wrap your strings properly and that you put some graphite (pencil lead) dust IN the nut slots. opening the nut slots will help to but thats a more complicated subject.

That's not something you hear very often. I've heard both Steve Vai and Joe Satriani talk about having constant tuning issues with their trems.

Anyway, there are three things that will really help. As mentioned, graphite - or any kind of nut lubricant from your local guitar store will help significantly.

The second, make sure you're winding your strings properly.

Last, make sure your strings are stretched.

You can resort to locking tuners if you want. They help a lot, and they make string changes a much faster and easier process.

You can replace your nut with a rolling nut, but honestly I wouldn't recommend it. I tried it for a while and I lost a good deal of sustain and tone.

You can look into filing out your nut a bit, but I DO NOT recommend you do this yourself. Have a pro look at it and decide whether it would help or not.

As for what to do with it. Well, it depends what kind of thing you're going for, but I suggest you get really familiar with Jeff Beck. Search for lessons on his style on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LK_bi_bFYY
^mine will stay in tune as good as that one and i have a 6-point trem.

but locking tuners and a new nut are really a last resort kinda thing.

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by f22master

yes you COMPLETELY misunderstood me,

what i was getting at was you can`t use the trem for "major divebombs" without having the stability that the 2 devices mentioned offer, i am well aware that fine tuners are needed for locking nut equipped guitars.

geez i`ve been playing and working with guitars for alot longer than you`ve graced this planet with your presence.
well sorry. i thought you were telling him to get a locking nut and that would magicaly solve his tuning issues. my bad!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
You should be able to feel and hear how far it should go, if you push it down 1cm and there's loads of resistance and the pitch drops a whole step or something, then that's how far it goes. Mine doesn't go a whole inch down, maybe half an inch.