I've been wondering lately if it is possible to perfectly play a song that someone else wrote. At first I thought it was but I was listening to crazy train, and now i'm not so sure. There are so many nuances in Randy's playing, so many minute details and personal touches. It makes me think it is almost impossible to emulate it. And not just Randy either. Pretty much every artist i've listened to has their own personal touch. What do you guys think? Is it possible to capture these nuances and play a song as the artist did, or can you only get so close?
Don't emulate-innovate. A perfect cover is one that is now personalized to your style.
I would never want to. I'd rather make a cover song my own, and interpret it my own way.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
I think you can only get so close, as everyone is individually differnet we of course inject our own perosnalitiesi nto the music we play, therefore any covers we do will have our personalities implanted into the cover rather than thoseo f hte orignal musician, even if we try to emulate those nuances, they will still be differnet as its us tryibng to sound like hme, but not actually thme playing...at least thats what i tihnk so im in agreement with you. Its possible to nail the chords and notes perfectly but itll still sound like you rather than them i tihnk.
A more important question I think you should ask yourself is:

why would you want to?
Quote by rockadoodle
I've been wondering lately if it is possible to perfectly play a song that someone else wrote. At first I thought it was but I was listening to crazy train, and now i'm not so sure. There are so many nuances in Randy's playing, so many minute details and personal touches. It makes me think it is almost impossible to emulate it. And not just Randy either. Pretty much every artist i've listened to has their own personal touch. What do you guys think? Is it possible to capture these nuances and play a song as the artist did, or can you only get so close?

It can be done. Some things are harder than others.

As a learning experience, it's worth the effort to try.

I generally like to imitate my favorite players as closely as I can, and save the "personal touch" thing, for my own music.

Quote by Zaphikh
A more important question I think you should ask yourself is:

why would you want to?

1) it's fun
2) you can potentially learn ALOT.

Quote by Toker420
Don't emulate-innovate. A perfect cover is one that is now personalized to your style.

I disagree with this, though it's a valid opinion.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 27, 2009,
even if you could get all the technical parts perfect you could never emulate their tone exactly, even if you had the same exact equipment, so no.

and what's the point in playing it exactly like them? they already did that, too late now

just play it your own way, in fact on most of my band's cover songs we change up a lot of parts on purpose.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
even if you could get all the technical parts perfect you could never emulate their tone exactly, even if you had the same exact equipment, so no.

and what's the point in playing it exactly like them? they already did that, too late now

just play it your own way, in fact on most of my band's cover songs we change up a lot of parts on purpose.

The point is..... fun & education.

when you try to imitate someone's tone (and it IS possible to get it really close......it's not a useless endeavor as you imply), you learn something in the process.

If your really concerned with not doing things that have already been done, you probably shouldn't even play guitar because most things your going to play have "already been done before".
shred is gaudy music
Years ago, in London, at a pub called The ****(oops! Male Hen) on the North Circular Road, there was a covers band that were far too good. They did Beatles and many other pop band's stuff. Their show-stopper was absolutely stunning. It was an early Yes song called Yours Is No Disgrace. Look it up and give it a listen. I still can't believe some pub band played this thing with every nuance of the original.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Last edited by Lurcher at Jun 27, 2009,
Quote by Lurcher
Years ago, in London, at a pub called The ****(oops! Male Hen) on the North Circular Road, there was a covers band that were far too good. They did Beatles and many other pop band's stuff. Their show-stopper was absolutely stunning. It was an early Yes song called Yours iIs No Disgrace. Look it up and give it a listen. I still can't believe some pub band played this thing with every nuance of the original.

Awesome. I would have alot of respect for a band that can pull that off.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
The point is..... fun & education.

when you try to imitate someone's tone (and it IS possible to get it really close......it's not a useless endeavor as you imply), you learn something in the process.

If your really concerned with not doing things that have already been done, you probably shouldn't even play guitar because most things your going to play have "already been done before".

I didn't say that, my point was that you should do it your own way, put your own touch to the song.
Quote by rockadoodle

why would you want to anyway? if heard someone play a song exactly like the original, i wouldnt like it at all. i dont even like to hear bands play their songs the same live as on the CD. to me, covers and live versions shouldnt be the same as the original versions. i think those are things you need to make your own.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
I didn't say that, my point was that you should do it your own way, put your own touch to the song.

My point is that doing it your own way denies you the chance of learning something from the original. Besides the fact that it can be quite fun and challenging to imitate the original.

What a person "should" do is quite an individual thing. I wouldn't say that they "should" learn cover note for note, or that they "should" do their own thing. I would just say that there are benefits to both.
shred is gaudy music
in relation to the OP, of course it is possible. you shouldnt limit yourself to what is possible. in response to your example, buckethead (brian carroll) has played the crazy train solo perfect, note for note, live on various occasions. not to mention when he was in the so called reincarnation of guns n roses, he played all of slash's solos note for note perfect, especially the night train one, which is viewable on youtube.
With things like phrasing and those little things (Like a note held just a little bit longer), I think it might be possible (anything is) but tough, and not really worth it. No one should, as it was their style that had those little differences, and everyone should try to be different - that's what all the greats did.

I think in that sense, though, you could learn their styles, including their phrasing and stuff, to build your own style or whatever.
Well, think about it this way.

I can go onto youtube right now and type in "Beethoven's 9th." And I'll get about 30 different recordings, done in various points in history, at different parts of the planet, by different conductors, orchestras, what have you. And every one of those recordings will be Beethoven's 9th. But not one of those recordings will be the same as any other recording, and truthfully, none of them will exactly match what Beethoven heard in his head while he was composing his symphony. But its still the 9th. At about 30 jillion different tempii, in hundreds of concert hall, and with thousands of different players, its still Beethoven's 9th. Just because Bernstein's version with the Vienna Phil (which everybody should listen to because it is fantastic) is not the exact same, down to the nitty-gritty detail version Beethoven had in mind, is it any less of an accomplishment? Of course not.

I wouldn't so much say that exactly emulating someone's previous version is "perfection." Its just, different. Think about other ways to measure the "perfection" of your work.
"I love music, it's not like math. In music, 2+2 can equal 5, if it's a pretty enough 5." -Samuel R. Hazo

"Alle menschen werden bruder- all men become brothers"
-Ludwig Van Beethoven, from his 9th Symphony.

-John
Quote by GuitarMunky

1) it's fun
2) you can potentially learn ALOT.

I find it tedious to learn somebody else's work.

I'm glad you used the word "potentially" as I've learned the majority of everything I know from composing though trial and error with recording my own music.

Just not my cup of tea
you can never play something exactly as someone else did, in Randy's case he never played it the same way as he recorded and i doubt he or anyone else could but when you coiver a song its beter that you put your own style into it
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
I never try to "nail" a cover song. I like to add my own thing to it. On some I even go so far as taking out a chord or two that I dont like and adding someother one.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Why try? And if you're going to, why not try tool?

YOU. WILL. FAIL.
Soon, death metal's drums will be so fast only computers will be able to listen to it.

94? Not bad. It shall improve >=)

Who's looking for hosting? My/My Friends site will be up and running soon, looking for customers - PM me if interested.
It can be done. Check out Jun626 on youtube. Best Led Zeppelin covers swear he was Jimmy Page. Plays everything perfect.