Hey,

I know there are a few of these out here already, but i really need some input on my specific question. so right now i have active electronics in my guitar, and i have a set of SD passives that i want to put into it. the question is, what else am i going to need? I have experience soldering so thats not the issue. I have some pots sitting around, and some other electronics stuff that would work, but what else would i need? would i need to replace the caps? or could it be as simple as disconecting the old connections from the actives, and then replacing the connections with the passives?

a little help is much appreciated.

also i can look up a diagram on SD's site, but can any one provide a better, more specific to my case diagram?
More specific to your case??? Your case is no different than any other pickups swap. You can't just use any old pot and no it's not as sinple as just swapping the pickups into the current wiring scheme. Active pickups use lower value pots than passives. Look up the schematic and it will tell you what value pots to use with your passives. Other than the pots, you'll need wire, a soldering iron, and a tone capacitor if you're going to use a tone pot. The value of the capacitor is up to since this is your guitar and your tone. If you're unsure of what value to get, refer to the schematic.
Guitar:
Dean Vendetta 3 - Dave Mustaine Livewires

Amplifier
Carvin X100B - Bias Mod - Tungsol 12AX7's - JJ KT77's

I have built the most badass 212 that puts all others to shame
Quote by MeanwiththeDean
More specific to your case??? Your case is no different than any other pickups swap. You can't just use any old pot and no it's not as sinple as just swapping the pickups into the current wiring scheme. Active pickups use lower value pots than passives. Look up the schematic and it will tell you what value pots to use with your passives. Other than the pots, you'll need wire, a soldering iron, and a tone capacitor if you're going to use a tone pot. The value of the capacitor is up to since this is your guitar and your tone. If you're unsure of what value to get, refer to the schematic.

by specific to my case i meant different then the other 3 that are up right now.

thanks for the input
What kind of guitar do you have and what kind of bridge does it have. One problem you'll have when putting passive pickups in a guitar that came with actives from the factory is most of them don't have a ground wire coming from the bridge. Actives don't need the bridge to be grounded so guitar companies don't put the wire in. If you guitar has a trem it won't be too hard to run a wire to the trem claw to ground it but if you guitar has a fixed bridge like a TOM it's a little more complicated. You'll have to pull the bushing out & drill a hole from the control cavity to the hole for the bushing to run the wire through.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
What kind of guitar do you have and what kind of bridge does it have. One problem you'll have when putting passive pickups in a guitar that came with actives from the factory is most of them don't have a ground wire coming from the bridge. Actives don't need the bridge to be grounded so guitar companies don't put the wire in. If you guitar has a trem it won't be too hard to run a wire to the trem claw to ground it but if you guitar has a fixed bridge like a TOM it's a little more complicated. You'll have to pull the bushing out & drill a hole from the control cavity to the hole for the bushing to run the wire through.

yeah i thought about that too. i remembered something about grounding, but wasnt sure exactly. I have a schecter C1-FR, so i dont think it will be too much of a problem to ground to the claw, like you stated.

does anyone know retail stores where i could buy the correct caps? according do the diagram that i got off of SD's website, they list a 0.47 Cap.

all i could really find that was even close were these, but i suspect that i am wrong

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062364

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102418

any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: i just cant read. its actually 0.047. so the one that i listed that is 0.047 50V disc cap would be the one i want, correct?
Last edited by xXMetal-HeadXx at Jun 27, 2009,
0.047 or 0.022uF would be just fine.
Voltage is irrelevent.
A pickup will never have enough output to exceed any cap's voltage rating.

Larger value for a deeper tone cut when the knob is at zero.

Won't make a noticeable difference when the knob is at ten.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
0.047 or 0.022uF would be just fine.
Voltage is irrelevent.
A pickup will never have enough output to exceed any cap's voltage rating.

Larger value for a deeper tone cut when the knob is at zero.

Won't make a noticeable difference when the knob is at ten.

alright. Im off to go grab another pot, and some caps, and these bitches are goin in tonight. gotta have somethin to do tonight, im too hungover still to go drinkin.