alright so my bud just showed me this car called the Bugatti Veyron on the internet, and it's basically just insane, its got 64 valves, 16 cylinders in a W configuration, 4 turbochargers and 10 radiators among other pretty neat features

here's a few links if you want to read up abit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugatti_Veyron
http://www.bugatti.com/en/home.html

anywayyss, so besides this car being totally nuts and the fact that is has 1001hp and can go 407km/h, i'm having trouble understanding it's W configuration engine.

i read up on what a W engine is, which is basically the same principle as a V engine except with one more row of cylinders, buuuut, on the Veyron they say it has a W engine except it says ''16 cylinders in two banks of eight cylinders'', so that would make it a V right? i mean there's no third part, they say it has two ''banks'' of cylinders ''or the equivalent of two narrow angle v8 engines in a W configuration'', which just doesnt make sense to me how theres only two banks of cylinders and they say its a W configuration.

Am I missing something here? I ain't no car wiz but I do know some in-depth stuff, I just don't see how this makes sense, any mechanics or someone here who can explain this??

saved you some time, instead of looking for link and page i just copy/paste the part of which they talk about it:

''The Veyron features a W16 engine — 16 cylinders in two banks of eight cylinders, or the equivalent of two narrow-angle V8 engines mated in a "W" configuration. Each cylinder has 4 valves for a total of 64, but the narrow staggered 8 configuration allows two camshafts to drive two banks of cylinders so only 4 camshafts are needed. The engine is fed by four turbochargers and displaces 8.0 L (7,993 cc/488 cu in) with a square 86 mm by 86 mm (3.4 in × 3.4 in) bore and stroke.''

Thanks much...
I'm sorry. I have no idea what the hell you are asking.

Edit: Oh, okay.
Quote by imdeth
You're like internet Jesus!

This signature feels so empty now.
Last edited by RG5EX1 at Jun 27, 2009,
Basically I just don't get how it's a W engine when they say it has only two banks of 8 cylinders
no its 4 banks of 4 wich make the w trust me the two banks are just shaped like a v
"Remember folks, it's all bull****. It's all bull**** and it's bad for ya." ~ George Carlin.
RIP
"The last real man in showbiz"
Just stop worrying about it, it's not like you'll ever own one or even see one in real life.

But seriously, that sounds confusing. I give up.
You answered it yourself in the stuff you quoted. Just imagine two V8s side by side, thus VV or W.
basically it is 2 v8 engines in one block, it has 2 crankshafts so the 2 v's meet in the middle row of cylinders and then the outside rows are the other half of the v's
Dude, I'm about to graduate college and I remember reading about the Veyron as a freshman in high school.

Just imagine 2 V8 motors sitting next to each other. Not that hard.
think that car is slick check out this one, http://www.shelbysupercars.com/car-specs.php its the SSC Ultimate Aero TT production car, it just beat the Bugatti Veyron making it the worlds fastest production car. Not by much mind you But when you look at the specs of each car its pretty amazing

1. SSC Ultimate Aero TT - 411.76 km/h
2. Bugatti Veyron - 400 km/h
the veyron is old news. the SSC Ultimate Aero TT and the Koenigsegg CCXR are both faster, and both have more horsepower from regular old V8s.

what a W engine is, is 2 V engines basically stuck together. so it DOES have 2 banks, except those banks are in the shape of a V, and both those Vs make a W. consider staying on top of the cars subject man, the veyron is ANCIENT news.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jun 27, 2009,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
the veyron is old news. the SSC Ultimate Aero TT and the Koenigsegg CCXR are both faster, and both have more horsepower from regular old V8s.

this.
Quote by Natrone
I'm a pretty hardcore Christian. I would like to sincerely apologize that you ran into that little fucktard

Quote by mystique facade
dale-banez made a fool of himself..lol

my gear:

oh wait, no one cares
think of each part of the W to be a V and each V is a V8 engine. Two Vs (VV) looks like a W thats why its a W engine.

It's pretty much two V8s smashed together. Not that insane.
Ohhhhh ok ok, i get it, for some reason i was imagining the W shape in a different way... lol dont ask how..

and yes, i do realise its been out for awhile, but ive only just found out about it, so i'm still in trip-out mode right now.
Quote by hammondrckr
basically it is 2 v8 engines in one block, it has 2 crankshafts so the 2 v's meet in the middle row of cylinders and then the outside rows are the other half of the v's

Actually thats not true. The Veyron only has one crankshaft and the motor itself looks like a traditional V block. Its not until you get into the motor that you see the "W" shape of the cylinder configuration. It is actually dual 8 cylinder banks but due to the size of the pistons, which are still substantially smaller then typical car piston heads, the engine block has been enlarged in the cylinder area and the sleeves for each cylinder are staggered. Similar to this: .*.*.*.*, on each bank. But aside from that it is built like a typical v-block engine.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You've only just heard about the Veyron? They've been available for about 6 years now.

yeah i knew about them before availability when i was about 10 or 11.
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You've only just heard about the Veyron? They've been available for about 6 years now.

My thoughts exactly.