I bought a 5150 combo recently and am going to look at a TS9 OD pedal tonight to use as a boost for my amp. I have heard that you want to have the settings pretty low on the amp, especially the Pre-Gain, and then crank the settings on the OD pedal to get the best results. But I have also heard that you want to have both of the settings/EQ cranked (amp and OD pedal).

My common sense would tell me that the first idea would probably work better, but I'm wanting the opinions of you guys.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Clean tightening boost, or cutting solo boost?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Clean tightening boost, or cutting solo boost?

I'm guessing getting a tight boost would be lowering the EQ settings on the amp and a solo boost would be keeping the amp the same right?

It will probably depend on what song I'm playing to be honest. The other guitarist in my band and I trade off solos when we have them in our songs so I'll probably just use them both, just change the settings before each song.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
id keep your settings just about the same on the amp as before, except maybe lower the preamp gain (it should never go past noon imo) then on the pedal set the drive to 0 and the level to 10
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Metalcoresoul
I'm guessing getting a tight boost would be lowering the EQ settings on the amp and a solo boost would be keeping the amp the same right?

It will probably depend on what song I'm playing to be honest. The other guitarist in my band and I trade off solos when we have them in our songs so I'll probably just use them both, just change the settings before each song.

I ask because the TS has a mid hump you'd have to mod to remove, so it's a great solo kicker but not as good for a clean boost if you want to keep the same tone, but tighter.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.