My dad is building me a guitar, and he wants me to Specify all the details for him. This is his first attempt and neither of us really know all the ins and outs of guitar making. He's making me a Les Paul shaped guitar. I have an LTD F401 and it has "XJ" frets which i really like, but it has 24 frets. There is really no need for 24 frets on this les paul he is making me because i won't be able to reach the last 2 or 3 frets very easily. So like in my thread Title, my question is: Can you make a 25.5 scale neck with 22 frets and make it work? Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated by both me and my Dad.
Yes. I am quite sure. I think most fender necks are 25.5 scale with 21 frets, so you'd have to just figure out how to match the notes up and such, I forgot the word.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
yes you can, as long as all the other frets are in the same relative position. fenders traditionally have 25.5" scale with 21 frets, but some models they simply add another overhanging fret on the end so their 22 and 21 fret necks are interchangeable.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jun 27, 2009,
Absolutely, i have a tele copy with such a neck. If you don't want to make one you can buy one from carvin.
Sure. In fact, most MIA Fenders have 22 frets now.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Fender uses this scale on their 21 and 22 fret strats, so yes, it can be done.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^