Page 1 of 3
i started using them when i started guitar about 3 years ago and honestly i dont see why everyone say its the string of their choice...
ive had many problems with them and they dont seem too reliable ...
ive stopped buying them and went with Daddario and they work much better imo...less breakage and less problems

whats your strings of choice? and why

forgot to add that i play blues and classic rock, doesnt matter but ya...
27mMoV31II7.a2
Last edited by Antimage27 at Jun 27, 2009,
Slinkies are not as good as d'addarios

ernie ball musicman guitars are overpriced.

the volume pedal is sticky and not smooth.

its not just you.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

i use dean markley .11, with a wound 3rd

idk, i change strings often, before this i was using curt mangan .10, but now im playing a lot more DM, so yeah wound 3rd is awesome for that
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Yeah, I agree. I used to always use them because it seemed like a lot of artists use them, and they seemed attractive; but about a year or two ago I switched to D'addario, and I never seem to break a string, and they generally feel better, with better quality control.
I feel the same way about D'Addarios as you feel about EB's. I don't know how anyone can find acceptable the fact that D'Adds rust so quickly. If you put a brand new set of EXL110's on then play a couple hours, the strings already are dark gray in spots and uncomfortable. They sound terrific new, but they get uncomfortable so f'in fast its unbelievable. As much as I hate admitting it, I switched to Fender Bullets ever since I got my American strat. I wondered why the new strings on my American strat stayed comfortable so much longer than my other guitars. I can play a set of Fender strings for a month and they are still completely comfortable. They are still worn down and have lost a slight amount of tone (which is usually what makes me change them) but they are still comfortable to play. I don't know what else Fender puts into their nickel plating but it works 20 times better than any other string I have tried in terms of blocking corrosion.
Well, Ernie Balls last me at least 3 to 4 months... D'Addarios and DM's around 2 months...
I've never had a problem with EB's, and string breakage depends a lot on the tension and gauge of the strings. I'll keep with my Beefy Slinkys.
Even God has a Hell, his love for Humanity.
by Friedrich Nietzsche

Call me Edge
Dean Markley Blue Steels, .10's.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I did the same thing. I started out using Ernie Balls cuz that's what "everyone" else was using. I broke them by the dozen and they would never stay in tune. Then I switched to Boomers, and now I use Elixers.
I use Hybrid Slinkys on all of my guitars (except for my acoustic, I use D'addarios) and I have had absolutely no breaks. They stay in tune, the tone is great, and they are cheap! I have had trouble with D'addarios breaking a lot, so I tries these and love them. Plus I always clean them with Fast Fret and they stay good for months. I just changed them yesterday for the first time since January on my Charvel.
I use D'addario XL Nickelwound .011-.049. They last 2-3 weeks.
I need to clean my fretboard.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Jun 27, 2009,
I use d'Addario XL nickel-wound .10 - 0.46.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by kyle62
Yes, they agree to let Ernie Ball use their name in exchange for unlimitd free strings. It's a called an 'endorsement'.

And don't forget, they get their strings changed by a professional tech every single night, so it hardly matters what brand they use. Don't be so naive....

Ernie Balls go out of tune so quickly and need to be changed more often. I like the D'Addario's 11/49's, last so much longer that the EB's
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
believe it or not, i posted a thread about how i had a wierd machine gun like feedback on my strat at the 19th fret on the high E string and i couldnt figure out why...until i broke it...put a new one on and guess what...its gone now
lol
if u wanna know what i mean check out my profile i recorded it
27mMoV31II7.a2
i use Ernie Balls. Started with D'A's but they lose their tone and snap fast with me. The out of tune thing is just how you wound your strings etc. etc. I can't understand how ppl can break strings while playing i really dont know what string is the best but i dont have any problems with my EB Not Even Slinky 12-56's
Guitars
Jackson SL3MG
Ibanez RGR321EX
Kramer 120
Bass
Epiphone Embassy Standard V
Amp
Engl Ritchie Blackmore Signature
Pick
Jim Dunlop Max Grip Carbon Jazz III
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
did anyone do a test of which string has the least breakage and problems ?
27mMoV31II7.a2
I use Ernie Balls, they keep their tone longer than any other ones I've tried, which is why I really never change mine

I've never had any brand of string snap on me
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I like the coated super slinkys as well as elixers
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by Antimage27
did anyone do a test of which string has the least breakage and problems ?

I really want to do this.

Take a pack of strings from each big manufacturer you can think of. Use the High E. Get a crossbar of some sort. Tie/secure/fasten the string to the cross bar. Add weights to the other side of the string of a set and defined weight/mass (say, 5 pounds each). See how much weight the string can bear.

That'd be the only empirical way to test the strength of strings.

Until then, I'll keep using what feels good to me.
I actually avoided EB's because of the artists on the back, but I've tried nearly every brand. D'addario's feel great and look great, but they last about a month, and then break a couple of weeks later. Dean Markley's were way too bright for me and broke within 2-3 weeks.
Ernie Balls were the only brand that lasted 3 month's and they would've lasted longer had I not had to make some mods and cut the string short. They feel great, the tone lasts, string breakage nearly never happens. They were the last brand I tried, and they're on top of my list. I may switch to Dunlop strings though, as I haven't tried those. Using the 2220 set, and I'm happy with them.
I've never had a problem with Ernie Ball's, STHB's are my favorite strings (so far).

I use D'addario's on my acoustics though, so I may have to check out their electric strings...

Mostly I have to take what I can get. D'Adarios I don't like and am about to change my Cort over to EB Super Slinky. I prefer Brite Wires but I can only get them online from UK and pay carriage so I'll order a dozen sets to make it worth while. They are still more money than what the local shop stock.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

i've always used ernie ball strings (regular/power slinky sets) and i've only had a few broken high E strings from excessive bending or picking very hard while the strings were worn out, and one low E which made the intonation very flat for some reason and that's in the space of about 4 years that i've been playing electric guitar. i've had more problems in the occasions which i've used another brand, than i have using ernie balls overall - and not setup problems like you should expect.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jun 27, 2009,
I had the same problem with them breaking and I switched to D'Addario's which work much better and breaks less often.
the bottom line is, whatever string you like and works for you, is the best string. this is all opinion anyway
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Quote by madh4ttr
the bottom line is, whatever string you like and works for you, is the best string. this is all opinion anyway

this. it's 100% opinion.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I haven't broken a string in 10 years and I play the crap out of my guitars. I have an $85 box of DR MT-10 rotting in my studio. They are the only strings I have ever put on and took off essentially new because I hated them so much. Dull and lifeless and impossible to bend and the feel of them was like fingernails on a chalkboard!

D'Addario XL110 are ok.

My favorite? Ernie Ball Super Slinkys and Regular Slinkys for down tuning. Best strings you can buy. The feel great. Sound rich. Hold up to Floyd Rose torture and last forever.
When I first started a friend turned me on to EB's. I used them for a while and then noticed that they always had a weird sound/feel to them. Maybe they just don't fit my playing style, so I switched to D'Addario's. I used DA's up until about 4 months ago and now I'm stuck on DR's. I used the regular's up until today when I got two packs of the DR Pure Blues, haven't put them on yet but hopefully they'll be just as nice.
Elixir 11's - Stay smooth and easy for ages.
,___,
[O.¬] - WTF?
/)__)
-"--"-
There are better strings out there but slinkys are inexpensive and pretty good value.
Dean Markley LTHB. Vastly superior to Ernie Balls. I'd like to try their guitars though, even if they're overpriced. Oh, and their old amps ruled.
Quote by MatrixClaw
I use Ernie Balls, they keep their tone longer than any other ones I've tried, which is why I really never change mine

I've never had any brand of string snap on me

People keep saying this, but I find they go dead in a week, even when cleaned
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jun 27, 2009,
Quote by Shinozoku
Dean Markley LTHB. Vastly superior to Ernie Balls. I'd like to try their guitars though, even if they're overpriced. Oh, and their old amps ruled.

People keep saying this, but I find they go dead in a week, even when cleaned

Is that like the Ernie Ball Skinny Top, Heavy Bottom's? I might have to try those out, I'm a big fan of the whole 'light top, heavy bottom' strings idea.
**** yeah Ernie Ball isn't that great. I've been waiting for their damn results on the Dallas leg of Warped Tour and now there's only a week left and no one still knows who's playing.

...ha. in all seriousness though, I can't stand their products. I'm still using Power Slinkies out of habit, but I hate them. D'addario for the win.
-GEAR-

Schecter C-1 XXX
Squier Fender Stratocaster
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960A Lead Cabinet
Peavey Studio Pro 112
MXR Carbon Copy

Check out my band:www.myspace.com/silentsurrendertx
ive tried D'addarios and hated them soo much they looked old after about 2 hours of play. EB's work better with emg pickups i find (and eliminate some vibration from trem springs) and they last longer and sound better. its just preference really.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Quote by SOADriff
ive tried D'addarios and hated them soo much they looked old after about 2 hours of play. EB's work better with emg pickups i find (and eliminate some vibration from trem springs) and they last longer and sound better. its just preference really.

Exactly, I swear they look worn after no time at all. I have that problem with EB's too though, they look worn so quickly. Fenders dont though. I wonder if certain coatings react with people's skin oil differently or something, because some people don't claim to have those kind of issues with D'Adds.
I use Ernie Ball Slinky .09's.

I've been using them for maybe a year? I've never actually broken one, although I do change them every 2 months. Quite a noticeable difference than when I just went into the local music store and asked for the cheapest strings they had. lol

I started gigging so I guess thats why I decided on some higher quality strings.
Quote by SOADriff

Yes, I like how ernie balls sound with my Fender strat with emgs. You can hear the difference over other strings I've used.
D'addario's are the ones I usually get(even though they do look old quickly, who cares?), but to be honest I still have first act strings that have never broken....and I play hard(at least on the guitar i put them on). I don't put too much emphasis on strings when it comes to sound though... that's not to say I'm not aware though
If it is attatched to an amp and doesnt go shred...what...what the hell is it?? Eww..
Page 1 of 3