Looking at their site, there are two kinds of Blackouts; Blackouts Metal AHB-2 and Blackouts AHB-1. Whenever I see people talk about these pickups they just refer to them as "Blackouts vs EMGs" or what have you. Are people generally referring to the AHB-2s?

Also...If I were to buy an ESP Horizon ntii (mahogany body, maple top, maple neck), any estimates on how this pickup would sound? (or more specifically compared to JB, Painkillers, and EMG 81/60).

Thanks!
Usually they're referring to the regular Blackouts, I haven't heard much talk about the Metals on here. I've tried the regular ones though and they sound great to me, better than EMGs imo.

However, they're not even in the same class as Painkillers (and neither are the rest of the pickups you listed).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Usually they're referring to the regular Blackouts, I haven't heard much talk about the Metals on here. I've tried the regular ones though and they sound great to me, better than EMGs imo.

However, they're not even in the same class as Painkillers (and neither are the rest of the pickups you listed).

Are BKP's really that good? And which one would you recommend for an Alder body guitar?
I'm confused though, on their website the regular AHB-1 blackouts aren't listed as "high output pickups", while the JBs are (as well as the AHB-2). Surely if the blackouts are in the same class as EMGs they would be listed as high output pickups.
i have both and there is not much of a difference. compare them to EMG 85/81 combo. Do not compare them with an EMG 60.

the blackouts are slightly higher output in contrast to my EMG60/81 combo. The neck is higher output which is the only significant difference I really noticed and that for leads I kind of preferred the Blackouts as I thought note definition was slightly better for highs using the bridge pickup.

really not a lot in it
Thanks for the reply scott. When you say 60/81 and 85/81, are you referring to the usual configurations of 60 in neck, 81 in bridge, and 85 in neck, 81 in bridge? Also how would you compare the AHB-1s and the AHB-2? What specifically makes them different? I do enjoy a tighter, maybe even compressed sound over a trebly fuzz of too much distortion, are the AHB-1s better for me? Thanks again.