So I found out that the person I traded my crappy Dean starter bass to doesn't want it anymore, and she's probably giving it back to me. I've been thinking of what I would do with it, and I got the idea to tune it to BEAD. So, here's my understanding:

1) Get a 5 string string set
2) File the nut so the spaces for the strings are wider, put on BEAD strings
3) Adjust the truss rod. Here's where I'm a bit confused, as I haven't done a truss rod adjustment before. Which way to I adjust it, and how can I tell when it's right?
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Quote by Mephysteaux
So I found out that the person I traded my crappy Dean starter bass to doesn't want it anymore, and she's probably giving it back to me. I've been thinking of what I would do with it, and I got the idea to tune it to BEAD. So, here's my understanding:

1) Get a 5 string string set
2) File the nut so the spaces for the strings are wider, put on BEAD strings
3) Adjust the truss rod. Here's where I'm a bit confused, as I haven't done a truss rod adjustment before. Which way to I adjust it, and how can I tell when it's right?

And I just accidentally a coca cola bottle.

Youve got all the steps. Its been a while since I touched my truss rod, but if I recall, righty tighty lefty loosey still applies. Small small SMALL turns to start, no more than a quarter turn at a time. Then wait a day or so to see how the turn effects the neck. Make further adjustments as needed. Also, make sure you put a mark where you started so you can see how far youve turned it total

Youll know its right because the neck will have a tiny amount of whats called relief. Thats when the neck is curved inward a little towards the front of the body.

If you over tighten, you get back bow. Thats when the neck is curved towards the back of the body. If this happens, stop immediately, take it to a pro. Back bow is not serious if you know what your doing, but left as it is, it can destroy your bass more or less. And most people who are new to adjustments panic and start making wild crazy adjustments. So if this happens, just let a professional show you how to fix it
Last edited by tubatom868686 at Jun 27, 2009,
I get the odd feeling you're a guitarist. this is the bass forum and he's looking to tune his bass to the lower strings of a 5 string. thus BEAD
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Exactly. So, I would want to be tightening the truss rod I guess, and just do it until I get a decent tone and feel and a straight neck??
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
No, not a straight neck. Correctly intonated basses have a slight forward bow, which is checked by measuring the relief of the neck. Tone has next to nothing to do with it. You:

a) Adjust the trussrod for relief
b) Adjust the string lengths for intonation
c) Adjust action to your preference
d) repeat b and c until you are correctly intonated at the right action for you.